Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’m hoping you guys can help me out. I have a 2011 Nissan Frontier and I’ve had more problems with this truck than I could even begin to explain! Anyway, last night I was driving into work and the roads were very icy and wet. I hit a puddle on the road and the truck did a 1/4 hydroplane, nothing serious. When that happened the VDC OFF, SLIP, ABS and BRAKE lights all came on. Once I got to work I turned the car off and turned it back on again and the lights were off. However, once I started driving again the lights would come back on 20 feet down the road. This happened a number of years ago and I remember the lights did go off on their own but I can’t recall the time frame. I’ve been doing my research over the past day and I’ve done what’s been suggested. My coolant levels & power steering fluids were both at min and I topped them off. I’m just wondering if any of you guys have had this happen in the past or are currently dealing with the same situation. I bought this truck new and to say it’s been a bust is an understatement. I’m trading it in, in two weeks for another vehicle (most likely not a Nissan) but I still wanna try and get this squared away. Thank you guys for any tips, suggestions or advice any of you have.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Have not had the issue.
How was your brake fluid level? You may want to go to a mechanic to see if any codes were thrown and stored.
You could have a faulty wheel speed sensor or another traction control sensor.

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
I have had that happen a couple of times over the years in the exact same situation you described. I also have an '11, so, not sure what that means. I haven't seen it since I had the dealership do the steering angle sensor recalibration a while back though. Not sure if that's related or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All fluids are good and those lights pop on at 15 MPH. Unfortunately the Nissan Service Center by me are complete crooks. I replaced my tires 3 days before I took the car in for an oil change and they told me my tires were worn and needed replacement smh. This has happened before but I don’t remember the lights staying on for this long. My gut tells me it’s a malfunction because when I slid those lights came on and everything was driving fine but I just don’t know anymore.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds like your steering angle sensor needs to be reset. I had this issue before after swapping steering wheels. Can't find the exact procedure now, but I believe it involved unplugging the battery for a few minutes then driving in a straight line for a hundred feet or so at 15 mph or less

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this happened randomly I would think there was a sensor issue but to skid on ice and have the lights come on make me feel it’s a malfunction. I appreciate the tip I’ll try and look up the procedure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update. As many problems as I’ve had with Nissan and my Frontier the lights went off the day before I brought the car in for trade in. It was kind of like the truck looked out for me until the end because who knows how much the dealership would have given me with all those lights on. I was sad to give it up and say goodbye but look forward to the journeys ahead with my new SUV (NOT NISSAN). End of the day I believe it was a malfunction if anyone sees this thread in the future and is looking for advice. I’ll miss her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts