Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well finally got my intake installed. Bought it used from a member on here for $140+shipping. I dont really care about going fast but I couldnt pass up this deal.

I have a little over 60k on my truck now so this intake really woke the truck up. I'm very pleased with the sound, even without an exhaust, and performance I gained was nice considering my tire size. As far as install, I did it myself in about an hour. Clean the airfilter with gas in about 2 minutes and let it dry in the sun before installing. I was missing two screws to mount the airbox and also missing the horn relocation bracket. There is no way to install this with the horn located where it is stock. I called Volant to order one and they are sending it FREE OF CHARGE, great company in my opinion. They even knew i bought it used and didnt think twice about sending it. I ordered some new filter oil too. $30 but i didnt care, especially since they were sending the new horn bracket for free.

Gas milgeage increased slightly... nothing amazing. I've only had it for a day but I would say its about .5mpg on the street and 2mpg highway increase. I cant stay off the gas pedal though so trust me I'm not seeing the increase.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Good review.

I'm digging my Volant for sure.
Definitely sounds different than the Nismo CAI I did have on the truck.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant understand why people say they didnt notice a change. The new sound of the truck is great, that alone makes me happy with the purchase. At cruising speeds its still silent like a stock truck but when you smash the gas you know the intake is there.

Now to be completely honest, this is not a "throw ur head into the seat" performance mod but i think i gained back some good power considering i run 295/75/16 Terra Grapplers. It's been so long since I had a stock truck with stock tires maybe i forgot how powerfull it was but I'm very happy.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
congrats Dan

hey, the horn relocation bracket is pretty useless, imo. i had them send one to me and i didn't use it. still have my horns on a flat bracket that i slid under my headlights.

i also use an aem dry filter so i dont have to hassle with oiling the filter.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Glad to hear another honest opinion.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Theres a youtube vid for the volant intake that helped me i have a 2010 pro4x and i went with the volant for 05-08 and in the vid they relocated horn on stock bracket into front grill and jus extended the wires thats what i did and it worked out great i can take pics if interested.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i didn't have to do anything with the horn on mine. this is my 3rd volant. had one on my tj jeep, my 08 frontier and now on my 12 pro4x. i love their quality and gains

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
i didn't have to do anything with the horn on mine. this is my 3rd volant. had one on my tj jeep, my 08 frontier and now on my 12 pro4x. i love their quality and gains
That's because the new Volant intakes for our trucks have a huge hole cut out of them so that you don't have to relocate the horns. Making it more of a "hot engine compartment" intake

·
Registered
361 Posts
That's because the new Volant intakes for our trucks have a huge hole cut out of them so that you don't have to relocate the horns. Making it more of a "hot engine compartment" intake

Yea thats the reason i bought a volant intake for an 08 for my 10 truck because i didnt want the cutout rather have the scoop going to the front grill

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yea thats the reason i bought a volant intake for an 08 for my 10 truck because i didnt want the cutout rather have the scoop going to the front grill
I have a Volant with a lower hole facing inward. Can you clamp a hose to the hole facing in, and have it run toward the grill for more cold air to hit it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is the one I ordered from 4wheelparts.com or whatever....Is that outer part drawing from the wheel well, and if so, why the need for the inner one? Can see it in the right pic

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is the one I ordered from 4wheelparts.com or whatever....Is that outer part drawing from the wheel well, and if so, why the need for the inner one?

See im not sure. Do you have the intake installed yet ? Ive never seen that model installed ive only heard that it has a hole cut out in it and that its not sealed like the 05-07 model

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes it's installed..can see in pic above. I'm happy with it. Sounds badass especially at higher RPM's with my flowmaster...and I can tell it helps on gas mileage just by pedal use, up slight hills, the same 40 mph chill pedal throttle cruises along, while before it would kick down a gear

1 - 20 of 27 Posts