Registered
2,450 Posts
Why not swap a vk56 in instead?

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
480 Posts
How hard would it be to swap a VQ35 into my 08 Nissan Frontier
I loved my VQ35 in my '01 Pathfinder. Such smoooooth power. So much different than this VQ40. I had a manual 5-speed 4x4, so torque was less than the auto, but had 10 more HP.
Auto: 240HP /265 ft lb
Manual: 250 HP / 240 ft lb.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Did you swap the motor yourself
No, nothing was swapped. The VQ35 was the standard engine in that Pathfinder. I was just commenting on the engine in general. A VQ35 in D40 Frontier might feel a little under powered, but in a D21 Hardbody it would be awesome.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't know why the OP wanted to downgrade to a VQ35 in the first place.

·
Admin
3,278 Posts
Moved thread to general discussion.

Reactions: GrandPirateDave

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't know why the OP wanted to downgrade to a VQ35 in the first place.
With fewer cylinders (compared to the old V12s and V16s of the early days of automobiles), short-stroke engines are usually smoother than long-stroke engines. It would thus follow that an engine with the same bore but a 0.42" stroke would be smoother than the long-stroke engine.

With the added weight of the D40 over the R50 Pathfinder, I wouldn't want to go with the Pathfinder version of the engine. Based purely on HP and TQ stats alone I'd want the motor out of a 350Z, an Infiniti G35, an Infiniti FX35, an Infiniti M35, or a QX60. Or if a JDM engine is considered, from a Fuga or Fairlady. Even then though, it would be a good idea to look into which engines have the same form of variable valve timing as the Frontier's ECM uses, because with VVT, just throwing in the 3.5L engine in without considering that is going to be a problem. As old as the D40 chassis is, the QX60 as a source is probably out.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
A VQ35 in D40 Frontier might feel a little under powered, but in a D21 Hardbody it would be awesome.
I would be more concerned about it being under-torqued - and about where most of that torque occurs within the RPM range.

As owners of current-generation Tacoma owners can attest, putting an engine that only produces torque at high RPMs in a truck is a really, really bad ides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts