Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Volant Install

6K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  JEC_PA 
#1 ·
Thanks to OkieScot for getting this group buy setup and thanks to David Edelman at Premier Truck Accessories.

I got my intake Monday and put it on as soon as I could and that was at 10:15pm that night. All and all the kit is great, things could line up a bit better, but they do go in with some persuasion. Oh, David, it does come with the ram air attachment.

This CAI is awesome. (Only had it a day though) It has a very faint sound or growl to it with pampered driving, but if you want it to come alive just step on the gas and oh yes there it is. Even on the highway it's just purring along unless you want to hear it of course. I have not had it long enough to check my gas mileage, but expect some good things. I just gotta stop playing with it.

And as for the install not bad, I think the worst part was first figuring out how the 4.0 V6 cover is held on, and I do mean held on. I thought I was going to break it, but it eventually slid off. I think the only thing I'm going to do is get a different crankcase breather hose, if that's indeed what it is on this truck. That thing just looks kinda funny on there. And as far as using the Nissan Emblem and cover, if someone wants to donate one I'll use it and get it mate to the Volant. But until my warranty is up I'll keep mine intact for a reinstall just incase.

Here are some pics of the intake installed and some looks at some things somewhat mentioned in my write up.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9169810&uid=4034693&members=1

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm gonna add some information that I would have liked to have known when I installed the Volant

Ok the 4.0 cover, that thing is on there. It is held on with two bolts and two rubber grommets that grab on to two gold posts that are also bolt downs for something else. If you look at my pics on picturetrail, you will see that cover flipped over and see the grommets. And in the picture just above it you can see the two gold posts. Just remove the two 10mm bolts and pull up in the areas of the rubber grommets.

The vinyl strip goes on the filter box. Sorry mines already in or I’d take some pics. Mine fit perfect around the ridge of the opening that will later press against the fender. Now in the package it’s creased so uncrease it and where it had been creased the crimped area needs to be opened up a bit to get it on the opening. Otherwise, it will take some extra force to get it on the ridge of the opening. If it won’t stay on try and make the crimping edge a little narrower in order for it to hold on better.

I also want to warn you for later that the middle bolt that will go in your fender is not gonna line up well. I put the top smaller bolt in first and then the lowest one in. Which by the way was the hardest factory bolt to get out without a ratcheting closed box wrench. I used a closed box wrench and was there for a little while. I’m also thinking about adding a small hole in the bottom of the air filter box so moisture can escape.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9169810&uid=4034693&members=1

#3 ·
Mike3_21_21,

Thank you for the installation instructions. Per your pm I was able to figure out how to get the 4.0 cover off and I now have the vinyl trim piece installed. It finally went on
very well, it just has a small gap of about 1/4", but that gap might be reduced as the seal
is compressed against the inner fender panel.

I have a short 10 mm combination wrench that fits on the bolt you are talking about so unless that bolt is long I should be able to get it out with the combo wrench. On the
Volant is this bolt installed from the inside of the box?

Do you think any moisture would get into the Volant air box. Most of the discussion on this seems to deal with the moisture entering from the area between the hood and the fender. It looks like the Volant top cover would prevent that from happening on our
trucks.

I was looking and if the box does need to be drilled it looks like there would be 2 places that would need a drain hole. There is a shallow area at the top part and then another area that could collect water at the bottom. I am thinking that this should not be a problem for the Volant. Does anyone with a Volant have a moisture problem with their
CAI box yet?

Have you decided anything on changing the breather hose hook up yet? I am not sure exactly where the line up will be for the breather hose, but it looks like a hose with a 90 degree bend and then long enough to hook directly to the Volant air duct tube would be the ticket. If you figure this out let the rest of us know what size hose you got and where you found it.

Thank you again for all of your help. Maybe you should contact Volant and show them what you have and tell them for a price you will make up their installation instructions.
Well done.

OkieScot

#4 ·
I'm not so sure if we are going to have a moisture problem or not. And as far as the breather hose goes, I might be checking into it this weekend if I find the time. And yes that bolt will end up inside the new Volant box unlike the factory box. If requested I'll write up some instructions they might be long though to be thorough enough.

#5 ·
mike3_21_21,

Thank you once again for your help. If you put down ewverything you have shared with me and with the pictures you have you would have an excellent instruction sheet for the Volant installation. Volant should have such a set of instructions included with their kits.

It looks like your instructions should be worth at least the cost of your Volant kit.

OkieScot

#6 ·
A little bit about MPG

As for my first tank of gas, first quarter without Volant, up almost 1 mpg. I have been playing a bit though. I'm trying to baby it now but boy you step on the gas and watch that needle drop. But that's only when needed.

#7 ·
Got my Volant the other day and it is installed.

Install took about an hour. Factory box and tube came off with no problems. The bottom bolt that you can't fit a normal tool to loosen will come right off if you just pull it right out. The bolt is in a rubber mold so just yank it right out and there will be no problem from there.
I first took off the tube, top of box and bottom. Like I said take all bolts out and then just pull the hell out of the other one and that is it.
You wont hurt anything doing it either. Since I didnt have a wrench or socket that could fit that tight of an area.
Now putting the new intake on was a challenge with I thought at first with no directions but just pieced it together as I went and had no problems until the tube.
The box itself was just easier if you attach the lower air tube on the box and then start by putting the lower bold on first. After that I just leaned against the fender and pull the box in towards me while lining up the other holes and it was cake from there.
The tube was a little harder when trying to line it up with both ends. It wasnt as straight forward as I had thought and for some reason now that it is in I thought the tube would be straight across parallel to the radiator but it isnt. It is a little crocked but that is the only way it would fit.
Other than that it is great. I just put it on and will let you guys know later this week what I think. I really dont here it too much because of the banks exhaust either. Later.

#8 ·
You can always add the PowerAid TBS, that will move the intake tube about an inch or so closer to the radiator on the Throttle Body side, might even things out a bit!

#9 ·
Just got the Volant Cai and Airaid TBS installed. Let me tell you I had no idea the sound of the intake would be so intimidating. Almost sounds like my friends Mustang Cobra.
Honestly, I think I have more power, but I am a really bad seat of the pants dyno person.
I can't wait to get an exhaust now.
I will keep you posted on the MPG numbers once I stop flooring it.

I already got a compliment at Lowes today (for the sound)

#12 ·
Has anyone with the volant noticed any hesitations in the power band?
It only happens when taking off from a start, and usually between 2-4k rpms.
It never happens when your already cruising and then floor it.
you feel two or three hesitations then when the rpms get higher it is ok.

anybody?

#13 ·
I still have not installed my Volant yet. I have not heard anyone else comment on this problem either with the Volant or any of the other brands. You might contact Rev-
erendbiker on this. He is pretty knowlegeable on the CAI's.

He had an aFe on his truck for a while. He removed it because he has dirt roads to
drive on a daily basis.

OkieScot

#14 ·
I've seen other post where our trucks naturally have lag b/c of the fly by wire throttle we have. I have seen a 1 mpg gain in gas mileage and enjoy just the sound a lot. As far as the story on oil filters and water getting in the intake and affecting the MAF sensor I have yet to see. People have been using drop in filters such as K&N for years and I guess you could over oil them and have them affect the MAF. I've never had the problem. Knock on wood you know. And here is something else I've been thinking about. I've been think about exhaust but I just can't see much gain out of exhaust. With all I have heard Stillen likes our restricted y-pipe b/c their exhaust starts after it and they claim that's good. Others say our y-pipe restricts. What gives? I've got an SE and really considering just putting a chrome tip on it and calling it quits for the exhaust. Exhaust it a bit expensive for the little gain we might receive in my opinion.

#15 ·
mike3_21_21,

I did my dual exhaust purely for the beautiful sound and the lovely looking double wall
stainless steel tips. The exhausts do give a little hp gain, but my tired butt can't tell the difference. Who cares, I just love the sound of it.

OkieScot

#16 ·
After 10 days with the volant I have noticed big gains in the trucks acceleration between 4000-6000. I really don't think it makes to much difference until you get to that rpm.
Although I did notice I can now chirp the tires when starting from a stop.
I have the 4x4 nismo crew and never was able to due that.
I have to turn the VDC off to break the tires loose however.

Gas mileage went from 15.4 mpg city to 16.2 mpg city.

Still love the sound.

#17 ·
kansasfrontier,

Thank you for the report. I still have my Volant in the box trying to convince myself to use it after reading all of the stories about fouling MAF's and voiding warranties. I
also have a nice sounding exhaust system and do not want to cover that sound up.

About what rpm does the Volant start to growl and how loud does it get? When I was
in the Miata club there was a guy in the club that had a CAI and a stock exhaust sys-
tem. His car was louder than mine and I had both a CAI and a nice sounding exhaust.
My CAI was not very loud on the Miata, but his sounded like an old MGB split exhaust
manifold with a glasspack on it.

A very lovely sound, but it would definitely get you into trouble with the law.

OkieScot

#18 ·
Okie,

I would expect the Volant to be quieter than the open filter ellement CAI's on the market just because the closed airbox would help deaden the sound of the intake. Exhaust would probably have a lot more efect on the sound (loudness) of the vehicle than the intake. My AirAid is an open filter ellement type CAI, and it's quiet till around 4000+ rpm, such as merging onto the highway. Other than that, you'd never know it was there. I would suspect your Volant to be even quieter, so I doubt it would drown out your exhaust note!

As for the fears of fouling the MAF sensor, that's just a scare tactic used by dealerships! I have known folks who have fouled their MAF, but they were Fords, and the knuckleheads drowned the filter in oil after cleaning them! K&N doesn't even recommend cleaning the filter until 50,000 miles under normal use! I suspect this interval is probably the same for otheroiled filters, unless you drive in very dusty environments or do a lot of off-roading! I had a K&N Filter in my 99 F-150, my 03 Explorer, and my Frontier before adding the CAI, and have never had an issue. And, for what it's worth, there is a web site out these that sells new Nissan MAF Sensors for under $200.00 if you ever did have a problem! I also feel fairly confident that if the filter on my AirAid ever fouled my MAF, AirAid would probably help out with the repair (given I didn't drown the filter in oil). They seem like a strong company that stands behind their product!

I hope this helps with you decision on installing your Volant!

#19 ·
05_NISMO_4X4,

Thank you for your encouraging post. I went by my dealership today and checked with the service manager about installing the CAI and warranty issues. She said the only
thing that she is aware of that would void the warranty was if the MAF was fouled.

She even said that I could have one of their techs oil the element for me if I wanted them
to do so. That would eliminate the over oiling warranty issue. Very nice of her I thought.

I'll probably install it next month after my band trip to Arkansas. I want to get a good all highway mpg reading on the truck with the exhaust change before I add the CAI.

Thank you again for your help.

OkieScot

#20 ·
My parts are in, I'll have my modified truck by the end of Wedneday! I'll make sure to remind the mechanic not to over oil the CAI. Other than that, I can't wait to hear and feel the power increase, it's going to be cool.

#21 ·
Actually, I'd tell your mechanic not to do anything with the filter, it comes pre-oiled, and anything more would be excess and could cause problems!

#22 ·
05_NISMO_4X4,

I actually meant to say that their tech would re-oil the filter for me whenever it needed to be cleaned. That way they could not say that it was over oiling that caused any problems.

OkieScot

#23 ·
Okie,

I understood your post, and think that's excellent for them to offer you that service! I was actually responding to Chargedup05's post and his comment about reminding his mechanic not to over oil the filter! Being as they come from the factory pre-oiled, there's no need to do anything other than attach the filter during the intiial installation! Good luck on your install!

#24 ·
05_NISMO_4X4,

thank you for your well wishes. I did read on one of the forums where someone got a factory filter that had been over oiled. That may be why chargedup05 said something
about having the dealer check it out before installation.

Since I have never serviced one of these filters I don't think I could tell by looking if it was over oiled or not. I plan on having a friend who has done this on motorcycle
filters for years look at my filter before I install it.

Letting the dealer service it for me would just be an insurance policy to prevent warranty issues in the future.

OkieScot

#25 ·
Thanks for the Heads Up Nismo05. I'll make sure the installer doesn't oil it at all, but I'm pretty sure they already know that, better safe than sorry.

#26 ·
What I do is place the filter on a couple layers of paper towels before I install it. There should not be any excess oil dripping from the filter, if there is it's got too much oil on it! It's easy to spot since they use colored oil. I also do this after I clean and service a filter, the paper towel will wick away any excess oil that may get on the filter. Normally if you just run a thin bead of oil along the top of the ridges on the filter, the oil will spread down to the valleys providing complete coverage without over saturating the filter. I also keep a spare paper filter around (or in the case of the CAI, put the stock air box back on) so I can allow the filter to sit a couple days before putitng it back on the truck. This allows full absorbsion of the oil and you'll be less likely to have the MAF foul. It will also give you a better indication as to whether or not you've over oiled the filter! In the event you do over oil it, just pack it with paper towels and let it sit a couple days, the paper towels will draw out the excess oil, but will not remove all the oil, so there's still ample oil present to perform the filtering it's intended to perform. With the oil being colored, if it's red (or blue) then it's got coverage. If there are spots that are still white, a light spot treatment will fix it. Hope this helps some as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.