Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is me just being way to picky or something to have the dealer look at (but I already know what they will say), but at certain speeds and RPM, I get a "vibration" I can feel quite readily through the gas pedal. It's just like the engine/transmission hits a certain resonance.

Anyone else notice this, and is this of concern? I've just been hitting the OD button to bump the revs a bit as it annoys me.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
It could be your tires too. Some tires are just crappy like that, some are not balanced well

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the vibration is more pronounced when the engine is under a load (such as going up a hill) it could be a universal joint. That was the problem with mine. Half a day a the shop and about $190 to fix. Problem solved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I won't say its normal, but the 4.0 V6 has alot of vibration. I know exactly what your talking about. Currently have 2014 with 100k miles. Had 2000 with the 3.3 V6. I don't remember it vibrating anywhere as bad. The vibrating has managed to crack the heat shields on the exhaust cross over pipe. Think I've got 5 stainless hose clamps keeping her quiet so far!! Lol! Your vibes are probably normal, irritating as hell, but normal!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
My 2019 4.0 steering wheel vibrates at 65. Any lower or higher it smoothies out. Dealer insists the tires are balanced and everything in the drivetrain looks good.

I have my doubts cause it’s not a super bad vibration, but enough to make your cup of water have a lot of ripples while driving

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
My 2019 4.0 steering wheel vibrates at 65. Any lower or higher it smoothies out. Dealer insists the tires are balanced and everything in the drivetrain looks good.

I have my doubts cause it’s not a super bad vibration, but enough to make your cup of water have a lot of ripples while driving
Taylor, get a road-force balancing. If that doesn;t cure it, then either your tires have shifted steel belts or its not tires but something else. What does the tread wear pattern feel like? Running your fingertips lightly over the tread blocks will tell you a lot that you don't see visually. A trick I learned at my 2 yrs at Goodyear in the early 90s.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If at the same speed the vibration goes away with changes in engine speed/gear change then it seems logical it is engine or possibly transmission vibration.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV CC SB 4x4
13 Posts
Taylor, get a road-force balancing. If that doesn;t cure it, then either your tires have shifted steel belts or its not tires but something else. What does the tread wear pattern feel like? Running your fingertips lightly over the tread blocks will tell you a lot that you don't see visually. A trick I learned at my 2 yrs at Goodyear in the early 90s.
My brand new 2019 had same issue, though more seat vibration. Dealer balanced, and actually made it worse. Went elsewhere and paid for road force- made it much, much better. I think tires sat on lot way too long, and got some semi-permanent flat-spotting. Almost 3000 miles now, and smooth as butter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So about the road force... the dealer has one, that’s why I went there. They “said” they were balanced. Honestly I doubt they checked them. Oh and get this. At 3800 miles when I brought it in for the vibes, they said my motor mounts were bad. So they changed those.

my build date was 10/19 and I bought it on 11/4/19 so it was maybe at the dealer for idk maybe 2-3 weeks? It had 2 miles on it.

my tires are the OEM hankook dynapros... and I have themidnight edition so 18 “ rims.
I have access to a lift at work and I’ve rotated them already.

i think might go somewhere and pay for the road force balance. So does any tire shop have that machine? I’ve called 2 places Costco and somewhere else they told me to go to dealer.

I can take a video of the treadpattern if you guys want to see it. But like I said only around 65 it’s a little vibrating. If you had a cup of water you’d see ripples. But not at 40-50

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh wow, you may have something else going on? Especially if the tires didn't really sit. I actually didn't confirm that my truck sat for a while, but I assumed it did. I've heard of some driveshaft stuff, but I'm honestly new to the Frontier world.

When I rolled up at my dealer, the service guy said "that's how trucks ride, and try putting a bag of sand in the back." I wanted to tell him that I know the difference between vibration and a bumpy ride, but didn't bother. They told me they balanced the tires, and sent me on my way.

On the drive home, it was still there, and even worse. I called a few tire shops in my town. The first one didn't even know what road force balancing was, and told me that they "just have a machine that spins them real fast."

The second place i called said they had the machine, and to bring the truck in. He also said that if it wasn't in the tires, they'd move on and start looking for drive shaft balance issues. They actually pulled the tires off of the wheels, repositioned according to the balance of both tire AND wheel, and then re-balanced the tire/wheel combos. When I drove it, it was 75% better maybe? Due to that feedback, they only charged me for (2) regular balance and (2) road-force balance. I was willing to pay good money to solve this major vibration issue with my brand new truck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah I may get around to calling a few tires shops this weekend. It could be a out of balance drive shaft. Who knows. It’s tolerable, but my fathers 2wd Frontier is smooth as hell at 65. He also just has 1 piece driveshaft. We have 2 so that’s where the extra vibes may... may be coming from. But we’ll see.

there was another guy on this forum with a midnight and described the same issues as me. He thinks it was mostly the midnights and he noticed a lot of them for sale with low mileage. Idk I forgot his name but he went thru all the hoops we did aswell. Not sure if he ever got it fixed. He may pop into this thread since it’s vibration related.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder what functional/mechanical parts are different on the midnight, aside from wheels? It's essentially an appearance package, right?

Before I found the tire shop that helped me out, I was ready to start with disconnecting the front drive shaft and see if it was there, and gradually work my way to the CV's. My seats vibrated to the point that I would avoid highway driving as it shook my lower abdominal organs too much after a few minutes. Not an exaggeration, and unacceptable with a brand new vehicle I bought to take my family on long road trips/adventures with.

I may be crazy, but I generally have (2) different reactions to car issues. Either something is just a quirk, and it doesn't bother me once I know for a fact that it's "normal" (Frontier "lugging" around 40mph due to gearing, gas gauge worthless above 3/4 tank, etc.) Or it's like my 2017 Subaru Impreza where the torque converter would get too hot and slip like a bad manual trans driver, and almost get me smashed while pulling out in traffic.

I'm very interested in what you find out about your truck. I'm currently helping my mom source a 4x4 Frontier, and I want to make sure I'm not signing her up for a headache.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you didn't already figure this one out yet turn the overdrive off below 50 mph
Thank you!

I did read about it actually, and tried it a few times at first. Oddly enough, I don't even notice it anymore since I ruled it as "normal," and haven't touched the OD button in a month.

·
Registered
246 Posts
There is nothing mechanically different on the midnights. It’s all cosmetic. The only thing that could make it ride different would be the 18 inch wheels vs the 16 inch. I kind of doubt that’s my problem.

I will add this. When my steering wheel is getting the vibes at 65, and say I grip the steering wheel really hard like a death grip, the vibration seems to almost go away. Not sure if it’s a rubber bushing or something in the front.

I also should probably mention this. Some people don’t hear it and some people do. This is also at 65 mph while lightly feathering the throttle. It’s almost like a high frequency hum. Noise starts at 4 seconds. You may need to turn your volume up. Some people hear it, some don’t. Above 65 it goes away. And it’s only at that speed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If I had to rate my vibration on a scale of 1-10 I would say it’s maybe a 4. Or 4.5. I don’t think most people would notice it, but honestly between the 2 piece driveshaft and a suspension platform from 2005 I really wouldn’t consider it bad or trade in worthy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can definitely hear that hum in your video. Mine does it too, at essentially the exact same spot. I just figured it was gear whine (my previous vehicle was a 6-spd manual that whined like a loud, slow race car from day one.)

But I just realized I'm a bit of a fool... an auto trans doesn't have metal gears, so nothing to whine.

That being said, I wonder what gear it is in at that speed? Probably 5th? It is the only one that is technically an OD ratio, so maybe the harmonics change when the driven ratio passes the 1:1 point (4th gear). Or maybe something else is hitting that perfect whining speed.

I really have no idea what I am talking about.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If anything would be whining it would be the rear end. The dealer said he did hear it. Wasn’t bad enough to warrant a replacement and assured me of the 60k power train. Anyways. I got some stuff to do with the family. I’ll be posting tomorrow .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts