Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my frontier about 3 months ago, and I noticed that I've got a leak coming from the valve covers (both sides). It's a 2005 LE V6. A mechanic told me that because of the material the valve covers are made out of, you have to replace the entire cover, there's not just a gasket. I've been searching for 3 days now and I can only find info on the 1st gen, nothing about the 2nd gen v6. Can someone let me know if he's full of crap and if I can just buy a gasket or if I really do need to buy a whole new valve cover? someone else has had to run into this by now. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
This is a pretty common problem. My driver's side cover leaks a small bit, while the passenger side holds tight. I'm not 100% sure about these part numbers, but it appears that the mechanic is indeed misinformed.

13270-EA20B Valve Cover Gasket, RIGHT
13270-EA21B Valve Cover Gasket, LEFT

·
Registered
534 Posts
This is a pretty common problem. My driver's side cover leaks a small bit, while the passenger side holds tight. I'm not 100% sure about these part numbers, but it appears that the mechanic is indeed misinformed.

13270-EA20B Valve Cover Gasket, RIGHT
13270-EA21B Valve Cover Gasket, LEFT
Diagram for reference

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
There are two gaskets, the outer gasket and the spark plug o-ring gaskets. If the outer gasket is leaking oil, it is replaceable. If oil is leaking past the spark plug o-rings, you have to replace the whole cover. So he's partial right.

·
Super Moderator
19,659 Posts
On the older Nissan V6 engines with aluminum alloy valve covers the gasket was replaceable. On the newer V6 engines with composite covers you normally need to replace the entire cover which comes with the gaskets installed. I've had to replace 3 on two different 3.5 engines. I don't notice any leaks on my 06 with nearly 141,000 miles on it yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they will leak. The rubber gets brittle over time and cracks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are two gaskets, the outer gasket and the spark plug o-ring gaskets. If the outer gasket is leaking oil, it is replaceable. If oil is leaking past the spark plug o-rings, you have to replace the whole cover. So he's partial right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYw4S2mbSBE
this is perfect! Thank you, I have been going crazy trying to figure out why some people say yes and some say no. The truck has 171k on it, I think i'll just go ahead and replace them both so I don't have any issues.

·
Super Moderator
19,659 Posts
I looked at my engine today and see that the driver side cover has some leakage. I will be heading to the Nissan dealer sometime this week to buy replacement parts. I have already replaced 2 of the 3 rubber hoses that are connected to the valve covers. will replace the last one on the front that connects to both covers as part of the ventilation system. Those hoses get hard over time and also become brittle.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Zerosixle, did you get your truck (new?) in Fall '05 or in '06?

Would you call it a leak or seep?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Can you get these valve cover gaskets in silicone? I've been looking at partsgeek and rockauto and it seems it's only available in rubber.

·
Super Moderator
19,659 Posts
Can you get these valve cover gaskets in silicone? I've been looking at partsgeek and rockauto and it seems it's only available in rubber.
I have never looked for any made of silicone. The rubber ones last a long while before they start leaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts