Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2014 Nissan Frontier SV
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Frontier SV 6 cyl has a small valve cover leak. Not enough to even show up on the pavement but it is a $600 job which I do not have. Will this leak be of any harm if I keep an eye on it for a couple of months till I can afford the repair?

· Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
16,091 Posts
Mine leaked to the point it was getting down into the plug. I would get it fixed. I did mine myself and the covers are an odd shape - making it take a little longer than I wished, but it wasn't difficult by any means.

· Registered
3,480 Posts
My 2014 Frontier SV 6 cyl has a small valve cover leak. Not enough to even show up on the pavement but it is a $600 job which I do not have. Will this leak be of any harm if I keep an eye on it for a couple of months till I can afford the repair?
Is it a seep or a leak?
A seep is a damp oily/dusty patch at the point of the seep. No drips/drops of oil anywhere.
A leak is evidenced by a visible drop of oil, usually to the point where the road dust is washed away.

If it's a seep, I'd leave it alone. It could go for 20 years like that.
If it's a leak, yes you can wait a few months until you scrape up the funds to fix it.
Check the oil level on the dipstick, be sure it is reasonably close to full, at all times
If you have small socket wrenches, you can try to snug the bolts up a tiny bit, at least make sure they aren't loose. You might get lucky. But don't over-tighten, they break easy.

Mostly all vehicles on the road are seeping/leaking somewhere, no reason to panic.

· Premium Member
7,172 Posts
What Milage are you at? Some folks replace the valve covers/ Gaskets at the same time they do their sparkplugs for the reason @Zedbra mentioned. Group all the overlapping labor together on the job.

And, As @RamTest mentioned, a seep and a leak are two different things. Every vehicle I ever owned had something seeping. Never dripped a drop on my driveway and or required almost no fluid to be added so I kept an eye on them and eventually sold the vehicle that way.

· Registered
1,257 Posts
What Milage are you at? Some folks replace the valve covers/ Gaskets at the same time they do their sparkplugs for the reason @Zedbra mentioned. Group all the overlapping labor together on the job.

And, As @RamTest mentioned, a seep and a leak are two different things. Every vehicle I ever owned had something seeping. Never dripped a drop on my driveway and or required almost no fluid to be added so I kept an eye on them and eventually sold the vehicle that way.
⬆ 👆This right here, that is what I did, removed intake plenum in order to access passenger side valve cover when I replaced spark plugs, it wasn't that difficult, you just need to take your time.

· Registered
3,239 Posts
Your dealer would also have charged you $600 plus parts to change sparkplugs. Doing both kills two birds. Plugs and gaskets will cost you about $200.

R&R the plenum is just work if you pay attention and go slow. There are a few Youtube videos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts