Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my lift on and the lights were on, I drove about 10 mins and they reset like I have read they would, I then put my 2.5 coilovers on and my battery died before I could drive it again (so I do not know if they are contributing), so I put the new battery in and the lights were on again, so I drove for about 30-40 mins and the lights are still on, anybody have any insight into this on what I can do to try and reset them, short of taking it to the dealer so they can tell me it's somehow caused by my lift.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, I am replacing the CV boot I tore tonight so I'll look around.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am having the exact same problem

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put my lift on and the lights were on, I drove about 10 mins and they reset like I have read they would, I then put my 2.5 coilovers on and my battery died before I could drive it again (so I do not know if they are contributing), so I put the new battery in and the lights were on again, so I drove for about 30-40 mins and the lights are still on, anybody have any insight into this on what I can do to try and reset them, short of taking it to the dealer so they can tell me it's somehow caused by my lift.
So I just put a Calmini on a little bit ago and am having the exact same problem. All my lights were on, but then as I had read they went away after driving for a bit. Then my VDC and slip came back on and will not go off! The dealership wants $110 to diagnose and of course gave me the whole lift kit spiel. I have no idea what to do.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I just put a Calmini on a little bit ago and am having the exact same problem. All my lights were on, but then as I had read they went away after driving for a bit. Then my VDC and slip came back on and will not go off! The dealership wants $110 to diagnose and of course gave me the whole lift kit spiel. I have no idea what to do.
My light was on the day I bought the truck brand new, and they even told me that the battery died while it was on the lot so I brought it in and they reset it then it came on again and they had to order some sensor and it they turned it off again, then it came on a third time and they reset it, I don't care what they have to say about the lift this has been a problem before, it's an 08 with 16K on it, if they try to charge me for it I'm calling Nissan USA and filing a complaint, I mean come on this freakin problem is all over the internet do a google search on nissan vdc and you'll see what I mean, every freakin vehicle they make that has it pops up, and I checked all the connections for the sensors at the wheels and the electrical connections and they all seem fine. Oh well, alignment tomorrow finally then hopefully Friday to get the light fixed. ###### Oh yeah I used my Cortex to try to clear the DTC's and it said all were good but the lights were still on, and I am able to engage 4WD anybody have any insight to where this is leading? Bad sensor, steering angle needing reset?

·
Registered
174 Posts
mine did it the other day too, left my sirius on and didnt drive it for almost a week. vdc turned off after i shut the truck down from a 5 min drive. not sure why yours would be staying on

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine did it the other day too, left my sirius on and didnt drive it for almost a week. vdc turned off after i shut the truck down from a 5 min drive. not sure why yours would be staying on
I'm not sure but a guess would be that the steering angle sensor loses it memory when you disconnect the battery for an extended period of time and the only way to fix it is to take it to the dealer where they can reset it with their computer, as from I have read a regular OBDII scanner cannot due to some poprietary software that Nissan uses, can anyone else chime in on this? Actually I'm not too worried about it right now, my brakes, and 4wd are working and it's actually nice to hit the gas and feel the wheels respond to what you want.

·
Registered
643 Posts
some say its the electrical connectors on the sensors near the wheels that brown plastic thingymajig fails

·
Registered
82 Posts
VDC/SLIP light fixed!!!

Hey Nismo05,

Not sure if you're still having this problem, but I just took mine in to the dealer today for the relay recall. I didn't even mention the VDC/Slip thing to them because I had brought it in earlier about that and was told $110 to diagnose. When they were done putting in the new relay he told me he fixed my VDC and that it just needed a little reprogram no big deal. Didn't charge me anything. Just thought I'd let you know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
VDC/SLIP light stays on after battery replacement. PLEASE HELP:)

I am currently having this VDC/SLIP light on problem. My battery went dead on my truck, I bought a new battery and replaced the 4-5 year old battery(I think it was the original battery from 2008 ). I put my new battery in, turned my ignition on, and those 2 lights were left on. I have done the recommended "drive for 10 minutes and they should turn off" like the manual says(which I think is crazy because in the owners manual, they have to tell you when you replace the battery, the vdc/slip lights may stay on-you will need to have the wheels straight when starting the vehicle and drive above 10kms/hour for 10 minutes) I have checked the ABS fuse. I have checked all the grounds that are on the drivers side underhood attached to fender. I have screwed the gas cap on tight(someone suggested that on a google search). I have held the VDC button down and started the engine at the same time. All info anyone may have on this would be great. There has to be some reason why are changing a battery those lights stay on.Thanks so much :confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am currently having this VDC/SLIP light on problem. My battery went dead on my truck, I bought a new battery and replaced the 4-5 year old battery(I think it was the original battery from 2008 ). I put my new battery in, turned my ignition on, and those 2 lights were left on. I have done the recommended "drive for 10 minutes and they should turn off" like the manual says(which I think is crazy because in the owners manual, they have to tell you when you replace the battery, the vdc/slip lights may stay on-you will need to have the wheels straight when starting the vehicle and drive above 10kms/hour for 10 minutes) I have checked the ABS fuse. I have checked all the grounds that are on the drivers side underhood attached to fender. I have screwed the gas cap on tight(someone suggested that on a google search). I have held the VDC button down and started the engine at the same time. All info anyone may have on this would be great. There has to be some reason why are changing a battery those lights stay on.Thanks so much

Like I said in an earlier post the dealer fixed it for me really quickly and for free. However, I did take it in for a recall an they just noticed the lights on and fixed it. I asked him what was wrong and he said oh just needed a "recalibration". Doesn't cost anything. So if you have any other reason to take your truck in I'm confident they could do this for you. But like I said before if that is the only reason you're going the tech will want to "diagnose" the truck and probably charge you a nice fee. I didn't get my uprev until later but perhaps someone with an uprev tuner or obdII reader could clear it for you. I don't know if that'd be a permanent fix though. Its been a long time since they fixed mine and I've never had a problem since. Good luck with your truck! Hope you get it figured out :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
What I found worked for me was the following:
  1. Find a straight section of road where you can safely stop and turn the truck off [not yet though]. I used the street in front of my house for this.
  2. Make sure that the truck is pointed straight down the road and the steering wheel is straight.
  3. Turn the truck off.
  4. Turn the truck on.
  5. DO NOT TURN THE STEERING WHEEL AT ALL.
  6. Put the truck in gear and drive in a straight line.
  7. The VDC SLIP light should go out after you travel a truck length or two.

I found this way to turn the light off after cleaning my battery terminals and having the light not shut off after driving around all day. Worked like a charm for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BOOM! Thank you Chad. You are the man. My problem was I was always fixing it in my driveway. So I would reverse out of my driveway or when driving straight out I have to instantly turn out of my driveway. In the manual it says to have your wheels straight and start your engine, I did, however, after moving a few feet, I would have to turn out of my driveway. You are awesome man....I am so thankful I don't have to head to Nissan tomorrow. I was going to put my lift kit in today, but didn't want to bring it in to Nissan after lifting it as they may blame the lights on the new lift kit. Tomorrow instead of going to Nissan, I will be lifting my truck! Woot woot! Thanks again!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

What I found worked for me was the following:
  1. Find a straight section of road where you can safely stop and turn the truck off [not yet though]. I used the street in front of my house for this.
  2. Make sure that the truck is pointed straight down the road and the steering wheel is straight.
  3. Turn the truck off.
  4. Turn the truck on.
  5. DO NOT TURN THE STEERING WHEEL AT ALL.
  6. Put the truck in gear and drive in a straight line.
  7. The VDC SLIP light should go out after you travel a truck length or two.

I found this way to turn the light off after cleaning my battery terminals and having the light not shut off after driving around all day. Worked like a charm for me. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts