Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a crazy idea while sitting in class at UTI today: Swap an Vortec V8 into my truck, but use the stock nissan electronics to control it. Since I have a 4 banger, i should be able to split injector and ignition signals to each bank. Surprisingly, the crank and cam sensors are very similar and with minimal tuning i think i can make it work.

I asked my instructor (20+ years as a GM tech) and he also thinks it will work.

I'm thinking of reusing the nissan throttle body to keep the drive by wire. and then just use a manual transmission.

Thoughts and ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
i thought about gm motor as well way back when i think i went the way i did for emissions reasons really.

im not sure about the the computers really, wires for sure wont matter. but if you keep the bcm connected you will surely see problems.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep in mind i have an XE, so the BCM has way less **** to do, and no chipped keys and that bull ****. and i have a manual, which means even less wires.

as for emissions, as long as i carry over the cats it should be fine, just have to convince the CARB marshal of that. but i'm going to get my smog license so it won't matter really.

i think i'm going to use a T56 if i do it, 6 speeds would be awesome.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes

If i rering a used engine, add a cam, and do some porting, it'll kick ***.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm a chevy guy so I say DO IT

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
t56 is a mean trans, i had it in my 240sx and had no problems what so ever.
find a motor and some specs.

after all the computer crap i have been through with my bcm ecm tcm tcu ect ect i still think there is going to be some trouble. most gm motors like that run on ecu alone and dont even need an some sort of piggy back or stand alone. i would try that route personally. but yours will surely be interesting.
looking forward to this for sure.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I am still a little lost on this I guess. If you are going to split your firing signal, does that mean a cylinder on bank 1 will be firing at the same time as a cylinder on bank 2?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still a little lost on this I guess. If you are going to split your firing signal, does that mean a cylinder on bank 1 will be firing at the same time as a cylinder on bank 2?
yes, i was unsure of this as well but thats why having a GM tech for a teacher is awesome. Basically, on a gm v8 with distributor, one always fires slightly later than the one before it, but its close enough not to matter.

the reason i want to use to factory computers is that i like have a/c and stuff. the 101 day here in Sac reminded me of that.

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
you dont need everything hooked up to the engine to work.
i didnt have and ecu even in and i had air and windows ect because it has nothing to do with motor or ecu.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Seeing as how we have a guy who hasn't yet been able to successfully swap in a same-generation Nissan V8 into this truck using the stock electronics, I'm not sure why you think you'll have an easier time with a GM.

Please do not mistake my criticism for being a jerk, but that's just the reality of the situation. Once Andy gets his swap sorted out I think that will answer a lot of questions, but I fear you will pour out a lot of time and money into putting in a GM engine just for the sake of doing it.

Just my .02. Good luck with the project, though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
FWIW,
The 4 cyl computer might be the same as the v6 and v8- which means it could have injector drivers for up to 8 cylinders.

Also I think a 4cyl throttle body would choke a v8 with twice the displacement.

Finally, after all is said and done if you're going to run a 6 speed anyway then run the body off custom relay circuits and use a chevy or custom ecm.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The EFI on the 4cyl is batch fire IIRC... so he could get away with doing the split...

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
very interested.

·
Registered
854 Posts
subscribed for updates~

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
FWIW,
The 4 cyl computer might be the same as the v6 and v8- which means it could have injector drivers for up to 8 cylinders.

Also I think a 4cyl throttle body would choke a v8 with twice the displacement.

Finally, after all is said and done if you're going to run a 6 speed anyway then run the body off custom relay circuits and use a chevy or custom ecm.

Just my opinion.
throttle bodies are the same i believe from 4cyl to v8, you will have more air flow with a larger one yes but wont choke it.
physical computer wise yes ecu look the same but have different soft ware.
and on the injector note if the compute thought there were more injectors than there are it would snap and freak out and wonder where the **** the others are. also on the v8 harness the injectors were all made into the harness, on the passenger side of the v6 harness i believe you can disconnect them all on one plug, that may be something to look into.
but it was only on a single side so i wouldnt have an idea for the other

and you shouldnt need a custom ecu for the motor unless your getting into the mid and later 2000s all the gm motors will basically run on farts and a couple wires. there very nice.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Just swap out a LS1 like devilrunner did and don't even fool with that other stuff, do manual everything.

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
devil didnt do an ls1 swap. he went carbed sbc.
emissions will be the true test to see if his swap is worth it, esp in cali i dont think it will be street legal or be able to be registered without swapping another motor in.
i imagine he has thought about it. hopefully he has something up his sleeve.

but older v8 carbs like that are a nightmare for smog and such and the reason most dont just throw a three wire motor in for the power is all the headaches of not being able to drive it on the road

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well if want to run GM stuff in a nissan it had to be done some where
have u checked out sport truck magazine.What I`m bout to say don`t take
it to heart. If U want to stand out have you looked into a cummins 3,9
or a cummins 4.5 4cyl engines. look into 4bt swaps.com.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts