Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Co-worker of mine has a '98 Frontier and now his gauges are spiking for no reason. He has to shut off the truck and back on to get them to act right. I don't know what to tell him but was hoping you guys might have some insight.
thanks!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Well, on motorcycles, this is due to, just slighty low volt levels. Usally the culprate is the reulator rectifier. The batt can be the reason sometimes too. If it was over charged at on time, it can make the regulator act funny.

Our trucks dont use this system tho, I dont think. It all run by the altinator, right?

Does he have the issue going over bumps? Or at any random time? Wondering if its a loose ground or a corodide gound contact.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, on motorcycles, this is due to, just slighty low volt levels. Usally the culprate is the reulator rectifier. The batt can be the reason sometimes too. If it was over charged at on time, it can make the regulator act funny.

Our trucks dont use this system tho, I dont think. It all run by the altinator, right?

Does he have the issue going over bumps? Or at any random time? Wondering if its a loose ground or a corodide gound contact.

Thanks Jordo. He didn't specify when, he just asked if I knew why they were doing this and I didn't think to ask that. I'll check with him.

Which gauges specifically, or all of them?
all of them.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Well in many cases the gauges in a vehicle will do the same thing if the alternator is going bad. This will probably not be the case if he is not noticing anything else weird like the stereo turning off for no reason. He needs to check all the wiring and if that is not the case I would say the cluster is going bad.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Have him make sure his battery cable connections are still good and that they're tight.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys. I'll pass all this on to him.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check for loose wires, and make sure your ground wires have a good solid connection (free of dirt/dust/corrosion)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts