Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok Im going to dispell some BS that has been going around here and other forums on the VG30 headers not fitting vg33 blocks on a D22 frontier. I have a 2002 frontier 4wd crew cab long bed! I also have a 3 inch body lift installed. The Headers DO FIT, once again The headers FIT with some modification. You need to drill out the mounting holes, drill and weld new bungs, slightly bang in the exhaust on two sides. and weld a custom 1 foot piece back to the y pipe. I believe it will fit without the body lift but im not 100% sure. It is a very tedious process but I have done it. once again i repeat I CURRENTLY HAVE VG 3.0 LONGTUBES ON MY TRUCK, so DONT TELL ME THEY DONT FIT! I was sick and tired of people always arguing about certain parts and fitment so I bought them, took the risk and it payed off! I hope this clears every thing up. Ill upload pics in a couple min.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Okay, that's awesome but the point is that they do not "bolt-in" which is what most people want to happen. Since they are long tube you also have no place for cats, which most people have to have nowadays to pass inspection, so all that would have to be put into the purchase price. And yes, without a body lift those would have no chance of fitting in your truck.

But it is good to see people putting in the effort to make things work, most give up way too quickly. My truck and a few others would probably still be 2wd without a locker if I sat around waiting for someone else to do what I did.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did you feel any gains?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, that's awesome but the point is that they do not "bolt-in" which is what most people want to happen. Since they are long tube you also have no place for cats, which most people have to have nowadays to pass inspection, so all that would have to be put into the purchase price. And yes, without a body lift those would have no chance of fitting in your truck.

But it is good to see people putting in the effort to make things work, most give up way too quickly. My truck and a few others would probably still be 2wd without a locker if I sat around waiting for someone else to do what I did.
you can place cats on the collector, it allows about 1 FT between that and the y pipe which is perfect for a cat. second if you cant handle drilling holes, notching, and having bungs welded in then you dont deserve to be modding your truck so as far as im concerned there pretty bolt in. Pain in the *** but they are bolt in.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
wow dude calm down a bit man, for all the crap you HAD to do to make em work that might be an iss for some of us guys who don't have the right tools for the job. sure they may fit around the block and tranny but that might be it. we are looking for headers that don't require extra drilling, cutting, and welding just headers that bolt right in with no extra mods. but i am glad to see you got them to work, did you notice any major gains? is the exhaust louder?

·
Registered
881 Posts
So you're saying VG30 headers don't fit? :)
x2

... with some modification. You need to drill out the mounting holes, drill and weld new bungs, slightly bang in the exhaust on two sides. and weld a custom 1 foot piece back to the y pipe. I believe it will fit without the body lift but im not 100% sure.
Dude, this means they DON'T fit.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
wat? did u put it on an dyno? how much hp did you getz?

·
Registered
192 Posts
second if you cant handle drilling holes, notching, and having bungs welded in then you dont deserve to be modding your truck so as far as im concerned there pretty bolt in. Pain in the *** but they are bolt in.
In addition to what you wrote in the first post, I also read this post as meaning it doesn't fit. No offense, but according to your definition of "fits" a flat piece of sheet metal will fit our trucks. You are talking about modifications that most of us can't do because we don't have the necessary tools laying around our garages (I'd bet at least half of the ppl on here, myself included, have never touched any kind of welder).

Basically, it sounds like a sh*t load of work that 90% of us wouldn't be willing to do. However, since you did it, its nice that we know its possible.

None, the less:
:goodjob:

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill get some updated pics! I thought this post would be helpfull incase someone was willing to save a few bucks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok it has been a few hundred miles and figure a little update is in order.

There is substantial power gain out of boost! The truck has tons more torque and much better low end grunt!!!!

In boost (<0 psi) I noticed a decrease in torque and power unless i give it substantial gas. This is effectivly due to the lack of backpressure in the system. I am running full long tubes with custom made test pipes. The nismo exhaust i have on the truck is working well but the muffler sounds odd with my setup. I will most likely install a chambered flowmaster muffelr to add backpressure and change my sound! Ill have to get some sound clips etc.

I have not seen a mpg increase. Ofcourse considering im lifted 6 inches, have 12 offroad lights, safari basket and 33's doesnt help my mpg either. were looking at 11-15 mpg...... Anyways ill keep you guys updated!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how about some pics of your ride sir
hey grantypanties i will get some more pics for ya. Do you work for discountire? Can you help me purchase my rim/tire combo? thanks again

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
hey grantypanties i will get some more pics for ya. Do you work for discountire? Can you help me purchase my rim/tire combo? thanks again
That is in his signature as part of a contest from Discout Tires. Put something similar in your sig and you could win $100 toward purchase.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Since I'm tracking OregonFront's progress to modify his exhaust and saw this linked in his thread, i figured I would comment here.

In boost (<0 psi) I noticed a decrease in torque and power unless i give it substantial gas. This is effectivly due to the lack of backpressure in the system. I am running full long tubes with custom made test pipes. The nismo exhaust i have on the truck is working well but the muffler sounds odd with my setup. I will most likely install a chambered flowmaster muffelr to add backpressure and change my sound! Ill have to get some sound clips etc.
This statement makes little sense and its one of the oft-repeated, always mistaken myths of exhaust tubing. BACK PRESSURE IS BAD. You do not want back pressure. What you want is a balance between tubing that is not too large to slow down exhaust velocity yet not too small that it creates back pressure. It is very hard to have too large of an exhaust system on a forced induction motor as these motors create a larger exhaust volume than your standard N/A motor. If your motor performs well out of boost with the new headers, then it should perform better in boost as well, unless you have a bottleneck somewhere else - the Nismo exhaust, but I'll get to that.

Think of a garden hose. Ya'll remember playing with one of these when you were kids? Well I do, and its been a long time, but bear with me. We were too poor to afford a nozzle for our hose so we had to get creative during our water fights. When you turn on the spigot, the water came out with a little bit of force, but not enough to soak the kid standing out of blast range. However, when you put your thumb partly over the end of the hose, what happened? That water came out a helluva lot faster and shot farther, right? You were then able to direct a pinpoint stream of water into that little bugger's eye. Put your thumb too far over the hole and the water either stopped or still came out but you noticed water coming out of hose joint right there on the spigot - this is back pressure. You needed to balance flow and velocity to make this work and reign supreme in neighborhood water fights. Some scientist also calls this the Venturi effect and since it's a law of science, it applies to exhaust tubing as well.

At the OP, try something for me before you go and waste money on a Flowmaster. Pull your exhaust off from the Y-pipe back (that over-priced Nismo can and piping) and go do a couple pulls with the truck and come back and tell us how it behaved. My guess is your in-boost power will be greatly increased without that Nismo piping on there. How big are your cats (diameter-wise)? How big is the diameter of that single Nismo pipe? My guess is too small.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts