Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently waiting for VW to buy back my 2013 golf TDI, and looking to end up in a Nissan truck! Always have owned a VW, but my uncle now owns a Nissan dealership and I've always wanted to get into a truck. Currently looking at either a 2016/2017 Frontier, pro4x 6spd... or a Titan XD SV diesel. I think the Titan may be too big, but coming from a TDI and being a diesel lover(this is my 3rd tdi) the cummins is tempting. I think the Frontier is a better size though and will still be a 6spd. Little bummed the frontier is kind of behind on the tech side of things, but I don't mind modifying my vehicles, so could just help keep me busy.

Anyways... anxiously waiting for my buyback to happen so I can get a truck. I've been daily driving a bagged golf for 3 years, so definitely excited to get into a truck haha.

not completely getting out of vw's though, I also have a 91 jetta with a built 2.0, carbs, cage, weekend ripper. Plan to convert it to awd and a big turbo 5cyl and go for some big hp...

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,804 Posts
I'm a VW guy - those are both nice rides. I have an 04 Jetta TDI with almost 400k on it now. Plan is to get to 500k before I decide what to buy next.

Welcome to CF.

·
Rogue Admin
13,804 Posts
That's a ton of miles! Gotta love the tdi, I'm gonna miss this one, but the buyback is too good tobpass up.
You know, they won't be making diesels again here - so if you don't need the mileage and the truck is more important, then go for it. Be expected to pay a lot more for your fuel costs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...way back in collage I had a 1983 VW "rabbit" GTI with the Calloway turbo kit (changed the heads, intercooler turbo, thicker sway bars, etc); it was a monster fun POV to drive and I wish I still owned it (but VW bought it from me and paid me cash value for all my mods on top of the car value when it became a mystery fuel pump eater and destroyed 13 fuel pumps = they never did figure out what was happening to them)...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Had an 06 Jetta TDI, 44mpg @ 85mph, AC on with trunk packed full and 4 passengers. Towed my ATV w/o issue and still got 36mpg doing it! Absolute joy to own, well till we traded it for a Honda Pilot. Had an 07 Audi A4 too, NOT an absolute joy to own!! I like my Frontier better than both of them together(cept in tight corners). GET A FRONTIER!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome! clean vw's, I had a 2002 gti i got used while i was in high school. Turned out to be the worst car ive owned. But appears most of you have had much better luck with them than I or my wife has had with VW's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does seem that everyone has in some way had a VW. That callaway rabbit sounds fun, I used to have some rabbit trucks that were in need of some major work and just never got to finish them. I really like the older vw's and probably will always have some form of VAG in my garage. Definitely excited to grab a frontier. I'm hoping I can get my offer letter soon, because there is an exact match to what I would like close by.

I'm excited to build the 91 jetta and have something with some power. However, I definitely plan on doing a few little things to the frontier though. Plans are a small lift and some wheels, upgrade to some retrofitted headlights (wish this was a factory option), and probably do LED interior lighting. Perhaps an intake and exhaust to help open it up a little, but not much other than that. I wish you could get leather and a 6spd, but oh well. Could always try and swap some leather seats in some day I guess. There's definitely a lot of nice trucks on here and gave me some good "inspiration" for when I finally get mine!

·
Registered
266 Posts
It does seem that everyone has in some way had a VW. That callaway rabbit sounds fun, I used to have some rabbit trucks that were in need of some major work and just never got to finish them. I really like the older vw's and probably will always have some form of VAG in my garage. Definitely excited to grab a frontier. I'm hoping I can get my offer letter soon, because there is an exact match to what I would like close by.

I'm excited to build the 91 jetta and have something with some power. However, I definitely plan on doing a few little things to the frontier though. Plans are a small lift and some wheels, upgrade to some retrofitted headlights (wish this was a factory option), and probably do LED interior lighting. Perhaps an intake and exhaust to help open it up a little, but not much other than that. I wish you could get leather and a 6spd, but oh well. Could always try and swap some leather seats in some day I guess. There's definitely a lot of nice trucks on here and gave me some good "inspiration" for when I finally get mine!
Retrofitted headlights are the best mod ive done to the truck. But from october to april i commute to work in the dark both to and from. So i was tired of not being able to see with factory lights.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It does seem that everyone has in some way had a VW. That callaway rabbit sounds fun,...
It was a blast before the fuel pump issues; 175 bhp and it handled great!

I used to race people with 5.0 mustangs, etc...for "slips" and they had no idea what they were getting into as the rabbit GTI only had 95 bhp to begin with = lots of embarrassed POV owners>:D

Retrofitted headlights are the best mod ive done to the truck. But from october to april i commute to work in the dark both to and from. So i was tired of not being able to see with factory lights.
What did you install?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm in a similar boat and really like having projectors with HID's.

It was a blast before the fuel pump issues; 175 bhp and it handled great!

I used to race people with 5.0 mustangs, etc...for "slips" and they had no idea what they were getting into as the rabbit GTI only had 95 bhp to begin with = lots of embarrassed POV owners>:D

What did you install?
That does sound fun haha my jetta is surprisingly quick as is(big cam, carbs, worked head), really looking forward to getting some big power under the hood

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Also had an '83 GTi (BLACK!) bought brand new = the original Pocket Rocket! Thing ate Pirelli P6s for lunch...as I could literally be driving on the inner front belts in less than 12k miles => yet still handled great accompanied by a cool exhaust burble.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
We have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (pictured) that we too will be trading in as a result if the emissions event. We love the car. It's my wife's car and she still loves the manual tranny, so we're not sure what to replace it with that sports some family luggage space. The gas/turbo version of the Sportwagen offers a 5-Speed stick, so we may go with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Also had an '83 GTi (BLACK!) bought brand new = the original Pocket Rocket! Thing ate Pirelli P6s for lunch...as I could literally be driving on the inner front belts in less than 12k miles => yet still handled great accompanied by a cool exhaust burble.
I had the same color and yeah, P6's didn't last long before the turbo upgrade so you can imagine after:surprise:>:D:surprise:...

I actually had great luck/performance with z rated Falken tires back then on the GTI CT, as long as I didn't launch her too hard before passing very surprised 5.0's or IROC's:surprise:

...back then, in that POV, my motto was "give me 20" and I'll make the turn" she handled that well!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (pictured) that we too will be trading in as a result if the emissions event. We love the car. It's my wife's car and she still loves the manual tranny, so we're not sure what to replace it with that sports some family luggage space. The gas/turbo version of the Sportwagen offers a 5-Speed stick, so we may go with it.
The sportwagens are really nice. It's a shame the whole thing happened because there really aren't any cars that can do all the things the tdi's do. Nice space, decent power, fun to drive, good MPG's, and a pretty good price.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
The sportwagens are really nice. It's a shame the whole thing happened because there really aren't any cars that can do all the things the tdi's do. Nice space, decent power, fun to drive, good MPG's, and a pretty good price.
That's a fine summary of these. We've never owned a car with such a luxurious interior either -- VW does a fine job there as well.

We're also looking at the Honda HR-V which can be had with a 6-Speed stick. It's nice, but lacks the power and solid bank-vault feel of our TDI. Forester and Mazda5 have manuals, but have grown in size and both may be larger than what we want. Mazda3 and Subaru Crosstrek might work, but the luggage space lacks in both. Nothing seems to fufill our need like the Sportwagen.

The all new VW Golf Alltrack is also perfect for us, but at $32K+ is too rich. :frown:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a fine summary of these. We've never owned a car with such a luxurious interior either -- VW does a fine job there as well.

We're also looking at the Honda HR-V which can be had with a 6-Speed stick. It's nice, but lacks the power and solid bank-vault feel of our TDI. Forester and Mazda5 have manuals, but have grown in size and both may be larger than what we want. Mazda3 and Subaru Crosstrek might work, but the luggage space lacks in both. Nothing seems to fufill our need like the Sportwagen.

The all new VW Golf Alltrack is also perfect for us, but at $32K+ is too rich. :frown:
Yeah, the Alltrack is an awesome replacement, but they came out pretty pricey having the 4motion and the high tech options. I have heard a lot of good things about Subarus. It stinks that Nissan doesn't come out with some sort of wagen/hatch version of the Altima or Maxima... they make up that hideous looking Juke though. Barf.

·
Rogue Admin
13,804 Posts
So why trade them in? Drive'm to 500k like I am.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...I like the looks of the Juke (but I was also stationed in main land Japan from '95 - 2015! :D

If it came with a manual transmission and AWD I may have gotten one over my frontier because I love turbo engines also...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So why trade them in? Drive'm to 500k like I am.
The money I'm getting is too good. I basically will end up having paid $8k to drive the car 4 years and 95k miles.

...I like the looks of the Juke (but I was also stationed in main land Japan from '95 - 2015! :D

If it came with a manual transmission and AWD I may have gotten one over my frontier because I love turbo engines also...
Hmm... yeah, I really do not like the looks, but to each their own

1 - 20 of 50 Posts