Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bestbuy is running $500 installed. First year of service is free, then $29.99 a year. Definitely pricey but a neat app.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the unit installed, did it myself, and just bought a prepayed sim card and used an old cellphone and wired it to the remote start input. Uses 1 minute per missed call (to start or stop) and was much cheaper than the 29.99 a year.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That has to be the coolest thing I have seen in alarms to this day but I would never use it. I can control my alarm from inside Wal-Mart and that is enough for me.

NOW if they would make me an app where my truck could call me if it's being broken into and give me video of what is going on...I would be all over that and would pay $50 a year.

I have the unit installed, did it myself, and just bought a prepayed sim card and used an old cellphone and wired it to the remote start input. Uses 1 minute per missed call (to start or stop) and was much cheaper than the 29.99 a year.
Holy hell guy you need to do a write up on that!

·
Registered
289 Posts
That has to be the coolest thing I have seen in alarms to this day but I would never use it. I can control my alarm from inside Wal-Mart and that is enough for me.

NOW if they would make me an app where my truck could call me if it's being broken into and give me video of what is going on...I would be all over that and would pay $50 a year.

Holy hell guy you need to do a write up on that!

I roughly followed this writeup making my customizations along the way:

The DIY $10 prepaid cellphone remote car starter -- Engadget

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
THANKS! Although as he said in making it this way to run the risk of other people calling the number, telemarketers and wrong number people.

·
Registered
289 Posts
With the phone I used, its a number thats never been ever given out and since you could make profiles and customize a ringtone/vibrate alert to a certain caller id number, i was able to eliminate most risks.

First, never ever have had a call from any number other than my own.
The profile setting/caller id settings have it where it only vibrates when my number calls
and cost wise, 500 minutes = 30 bucks = 500 starts (probably use trice a week) = 3 years worth of starts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cell phone hack

What would really be funny: call your car and get an automated voice saying, "press 1 to start your car, press 2 to unlock your car, press 3 to lock your car, press 4 to activate the time circuits and flux capacitor, press 5 to fire meh laser!" And etc.

·
Registered
890 Posts
ive installed quite a few of these they are awesome, one of the emplyees has it and its getting really really cool, you can see where the truck is, set a boundary on a map that will warn you if the truck goes out of it, see the max speed the truck has gone, all kinds of sweet stuff. plus you get roadside assistance. i think they are starting to do 2 way notifications if the alarm goes off so does your phone. and it works on blackberry, android and iphone, pretty damn sweet imo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts