Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 XE and it had some oil leaking into the #1 spark plug well when I bought it, the previous owner said the valve cover gasket and such had been replaced about 30,000 miles ago. I replaced the valve gasket and spark plug seals with new and it is still leaking oil into the #1 spark plug. Could there be an issue with the valve cover in that spot? or something else, seems strange that it would be leaking through the same area after 2 new seals have been put on. Thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
Make sure the correct valve cover grommets (the rubber seals under the valve cover bolts or nuts) are being used. The KA24DE in the rear wheel drive vehicles used different grommets than those in the front wheel drive vehicles, like the U13 Altimas. Aftermarket kits like FelPro will usually comes with two bags of grommets in it, one for each type of engine. I ran into a situation where I got a kit for an Altima and they put two of the same grommet sets in it and I ended up with #2 spark plug well overfilling with oil a few days later. I guess it's possible that a valve cover could be warped, but I've never ran across one on a KA24DE. It's also possible that the aluminum is porous and oil is seeping though into the well, but that's a very rare occurrence, as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Guess I will need to get a new set and make sure to use the right grommets. I'm hoping this fixes my rough idle issue as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts