Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 XE CC 4x4 with 201000 km (about 125,000 miles) with a shake at high speed 60 MPH or 100 km/hr

I got new tires this spring, they were balanced new, a second time by the garage where I got them and again today by the Nissan techs...

I had an alignment done after the new tires were installed...

The garage doesn't find any trouble with the truck or tires, Nissan claims I got crappy cheap tires (Dunlop Radial Rover RV), and the problem is with the tires...

I brought it there today, complaining of a vibration at 100 km/hr. They claimed there was a vibration at 80 km/hr, so they rebalanced the tires, claiming they were off, test drove it again and said the vibration was now at 70 km/hr. They wrote off the whole thing as a tire issue. To be honest I didn't even notice the vibration at the lower speeds, and still find them no cause for concern.

The vibration at high speed is not confined to the steering wheel, in fact, it seems to be everything but the steering.

I do not think it is the tires, as I also seemed to have this problem with my winter tires, which are mounted on some old aluminum Toyota rims.

Everyone claims to have inspected the u joints and center/hanger/driveshaft support bearing. I have read a :crikey:lot about these parts on the forums...

I looked at it myself and it looks OK. I can move the shaft side to side / up and down a bit, but nothing excessive...

I am thinking I should replace the bearing, has anyone done this to alleviate this type of problem? Can this be done anywhere, I would be loathed to return to the dealership after paying over 80 bucks for a tire balancing.... Anyone try the Dunlops?

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
could it be a ball joint?

I broke a ball joint not too long ago and the tire shop didnt catch it when they alligned and balanced....my truck shook on the highway over bumps

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wheel/s bent? Do they use road force balancing? That will tell you if the tires are crap.

Look at looseness in the steering system and front suspension rather than the prop shaft, if you feel it in your steering wheel.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Loose/worn wheel bearings and loose/worn suspension bushings/parts will let any sort of vibration get amplified.

Jack up the front end of the truck, grab a handful of tire, and shake/pull on everything to see if anything is loose. Do it again with the truck on the ground to account for the suspension being topped out when off the ground (making the upper control arm and balljoint under tension.

My bet is that you have something loose in the front end, and the tires are making it worse.

I have had three sets of Dunlops, not the RVs, but one set of A/Ts and now two sets of R/Ts. They are not perfectly true but they do balance out and drive smooth on the highway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts