Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got snow today, and the 4x4 works good, however when backing up to my parking spot at home in 4high the passenger side of the dash made a very loud rattle noise, I mean it sounded like squirrel was in there, and it was due to the truck being under some stress in 4x4 with the wheels cut sharp which I guess caused it to show itself, and its not just something in the glove box I checked. any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,258 Posts
Any chance the tire was rubbing hard packed snow/ice in the wheel opening and gave you a grinding noise?

Clint

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I checked that out too. I do hear about the same noise going over rumble strips only much less.

·
Super Moderator
11,258 Posts
When will you get to the dealer to have them give you an answer on the engine noise? They can check this item too.
hopefully they get you happy again soon.

Clint

·
Registered
862 Posts
Since your truck has less than 2500 miles on it, I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out. If you don't like the dealership you purchased the truck from, your warranty and truck will receive a warm welcome at any Nissan dealership. Service departments do warranty work all day long, and they don't mind doing it because it pays the bills.

A friend of mine is a certified GM mechanic, and most of the work coming into his dealership is warranty work. His dealership likes warranty work.

Schedule a 3,750 mile service, and then make them a list of all the problems your want them to address. Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan to go Monday, if the weather holds I plan to make a list for them too.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I'm thinking its your ALBS kicking in and making that wierd rattling noise. Go out and replay the event again, then drive it down the road in 2wd and "romp on it" ... you will probably get the same noise ... then you will know ..its the ALBS.

d-mo

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 2010 only has 2400 miles now and it has made this noise occassionally as well. This morning in 20 degree weather at the red-light on an off ramp, it was making the noise at idle... then when coming off idle it would go away until the vibes get it excited again. It's as if some plastic dash piece is not square and is under stress on one axis, making a 'hinge' then the other free parts are free to vibrate.

On my next warrany trip I plan to bring this up, along with the loud front diff while driving (roaring bearings).

I still like my truck though- would'nt change my purchase decision.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Dash rattles seem to be pretty common in these trucks, I attribute it to all the hard plastic pieces and the tight tolerances. I've got one that seems to be behind the intrument panel that comes and goes, one in the middle of the dash above the radio that goes away if I put pressure on it (but comes back), and one on the passenger side that seems to get louder as the truck is warming up and the heater is on. Once the interior of the truck is toasty, seems to go away. Assume that one has to do with plastic pieces expanding and contracting with the temp change.

Not sure how much help the dealer will be in tracking these down. Also dont really want someone ripping into my dash creating other issues down the road. Unless they get really loud i'll probably just let them be.

I've come to not expect perfection in this truck and just drive it from point A to point B and make my payment (and then some, I dont want to be stuck paying for this for ever and having and owing more than what its worth). Not saying I dislike my truck, but I dont love it either. Its.... okay.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Dash rattles seem to be pretty common in these trucks, I attribute it to all the hard plastic pieces and the tight tolerances. I've got one that seems to be behind the intrument panel that comes and goes, one in the middle of the dash above the radio that goes away if I put pressure on it (but comes back), and one on the passenger side that seems to get louder as the truck is warming up and the heater is on. Once the interior of the truck is toasty, seems to go away. Assume that one has to do with plastic pieces expanding and contracting with the temp change.

Not sure how much help the dealer will be in tracking these down. Also dont really want someone ripping into my dash creating other issues down the road. Unless they get really loud i'll probably just let them be.

I've come to not expect perfection in this truck and just drive it from point A to point B and make my payment (and then some, I dont want to be stuck paying for this for ever and having and owing more than what its worth). Not saying I dislike my truck, but I dont love it either. Its.... okay.
I believe this sums it all pretty well. I've got several rattles around the cab. Not expected in a new truck but I've gotten used to it. The rattle on the passenger side I believe is exactly due to the expansion/contraction of the plastic. Mines rattles like a madman when the heater/defroster is on but it goes away after 10 miles of driving once the truck warms up. I've got sporadic rattles on the driver side and the center dash. Usually go away once she's warm. It's a truck, not a Cadillac. I like my truck a little more each day... Which is a fair change in opinion from the first few months of ownership.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its good to know that I am not alone, but I can't help but feel a bit ripped off, as my 02 taco I traded in had less squeaks & such. As Nissan has produced this generation since 05 they really do not have an excuse for it, or their other issues. The 09 and 10's should really have it together at this point, but alas they don't, as evidenced by our comments. It is a pitiful shame too, as they have so much going for them (Frontiers) at the same time.:thatswck:

·
Registered
637 Posts
^^ It is unfortunate that you spend $22k on a brand new vehicle and have to deal with rattles and squeaks, its not right but it is what it is. Just try not to sweat it or it will drive you mad!

When it starts to rattle think of rainbow's, kitty cats, puppy dogs, butterfly's, etc. and put yourself in a happy place. :noworries:

Comapring it to a 2002 Taco wont help either. Those trucks were built very well and if they still sold that body style new I would have bought one. The new Tacomas on the other hand arent much better than our trucks (I've read) and rattle too...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^ It is unfortunate that you spend $22k on a brand new vehicle and have to deal with rattles and squeaks, its not right but it is what it is. Just try not to sweat it or it will drive you mad!

When it starts to rattle think of rainbow's, kitty cats, puppy dogs, butterfly's, etc. and put yourself in a happy place. :noworries:

Comapring it to a 2002 Taco wont help either. Those trucks were built very well and if they still sold that body style new I would have bought one. The new Tacomas on the other hand arent much better than our trucks (I've read) and rattle too...
00 FRONTIER, your right Toyota messed up with thier 05 & up models, thats why I did'nt get one either. I will try to find my happy place and have :noworries:

·
Registered
255 Posts
My truck has the same glove box rattle.. Sometimes the vibration from idling is enough to make it rattle at a light and it'll do it somedays the whole time driving down the road, even smoother ones.

After making sure it wasn't actually anything inside the glove box, I figure it has to be something on all the ac stuff behind there.

Has anyone taken the lower dash apart on that side and figured out what it is?

I've checked behind the glove box by just pulling it down like I'm going to replace the cabin filters, pulled the fuse cover off and also checked everything I can reach underneath around the ac condensate drain.:wtf:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
these trucks have a few rattles in cold weather but if you were in 4wd i guess it was slick and up hill so i would honestly say it's probably your abs pump working the abls (did you notice the slip light coming on) the noises it makes tend to freak alot of people out

·
Registered
151 Posts
my 2010 se cc doesnt rattle at all. rattles are about the only thing i have not had a problem with. it has 11000 miles on it. i had a 04 tacoma and a 08 tacoma. i wish i had never got rid of the 04 but the 08 was a pile of junk. it rattled alot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts