Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Very good to know. I'm not super familiar with this engine but do know the Titans V8 was based off the V6. I did know there were variations of the engine in different Nissan Vehicles but didn't know what the differences were between them.
I do know the Z's V6 in the 370 isn't known to be very mod friendly if you go for all motor and not forced induction but don't remember exactly why.
Some engines are just good designs and I'm hoping my wife and I get many years out of this truck 馃憤
The 3.7L has a variable lift valvetrain, so that may have something to do with it. The 4.0L does not.

Registered
That probably is the reason. So what does the VQ40 have in place of that? Just cam phasing on intake and exhaust?
Yes, the VQ40DE has variable valve timing. The VQ37DE also has that but utilizes a stepper motor to control the variable lift. It's pretty cool, like having the ability to change your rocker arm ratio at will for better performance.

Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
Yes, the VQ40DE has variable valve timing. The VQ37DE also has that but utilizes a stepper motor to control the variable lift. It's pretty cool, like having the ability to change your rocker arm ratio at will for better performance.
Sounds like Honda's VTEC but not complex. I just read they are a pain to work on and difficult to mod.

Some magazine I have they are trying to build a VQ motor and were commenting on the complexity of the system.

It is interesting though. 馃

Registered
Granted, it's been modified and updated over the years, as needed, but how many engines have been around for 25-years and are still relevant and capable of being used in everything from 4-door sedans to trucks to sports cars?
Well the Chrysler "LA" engine from 1964 was sold in new vehicles with only revisions through the years until 2003. The biggest single update was the Magnum multiport fuel injection change made for 1992 for the 318 and 1993 for the 360, and somewhere in those years for the 3.9L V6 derivative. One could even argue that the modern Chrysler 5.7L Hemi is a derivative since it uses the same bore spacing and crank journal dimensions, but that may be pushing it a little too far.

Most automakers try to keep their engine families around for 20+ years, they cost A LOT to develop, scrapping a viable design early means failing to amortize the development costs over decades.

Registered
Well the Chrysler "LA" engine from 1964 was sold in new vehicles with only revisions through the years until 2003. The biggest single update was the Magnum multiport fuel injection change made for 1992 for the 318 and 1993 for the 360, and somewhere in those years for the 3.9L V6 derivative. One could even argue that the modern Chrysler 5.7L Hemi is a derivative since it uses the same bore spacing and crank journal dimensions, but that may be pushing it a little too far.

Most automakers try to keep their engine families around for 20+ years, they cost A LOT to develop, scrapping a viable design early means failing to amortize the development costs over decades.
Yes your right, that is one reason why Toyota was so reliable for so long. They used the same motors for YEARS then when they brought their old engines up to date they began to have issues cough cough 2016 Tacoma
For some reason though, when Toyota makes a crappy motor, and they have had a few, no one really cares, but if Nissan or the like does? The WHOLE Company seems to be labeled as a "Not Reliable" Brand. I don't get it.

Registered
Yes your right, that is one reason why Toyota was so reliable for so long. They used the same motors for YEARS then when they brought their old engines up to date they began to have issues cough cough 2016 Tacoma
For some reason though, when Toyota makes a crappy motor, and they have had a few, no one really cares, but if Nissan or the like does? The WHOLE Company seems to be labeled as a "Not Reliable" Brand. I don't get it.
Probably becaue of depreciation and a vehicle being economically totaled when an expensive repair comes along.

If, for reasons outside of the scope of this conversation thus far, Toyotas have better resale than Nissans, then a blown motor in a Toyota might not cost more than the worth of the vehicle to replace, while for a Nissan it might.

When I bought my truck, transaction price played a large part in why I bought it, but for me, as someone that keeps vehicles for a very long time, resale doesn't factor much. But then again, Nissan doesn't seem to change their vehicles as quickly as Toyota does, so my 2015 looks just as new as a 2019, or just about as old as a 2005. I don't buy with the intention of replacing it until it's literally on its last legs, and even then I've bought trucks that some would've called being on their last legs, like the $750 Hardbody, and then the $450 Hardbody, so my perspective is skewed.

Registered
Probably becaue of depreciation and a vehicle being economically totaled when an expensive repair comes along.

If, for reasons outside of the scope of this conversation thus far, Toyotas have better resale than Nissans, then a blown motor in a Toyota might not cost more than the worth of the vehicle to replace, while for a Nissan it might.

When I bought my truck, transaction price played a large part in why I bought it, but for me, as someone that keeps vehicles for a very long time, resale doesn't factor much. But then again, Nissan doesn't seem to change their vehicles as quickly as Toyota does, so my 2015 looks just as new as a 2019, or just about as old as a 2005. I don't buy with the intention of replacing it until it's literally on its last legs, and even then I've bought trucks that some would've called being on their last legs, like the $750 Hardbody, and then the $450 Hardbody, so my perspective is skewed.
Very true, but my point is Toyota has built some S H I T T Y cars and trucks over the years and still have this "bullet proof" reliability record?
People forget the lawsuit that Toyota was in a few years back? Before the VW scandal? Accelerator pedals being stuck and people dying in accidents? Then Toyota claimed it was the floor mats? Lied in court and everything, had to pay a Billion dollar fine, largest known at that time till...........the VW thing.
I am not hating on Toyota I have owned them in the past. I had issues with Toyota's my Dad also had issues with Toyota's, but he still drives Toyota to this day (Lexus).
For me? Toyota's are just boring cars. The cars of the 80's and 90's is what made them what they are today. At least in the 80's cars like the SR5 Corolla were fun and the Toyota AE86. Now? What do they have? Ugly Trucks and cars, a BMW Supra and a Subaru 86? mmmm ok.

Off subject Sorry OP. Just ranting. haha.

Registered
Toyota also had the issues with the head gaskets blowing out at the back of the cylinder head on the mid-90's V6's used in the trucks due to what they referred to as "block deck drop-off." They had a coolant passage that ran from the back of the engine block up to the back of the cylinder head and the thin block casting could corrode and an external leak would occur at the head gasket. When you replaced the head gasket, you had to run a straight edge across the deck of the block and make sure there wasn't an excessive gap where the coolant passage was at. If it was out of speck and you just replaced the head gasket, the new one would fail. Toyota ended up extending the engine warranty to 100,000 miles and I believe 10-years. Their fix was an engine block and piston kit. Toyota also had issues with oil sludge developing in some of their engines even when properly serviced.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts