Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon everyone, so I’m a little disappointed on these cats I purchased on rock auto in January of 2018 for my 2005 v6 both up and down stream. There warranty is 25k, but I think I hit that check engine light a couple thousand before.
Sucks cause in the mean time I used foul plugs for the o2 sensors to try and solve the check engine light but I didn’t work, well not for long anyways.

I guess my question is what are some decent brands I could look into that aren’t oem ones cause they cost a lot of money. And california sucks due to emission laws and most places can’t resell them unless it’s on the lowdown.

Thanks for the help rich

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Cats have platinum in them - one of the most expensive metals there is. I think you're gonna get what you pay for. OEM cats have much longer warranties when in new vehicles - so I'd expect them to have enough platinum coated surface area to last longer than Cats that are far cheaper.

If you have a lot of miles on that engine, you could be wearing out your Cats faster because of running dirtier exhaust through them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you need to look into what made them fail.
Can you explain further ?
Cats have platinum in them - one of the most expensive metals there is. I think you're gonna get what you pay for. OEM cats have much longer warranties when in new vehicles - so I'd expect them to have enough platinum coated surface area to last longer than Cats that are far cheaper.

If you have a lot of miles on that engine, you could be wearing out your Cats faster because of running dirtier exhaust through them.
thanks for the reply, so maybe my engine is old and causing the cats to fail frequently

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
618 Posts
In order to figure out what your vehicle needs you need to remember the 5 things your engine needs to operate efficiently.
Good intake airflow, with good sensors filters ect(no vacuum leaks).
Good exhaust with good sensors (no leaks).
Proper fuel supply, make sure it is getting enough but not too much injectors, fuel lines, fuel filter(in tank) PCV.
Good compression, engine isn't excessively worn, oils/filters good, in timing.
Good spark, spark plugs, coil packs, battery, ECM, ect.

Usually a bad cat is due to long term of the engine getting too much fuel or not burning enough of the fuel due to faulty spark or not enough oxygen, or even getting oil into the cats though worn piston rings, valves ect. AKA there are many possible causes, you should of had those cats last at least double or triple that time, something is out of wack.

Fuel, Air, Spark, and Compression need to be at the proper levels for efficient running of any engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any tailpipe smoke when starting a cold engine? I think blue smoke indicates an oil burning problem, which, apparently, can take out cats fairly fast.

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 3" lift - Radflos, SPC ca, ADO +3leaf +shackles, Shrockworks skids
207 Posts
do you routinely use fuel additives? I had 2 brand new cats eaten by lucas upper cylinder lubricant-used it in every tank in the appropriate amount... Replaced, stopped using lucas, and 60k miles later the yet again new cats are fine.

02 sensors and your MAF sensor play together sending info to adjust the fuel mixture. If they are out of spec they will lead to a rich air/fuel mixture leading to unburned fuel leading to burned cats.

Do you keep up with maintenance?

Pull all of your spark plugs, inspect them for clues. Replace them with NGK's.

Compression test each of your cylinders while you do the plugs

think- fuel, air, spark, compression

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
618 Posts
do you routinely use fuel additives? I had 2 brand new cats eaten by lucas upper cylinder lubricant-used it in every tank in the appropriate amount... Replaced, stopped using lucas, and 60k miles later the yet again new cats are fine.
I forgot about additives!

Yea, I don't use them, some people swear by them, and then have major problems down the road. The only additives I trust are for Diesel systems, specifically the fuel additives for winter(that shiz really works). Though with modern diesel engines you have to be careful about what your putting in them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any tailpipe smoke when starting a cold engine? I think blue smoke indicates an oil burning problem, which, apparently, can take out cats fairly fast.
No white smoke or blue for that matter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

02 sensors and your MAF sensor play together sending info to adjust the fuel mixture. If they are out of spec they will lead to a rich air/fuel mixture leading to unburned fuel leading to burned cats.

Do you keep up with maintenance?

Pull all of your spark plugs, inspect them for clues. Replace them with NGK's.

Compression test each of your cylinders while you do the plugs

think- fuel, air, spark, compression
Thanks for the tips, the plugs were changed out last year or possibly two years ago maybe with 20k on them i know i did them when i lived in washington state. I keep up with all the maintenance myself. the 02 sensors were replaced with the cats and no i did not put any additives to the system besides once in all fill up and add some fuel injection cleaner but were talking every blue moon. Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In order to figure out what your vehicle needs you need to remember the 5 things your engine needs to operate efficiently.
Good intake airflow, with good sensors filters ect(no vacuum leaks).
Good exhaust with good sensors (no leaks).
Proper fuel supply, make sure it is getting enough but not too much injectors, fuel lines, fuel filter(in tank) PCV.
Good compression, engine isn't excessively worn, oils/filters good, in timing.
Good spark, spark plugs, coil packs, battery, ECM, ect.

Usually a bad cat is due to long term of the engine getting too much fuel or not burning enough of the fuel due to faulty spark or not enough oxygen, or even getting oil into the cats though worn piston rings, valves ect. AKA there are many possible causes, you should of had those cats last at least double or triple that time, something is out of wack.

Fuel, Air, Spark, and Compression need to be at the proper levels for efficient running of any engine.
thanks for the suggestions, maybe i could check for vacuum leaks for the most part i keep up with all the maintenance myself. for the most part everything has been changed minus fuel filter , and coil backs. Timing was done last year with a leak down test and the mechanic said the engine was good to go. I never paid attention the fuel system to be honest. One time and only once i had a hard time filling up, like the it wouldn't let me fill up while pumping in gas. It stop every two seconds, so i stood there for almost forever filled her up and then the next time it was gone and never repeated itself.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
After market cats contain less catalyst (precious metals) so they do not last as long. But one would expect more than 25k miles. Walker is one of the better brands. A much better brand is Nissan which has much more catalyst.

An early demise of a cat is due to over use in oxidizing hydrocarbons. How this happens while engine management is happy with the A/F ratio is puzzling. You can't even try to throw parts at this problem for the span is great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After market cats contain less catalyst (precious metals) so they do not last as long. But one would expect more than 25k miles. Walker is one of the better brands. A much better brand is Nissan which has much more catalyst.

An early demise of a cat is due to over use in oxidizing hydrocarbons. How this happens while engine management is happy with the A/F ratio is puzzling. You can't even try to throw parts at this problem for the span is great.

I get what you when saying, I my gas mileage is shitty to be honest maybe 300-315 per tank. Maybe 14-15 mpg a gallon. I believe I change my maf sensor out
A while ago. Any other recommendations to improve gas mileage

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I get what you when saying, I my gas mileage is shitty to be honest maybe 300-315 per tank. Maybe 14-15 mpg a gallon. I believe I change my maf sensor out
Yeah. Shitty gas mileage means unburnt HCs enter the cats. The ECM is supposed to keep a tight reign on A/F. It's like you walking down the street and dollar bills are falling out of your pocket.

The proper way to do this is to monitor hydrocarbons in the exhaust. There are instruments to do this. Maybe not for a mass produced truck. I don't know where you with start with this problem.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
If tour truck is 4x4, then your mpg is typical.

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
Have you verified that your secondary cats are not plugged and flowing as expected?

What is your typical tripmeter reading when your low fuel light comes on?
If you're putting in 21 gal after only driving 300-315, then your calculations are correct. Will say most folks don't run their tanks nearly dry before refueling. So, hopefully you're doing the proper computations to determine your true MPGs.

Reactions: rich82

·
Registered
2005 Frontier, 4l, 6 speed crew cab, 4WD
55 Posts
Yeah. Shitty gas mileage means unburnt HCs enter the cats. The ECM is supposed to keep a tight reign on A/F. It's like you walking down the street and dollar bills are falling out of your pocket.

The proper way to do this is to monitor hydrocarbons in the exhaust. There are instruments to do this. Maybe not for a mass produced truck. I don't know where you with start with this problem.
I have read that a restrictive flowing cat can cause this problem. Magnaflo hi Flo cats could resolve the issue if that is the cause

·
Registered
2005 Frontier, 4l, 6 speed crew cab, 4WD
55 Posts
BTW, milage can very gratly with driving habits. My truck will drop to under 15 when my mechanic drives the truck. When I drive, I try hard to keep the revs under 2000 and am in 5th in the city at 25 mph. This results in milage around 19 city and 22 highway. I have had better but my right foot doesn't listen to reason at times.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I have read that a restrictive flowing cat can cause this problem. Magnaflo hi Flo cats could resolve the issue if that is the cause
The answer is yes but a qualified yes. I have had restrictive cats and they caused random misfire, Code P0300. A misfire by definition will dump hydrocarbons in the exhaust. But the yellow code tells you there is a problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts