Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen anything new in AZ and thought I would post something.

I found some SV wheels with tires really cheap in Flagstaff, so we made the drive from Thatcher to go get them!

I have never been up that way by Roosevelt, but it sure was a nice drive! We took AZ 188-N to AZ 87-N up to flagstaff.

It was a really beautiful drive through Strawberry and Payson.

Water Cloud Sky Water resources Mountain
Cloud Tire Sky Plant Vehicle

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
That’s a nice drive for sure!

If you get the chance, drive to Flagstaff on 89A starting in Prescott. It goes through Jerome, Cottonwood, Sedona, and Oak Creek. Stay in Sedona and go to Red Rock State Park. Worth it. Then the next day, head up to Slide Rock State Park for some swimming. Once in Flagstaff, make sure you visit Walnut Canyon National Park. If you can swing it, best to do this on a weekday. Far less crowds.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Strawberry and Payson are beautiful - it's nice to see something besides cacti, rocks, and sand.

I have spent a lot of time in the Gardner Canyon area near Sonoita. There are some forest service roads that are suitable for a 2WD (Gardner Canyon Road, Fish Canyon, Kentucky Camp areas), and some that have a few more challenging spots - not rock crawling but some enjoyable wheeling (Hog & Adobe Canyons, Aliso Spring). We were down there a few months ago - before it got too hot - and it was a fun day.

Last year we went to Sunnyside, which is near Parker Canyon Lake. There are still a few buildings standing, but it has deteriorated a lot since I first went there in the late 90's. Back then you could still go into a few of the houses, one of which was "wallpapered" with old newspapers from the early 1900s. Unfortunately, vandalism and theft have really taken their toll. There are some forest service roads heading east from Sunnyside that eventually take you to the back side of Ft. Huachuca (locked gate, no access to the public).

I'm really wanting to get back down to Upper and Lower Mansfield, which is near Patagonia. I used to run those trails frequently in my TJ and XJ, but since I don't have skids yet I'll hold off. Lower Mansfield follows the creek bed and probably will be a bit much for my Frontier - I ended up with some damaged rockers and quarter panel on my XJ - but Upper should be doable (we got my friend's '98 Chevy Silverado Z71 through...with a lot of work and some gouged frame rails once we were done:D).

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I’ve heard Grand Falls is running pretty good right now. It’s up near flagstaff. Never been. Maybe head that way this week. Anybody been lately?
I’ve never been before. I know a lot of falls had not been running pretty good for the last few years with a lack of monsoon rain and less than average snowfall.

If you do make it, take some photos and post ‘em up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts