Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just curious to know if the VQ top-end is a little noisy by nature, or if I should switch to another oil. I've been using Valv. dyno oil for the longest time on my 'dailys (because I'd rather change it more often, more cheaply than to extend intervals), but the VQ seems to have a bit of valve train noise. Akin to noisy lifters. In the KA24DE engine (older pathfinders, frontiers, Nissan cars) I switched to 0W40 Mobile1, but it's getting up there in price. I'm fairly sure this isn't timing guide related, and it isn't something *wrong*, but it doesn't sound like it's protecting well up there (if hearing could measure such a thing).

What's your choice for all-weather oil? East coast here, so pretty wild swings in daily temp. The 0W40 got moving quickly on cold startup and stayed viscous at higher temps.

Cheers,
Jamie (PA)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just got my Frontier, so I only have about 350 miles experience with this engine.

For me I will be running Valvoline DuraBlend, it's sort of a combo of synthetic and regular oil, and I typically do my changes with this stuff at 4,000 to 4,500 miles.

Weight wise I have yet to even look at what the manual says, but weight wise, I will do as the manual says, which may require a weight change for the winter here.

And one other thing as this is a new engine to me. Who is the f'ing engineer who designed this dip stick? Oh wait, I know, he is a dip chit! I had to get out a step stool and almost crawl into the engine bay to feed the stupid dipstick back into the whole, had I just pushed on it with the handle it would have bent. What a glorious pita, I see no reason how an engineer could let such a pathetic design get to production. Sad, just sad...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
... Who is the f'ing engineer who designed this dip stick? ...
As a tip, insert the dipstick with the handle 180 Deg. off from where you want and as you insert the stick, gently turn it as you go and it'll go into place with the handle in the correct spot.

Yep, Nissan should have used a length of cable, but it would add to cost and many of today's vehicle owners never check their oil anyway.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my 2006 manual it's 5W30 -20 to 100*F, 10W30/10W40 for 0-100*F. I suppose it would help to mention the engine has 55k on it.

Anyone else change their oil up due to valvetrain noise?

And yes the dipstick is a PITA - it took me a few times but there's a way to twist it once it's 2/3 in and it will slide right in. It is hard to get it started though - being 6'1 helps.

·
Registered
574 Posts
As a tip, insert the dipstick with the handle 180 Deg. off from where you want and as you insert the stick, gently turn it as you go and it'll go into place with the handle in the correct spot.
Yep, Nissan should have used a length of cable, but it would add to cost and many of today's vehicle owners never check their oil anyway.
Wow, thanks. I was going to check the manual tonight to see if it had any useful info, but I figured if it did, the info would be poorly written and I would still be using my step stool...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
0W-30 Mobil1. I put it in everything, year 'round...the high mile Sentra, lawn mower, snowblower, etc. One oil does it all!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I start to hear valve train noise (slightly) at the end of my 6K mi change interval only. I use 5 qts of Pennzoil platinum 5W-30 full synthetic and a quart of the same in 10W-30 at every change. Runs quiet and gives me 20 mpg average. I'm sure if you search "oil" here, you'll find allot more discussion on what oils cause noise/issues.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Good to hear some are changing longer than the 3500 recommended. I simply dont' have the time to change it that often nor want to spend the money or time. I do mine around 4500 to 5000.

Talk about your sound more, is it "pinging" like some valves do or a whrill that come with acceleration or ...

Yeah, that dipstick is dumb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts