Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched all the threads and couldnt really get a definitive answer. I have an 01 xe, 3.3. Recently ive started to notice a tap, or a knock. It sounds lik its in the valves. Also, when i start it up in the morning, the exhaust is very rich and almost smells like some bad gas. Ive been wondering if my valves need adjustmnet, or replacing, or if its time for the timing belt. I have around 90000 to 93000 miles. Have to double check. Also, would a bad spark plug gap have to do with this. im interested in the new E-3 diamond fire plugs. Any one tried these? How hard is it to do a volve adjustment?

·
Registered
877 Posts
No valve adjustment on the 3.3
The timing belt is due at 105k for replacement.

Sometimes the 3.3s do make valve train noise.
Nothing to worry about.

You might have a exhaust leak.
Extremely common on 02 ,and older 3.3s
It is usally the passenger manifold that cracks first.
Somtimes the drivers side will as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I agree about the manifold leak. Before you do any of the stuff you're talking about, get a can of Seafoam and run it through the brake booster line according to the directions. If you get white smoke pouring out of your engine compartment, one of your manifolds is probably cracked.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
have your codes checked... You are probably throwing a Knock sensor code.... Its common with our trucks. My rattle was a combination of things though... Mine was the knock sensor and something in the timing belt area. (bad pulley or something) Start with the code scan and then go from there...
check this out if you pop the KS code
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/knock-sensor-relocation-how-41704/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, this morning as I started it up, I decided to stick my nose near the manifolds to smell if it was coming from there. I couldnt really smell it in the engine compartment. I did though recently install the nismo cat back, so i checked all the connections to see if something was loose, and with no results. All the smell was from the tip, and there is even white smoke now, coming from the tailpipe. Its not cold here, so I dont think its water evap. Could my injectors be fouled?

When I went to the local checker, I asked the guys there what they thought would cause the white smoke out the exhaust. they both mentioned it could be a bad head gasket and that I could be burning coolant. I checked my coolant level and it is low. I havnt been having overheating latley or at all, so I dont know if this is the case. How could I check to see if it is the head gasket? Leak test? How do you do a leak test.

·
Registered
431 Posts
coulds the smell be the junk they put on the pipes to keep them from coroding while in storage and shipping I know that can take some time to burn off.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
yeah the white smoke could be from your new pipes and muffler packing, my magnaflow did that for a while til it was broken in. coolant gets low just add some water and coolant and you are good to go, the ticking is probably the lifters, the vg33 is known to have lots of lifter tap when they get older.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ive had the exhaust installed for over 7 months, so I dont think thats the case. It goes away after awhile, so obviously it could be something seeping in somewhere and getting burned up. Im ok with it for now, I havnt notice any other wierd noises or performance losses. It just made me nervous to see the smoke. Last time I had a car smoke, it through a rod and shattered the crank. Did the entire rebiuld myself. A few months later it started having valve problems, so I got rid of it for 1500, when just a few days earlier it was worth 5000.

YouTube - Nismo Exhaust 2004 Frontier CClb VG33E This is exactly what it looks like, so maybe it is my exhast. Would it do this after 7 months of being installed? I cant tell what time of the year this video was taken, but like I said, its warm here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts