Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am by no means an expert and have researched many 4x4 forums prior to my 22 P4X purchase. It's been many years since owning a "truck" again, but I have driven many brand pickup trucks over the years. That being said, I seem to notice a trend, especially with the "transmission recall" that members may be mistaking vibrations or shuttering in their rides for a transmission issue, when in fact it may be as simple as an unbalanced driveshaft or lack of grease on the splines?? Again, I am not an expert, but I have read on other forums that a slightly unbalanced driveshaft, misaligned (improperly shimmed), or an improperly lubed one WILL cause vibrations that people think its the transmission. I personally do not have any of these issues but wanted to start a thread for this on the new 3gen.
I encountered this conversation many times on the Ford Ranger forums. Many of the vibration issues were due to the lack of grease and/or an improperly shimmed drivetrain coming out of the factory. Sounded like a visit to the dealership was almost in order to properly shim em up.
Just an FYI post

·
Registered
741 Posts
Every brand of truck has some kind of vibrations in some form or fashion. every individual vehicle in that brand might not be affected, but you can go into every brand forum and read of vibrations. Many many things cause vibrations. Tires, driveshafts, etc etc etc. One will literally drive yourself crazy fighting this with the dealer, seriously! Been there.

I've owned a Silverado (Chevy Shake--look it up), F150 (vibrations, leaf springs issues, tail gate dance, wheel hop), even the 22 Frontier has a vibration (even in the steering wheel).

I will say that the 5th gen RAM does has a smoother ride due to the coil suspension, versus the leaf springs in other brands.

Diagnosing/fighting vibrations in a truck will wear you down trying to get it fixed. It might not ever be vibration free.

What's strange is the level of vibratiion on one Frontier, for example, compared to another exact same model.
I had Pro-X and an "S". Both of them had vibrations in the seat, and in the steering wheel. they both had different tires and suspensions (pro-x shocks, etc).

Good luck in your pursuit of a fix!

• Helpful
Reactions: GreyFox

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every brand of truck has some kind of vibrations in some form or fashion. every individual vehicle in that brand might not be affected, but you can go into every brand forum and read of vibrations. Many many things cause vibrations. Tires, driveshafts, etc etc etc. One will literally drive yourself crazy fighting this with the dealer, seriously! Been there.

I've owned a Silverado (Chevy Shake--look it up), F150 (vibrations, leaf springs issues, tail gate dance, wheel hop), even the 22 Frontier has a vibration (even in the steering wheel).

I will say that the 5th gen RAM does has a smoother ride due to the coil suspension, versus the leaf springs in other brands.

Diagnosing/fighting vibrations in a truck will wear you down trying to get it fixed. It might not ever be vibration free.

What's strange is the level of vibratiion on one Frontier, for example, compared to another exact same model.
I had Pro-X and an "S". Both of them had vibrations in the seat, and in the steering wheel. they both had different tires and suspensions (pro-x shocks, etc).

Good luck in your pursuit of a fix!
Oh, I don't have any vibrations as of now. I just wanted to inform those that may not be aware that other areas could be to blame...not just "it's the transmission".
Yes, tires, wheels, leaf springs, etc can cause vibrations. Again, just an FYI for those that may not realize there ARE other areas to consider. ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was wondering about lubricating propeller drive shaft? Can someone point me in the right direction please. I don't have the manual in front of me is why I am asking.

I heard this is possible to cause vibration in the driveline if not taken care of.

As far as vibration, I don't feel much in my S model or wife's SV model.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering about lubricating propeller drive shaft? Can someone point me in the right direction please. I don't have the manual in front of me is why I am asking.

I heard this is possible to cause vibration in the driveline if not taken care of.

It's not a Frontier, but the Rangers are having issues with vibration, and most are/were doing this. It's for the slip joint specifically. I do believe the 3gen Frontier u-joints are sealed, so if you suspect wiggle in there, that would be a replacement item altogether. ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The other fix for vibration/shuttering in the driveline is "shimming" the shaft?? I guess the angle it sits gets adjusted?? Not sure, but maybe someone else here with more knowledge about this could chime in. I also know they put weights on the drive shafts like wheels, so that is a thing as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts