Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Frontier has gotten 16 MPG in the City and 19 MPG on the highway traveling steady at 72 mph.

After installing an ARE fiberglass toneau cover the mileage did not improve at all. (I thought it would a little)

I changed all 8 fluids we have in our trucks and used synthetics where I could.
Mobil 1 10W-30 in the engine.

Then I installed a Stillen cat-back exhaust for $166.
Then an Ebay cold air intake that looks like a K&N clone for another $75.
The stock sized tires are set at 34 psi.

I now get 19.2 in the city - driving pretty easy.
23.2 on the highway with the cruise set at 72 mph.
All with the air conditioning on "High"

I am very surprised and happy with the results.

The truck has 88,000 miles and the plugs and rest are still original.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm surprised the tonneau cover didn't help at all. Is it really heavy?

My soft tonneau seemed to help by almost 1 MPG on the highway.

Try pumping your tires up to about 38 psi if you can stand the slightly harsher ride.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the toneau cover is pretty heavy. It takes 2 people to remove and install it because of it's size and weight. I would guess it weighs about 75 pounds.

The smoother airflow did not make any difference in the mileage however.

The exhaust and intake made a big difference, more than I expected.
Plus the increase in power and better sounds are great.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, I am very surprised with the mileage increase also, but it's accurate.
I check it with every fill-up.

Of course it would take a long time to save enough in gas to pay for my mods, but I did them for fun and efficiency.

My muffler was needing replacement and the entire Stillen exhaust cost much less then just a new Nissan OEM muffler.
Plus the sound is very nice.

My intake was a steal at $75 delivered.

I think my city mileage increased so much because I am driving very easy. The exhaust has a nice mellow sound at low RPM's so I'm rarely over 2000.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I thought I made this post in my sleep or something!

But I had much better results... I just purchased an A.R.E. Fiberglass topper for my truck (02 S/C CC LB 4x4) and gained nearly 2 mpg! On average I am getting 18mpg around town, and 21 on the highway. All stock everything, non synthetics, etc. but, I do plan on getting an intake, and exhaust soon.

Got any pics of that topper on your truck? And what did you pay for it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My ARE LSII cover was $325. I bought it used locally from Craigslist.

It is 5 years old and in near perfect condition. The color match is perfect. Desert Sand color.

It's interesting that you got a mileage increase. After 6 months of checking mileage I didn't get any increase using it. I was very surprised, but it is pretty heavy.
I think you will see another nice increase after doing the intake and exhaust.

Sorry, I haven't taken a pic of my cover yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an Agricover Lorado soft tonneau on my Gen 3 and I have seen about a 1 MPG pickup on the highway. It doesn't seem to make any difference on local driving.

James

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I called Stillen and ordered the one for my 2001 V-6 SE King Cab. They didn't offer more than one.

Stillen Exhaust: $166 - delivered, Dan Barber, Steve Millen Sportparts, 3176 Airway Ave, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714-540-5566 ext.128 [email protected]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get a Scan Gauge II

The Scan Gauge II can really help you adjust your driving style and can give you instant fuel mileage, tank average, trip average, and about 20 pieces of vehicle data (including throttle position sensor) which can really help you up your mileage. It can also read and resest trouble codes and it works with almost any vehicle. I'm loving mine its helped me up my mileage by 2 mpg at least.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kerm:
Thanks for the info.
I have not heard of the Scan Gauge II before. It looks like an easy install and costs around $160 delivered.
I can see myself looking at it more than the road outside with all the info it provides.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
You should get a new Y-pipe made... Bet you get more!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I was looking at the Y pipe when I installed my new exhaust. It looks like it runs pretty smooth, no sharp angles. Other than increasing it's size it doesn't look there could be a big improvement.

Have people seen good improvements with a new Y pipe?

I would guess a muffler shop could make one pretty easily. Or are there any after market companies making them?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm surprised the tonneau cover didn't help at all. Is it really heavy?

My soft tonneau seemed to help by almost 1 MPG on the highway.

Try pumping your tires up to about 38 psi if you can stand the slightly harsher ride.
this may have been stated already, but mythbusters did an experiment with mpg and trucks and different beds setups.

they found that by adding a cover or leaving your tailgate open created a downforce on the bed of the truck resulting in less mpg, whereas not having a cover and having tailgate up caused wind flow to create an updraft on the bed making it lighter and increasing mpgs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any issues with installation?

I called Stillen and ordered the one for my 2001 V-6 SE King Cab. They didn't offer more than one.

Stillen Exhaust: $166 - delivered, Dan Barber, Steve Millen Sportparts, 3176 Airway Ave, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714-540-5566 ext.128 [email protected]
Lakedog,

Did you have any problems with installation?

JDB

·
Registered
31 Posts
After getting new tires(AT) and a K&N drop in, I seem to get over 20 mpg at 70. Around town, 15 or less when it is 100 outside. It is true that the tailgate does not hurt mileage, better air flow. I think my camper top is a wash, although it weighs 150-200 lbs, my guess My old tires were BFG AT KO's. I had about 50k on them, they were 8 or 9 years old. Got the Dakota AT tires (made by Coopper)from Pep Boys, about $400 for (4) 9.5x30x15, buy 3 get 1 free. I think my exhast has a way to go before I need a Stillien.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JDB

My Stillen exhaust was very easy to install.

The old pipe came off in one piece after removing the bolts from the y pipe back.

The new exhaust came in 3 pieces and went right on perfectly.

The total time for removal and install was under 1 hour.

I didn't think I would notice much difference in power but I was wrong. There is a noticeable improvement and the sound is very nice.
I also like the polished tip with STILLEN engraved on it.

Good luck...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts