Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a complete engine for my 2013 4x4 w/ 6 speed stick. I also need someone to swap out the engines, asap. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
Are you in the Reno area right now? The wrecker in Rancho Cordova usually has a decent inventory. We do have a Nissan wrecker in Sparks too, but when I inquired in the past I was informed that they get a lot of their stuff from Rancho and then mark the price up.

Failing that, and if you don't get any leads here, check car-part.com.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have the truck behind my motor coach and it is parked on my property. If you would be so kind as to keep ears open for engine and able bodied person who has swapped engines before, I'd appreciate it. I'd do it myself, but I destroyed my right knee this past week.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can someone knowledgeable share with me the following:

1) Would an engine pulled from an automatic be fine for my 6-speed stick?

2) What years would work? I am finding 2012-2016 but I do not know for certain.

3) Are their any engine rebuilders nationally who make a quality product?

·
Admin
3,278 Posts
I may have missed it, and if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your motor that requires its replacement Neal?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have missed it, and if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your motor that requires its replacement Neal?
Oh crap...I knew this was coming. Well, here goes the preface to my costly mistake. Last week, about when the eclipse came, I tore my knee apart in Idaho. The same day that happens I hear that the best student I ever had was killed in an accident. So, I drive my coach with the pickup behind to his services. Pain, more pain and medication. The following morning I forget to check and left the truck in gear when we were heading south from Brothers, Oregon. My 500 hp Detroit pulled it fine until the tires started smoking on the SV. It appears the engine is seized and I don't know yet about the tranny. Can anyone tell me a way to check the tranny for damage (I guess draining it will tell though)? It seems to shift just fine (with engine off :frown:).

·
Admin
3,278 Posts
^ Man those are some tough circumstances. Very sorry to hear that Neal.

With the cause known, hopefully some knowledgeable members insight may be able to add more recommendations.

·
Registered
608 Posts
nealinnevada I am sorry for your loss that really s^ck$ to say the least when it rains it pours damn I'm sorry. "Oh crap...I knew this was coming" well you kinda knew it though with your thread starter I read it earlier something told me there was more I just left it alone but to your questions
1 Yes should only need to change out flywheel 2 yours is pretty much only thing I can see right off
2 I believe any donor with a 4.0L be it Xterra Frontier or our late cousin Suzuki
3 Have no one to suggest sorry

·
Registered
271 Posts
Get on Facebook nealinnevada and look up Brennan Becker. He does all our v8 swaps and a auto to manual. There is alot more than just buying a manual tranny n swapping it out

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Get on Facebook nealinnevada and look up Brennan Becker. He does all our v8 swaps and a auto to manual. There is alot more than just buying a manual tranny n swapping it out

He is not talking about replacing his motor with a Titan V8.
Just replacing his stock motor.
He does not want to buy a manual tranny. He has one.
He wants to know if a VQ 40 that came with an automatic would would work with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
nealinnevada I am sorry for your loss that really s^ck$ to say the least when it rains it pours damn I'm sorry. "Oh crap...I knew this was coming" well you kinda knew it though with your thread starter I read it earlier something told me there was more I just left it alone but to your questions
1 Yes should only need to change out flywheel 2 yours is pretty much only thing I can see right off
2 I believe any donor with a 4.0L be it Xterra Frontier or our late cousin Suzuki
3 Have no one to suggest sorry
I believe this to be true also.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I'm aware but Brennan does v6 manual to auto n vise versa

I know he was working on an adapter plate to allow the Titan V8 to a Frontier 6 speed. He was having a few issues. Can you verify that it is now available?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think he has one made and is in the works for a test fit to see how it works. I haven't talked to him in a few days but last I heard he had one made and was installed and was testing to make sure it would hold up to strength

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I was considering this but only if I link the truck( which I doubt I would ever do). Right now the v6 is more than enough power for my suspension.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I was considering this but only if I link the truck( which I doubt I would ever do). Right now the v6 is more than enough power for my suspension.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He is not talking about replacing his motor with a Titan V8.
Just replacing his stock motor.
He does not want to buy a manual tranny. He has one.
He wants to know if a VQ 40 that came with an automatic would would work with a 6 speed.
Well said, I thought I was clear ::laugh::! Just found a long-block in Phoenix w/15K miles on it. Will buy it tomorrow...No apparent damage to the tranny. I drained it and no debris.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
He has the right radiator.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts