Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given proper maintenance (timing belts, water pump, tensioner, and oil changes every 5000 miles) how long can one expect a VG33 to last (miles)?

Is 300K unrealistic?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Given proper maintenance (timing belts, water pump, tensioner, and oil changes every 5000 miles) how long can one expect a VG33 to last (miles)?

Is 300K unrealistic?
I have about 290,000 on my 03 XE
Still runs great and looks even better

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Pathfinder had 239,000 miles when I sold it.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
It's not unrealistic, but also impossible to answer for a given engine. I've seen VG engines with 300K+ with their factory internals (pistons/bearings/etc).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mine has 156,000 on it and still runs like a top. I have some oil leaks, rear main seal, and I think lower crankshaft seal, but my plan is at 200K is to deal with that, along with maintenance issues. I have a local guy, that is very reasonable, that will pull the engine, and replace all seals, and gaskets and he loves the VG33, his dad raced can am in the 80's with basically the same engine. Apparently the 20 and 30 dominated their classes in can am, mid eighties.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Is 300K unrealistic?
just hit 221000 on mine this weekend, 2001 SE with regular maintenance on it. still running pretty good for a 16 year old truck. I don't think hitting 300k is unrealistic at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a keeper... My SUV lasted for 17 years with proper/regular maintenance. Never had any leaks on the engine and transmission. Things that i replaced are AC-Compressor, Transmission-cooler, belt-tensioner(external), timing belt, water-pump, drive-bearings(rear), and 4x4 vac pump, AC-fan-blower... It started to consume oil like a quart every month. I just add or maintained oil levels... Runs like a champ....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2002 that has 171000 miles, and I bought it brand new. The only engine part that has failed on me is the starter which I replaced at 142000 miles.
Also the knock sensor went out but I did the quick and easy knock sensor replacement trick.
Besides those things I have only done routine maintenance. I changed timing belt, drive belts,water pump & coolant at 140000, and replaced the valve cover gaskets at 164000.
My check engine light is permanently on because I have some oxygen sensor or catalytic converter problems (not sure which), but fortunately I don't live in a state that cares about emissions so I don't need to fix those.
Time for an oil change tomorrow! The truck is running great, no plans to ever get rid of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts