Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took my truck into the dealership the other day for another squeaky tensioner (this has been my 3rd in a year and a half). mentioned that every time i go on a dirt road the belt begins to squall bad. talked to the mechanics there and they mentioned a realignment for the power steering pump pulley. i had them realign the pulley and havent noticed any squeaks since then. didnt know if anybody else had had this same problem?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have to ask, how did they re-allign the pulley? I thought it was hard mounted to a bracket that was hard mounted to the block.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have to ask, how did they re-allign the pulley? I thought it was hard mounted to a bracket that was hard mounted to the block.
My 05 is also hard mounted... Pulley was $25 and not worth the trip to the dealership, no squeal for a year + now.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
There was something in the TSB about the alignment. I had my belt tensioner replaced for the squeaking, but eventually came back. It hasn't come back after I had the timing chain tensioners replaced whereby the whole front of the engine is taken off and put back. It probably set the alignment of the belt tensioner correctly to stop it from squeaking again.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yes the alignment of of the powersteering PUMP, is know to be off a little bit. Easy way to check is put a straight edge across the PS pulley and the crank pulley. If it's flush, youre good to go, if not, easy fix:

Remove belt( just off the PS Pump will work), loosen both front bolts and both side bolts(hidden behind heat shield on passenger side). Finger tighten the top front bolt, then the bottom front bolt, followed by the two side ones. Then torque in the same order to spec (I cant remember what it is at this time, but I believe the top front is less than the other three). Then reinstall belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts