Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 10 years, the stock muffler on my 2006 SE had rusted through in multiple places. I recently did a car-back replacement with a Walker QuietFlow muffler. Seems a little louder than stock (muffler is physically smaller) and also seems to generate more vibration in the floorboard and cabin, especially at idle. With that said, a couple of questions:

The new Walker tailpipe does not have a spot to mount the vibration dampener from the OE tailpipe. I suppose that I could clamp it on with a band clamp, however some other threads suggest that it may not make a difference. Any thoughts?

I did not reinstall the pipe-mounted heat shields, which are in acceptable shape but are spotted with rust. Any reason that I should reinstall them?

Appreciate the responses!

JKG

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Walker is a good brand, but they aren't as good as the factory system when it comes to noise, vibration or longevity. I doubt the weight will do much, but you could try it and if it doesn't, you could always take it off; most people usually leave them off. As far as the heat shields, you could leave them off as well, but installing them will provide a heat barrier between the pipes and the chassis.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walker is a good brand, but they aren't as good as the factory system when it comes to noise, vibration or longevity. I doubt the weight will do much, but you could try it and if it doesn't, you could always take it off; most people usually leave them off. As far as the heat shields, you could leave them off as well, but installing them will provide a heat barrier between the pipes and the chassis.
Thanks for the reply. Not sure what to expect with longevity, but if I get at least 5 years out of it I won't be too disappointed. It is slightly louder at some RPMs, but doesn't seem too far off from the factory system, and it quiets down some at normal operating temperatures. It was about half the cost of the factory parts. On the other hand, if it comes apart in a year or two, I won't be too happy. Seems like the most popular "quiet" aftermarket replacement.

I did clamp the vibration dampener on to the tailpipe, and it did not appear to materially change the behavior of the exhaust, so I removed it. I suspect that the dampener is designed to offset specific vibrations on the OEM system, which are different on the aftermarket system. I wasn't expecting it to have much of an effect, so I wasn't disappointed.

As for the heat shields, I'm not sure how much of an effect they have over top of the pipes, which seem to be a good distance from the cab floor to begin with (the muffler shield is still in place). Since they're fairly littered with rust, I'll probably leave them off for now.

JKG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts