Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Nissan truck back in April (SE crew). I now have 3,300 miles on it and ever since new it has had bad on-center feel. My previous truck was a '99 F150 4wd w/ 210,000 miles. It drove better than this new truck. I test drove a 2wd Frontier and was pleased. The dealership found a 4wd for me. I would have passed on this truck had I driven it first. The mechanic said that all 4wd Frontiers have this steering issue. I find that unacceptable. I am constantly making small corrections at highway speeds. I checked tire pressures and they are all 35 psi. I even tried raising the fronts to 40 psi. It just rode harder. Car and Driver magazine said this truck had good steering feel and they are a trusted source. Please help.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Welcome to CF!

Have ya considered an alignment?

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
First welcome to the club.

Second, I can't say I've ever experienced what you are describing.
Maybe someone will be along shortly that can help you.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Welcome and sorry you are not enjoying your truck.

I have not experienced any tracking problems with my truck, but it isn't 4 wheel drive. There are plenty of 4X4 guys and gals on here who will soon chime in on your issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with the Nissan tech. about alignment, but he assured me that this was normal. I got the feeling that I was jsut getting the blow-off; that's why I wanted some input from you guys. The truck has rack and pinion steering which should be better than my old F150's recirculating ball. I might just take it to a trusted alignment shop. I shouldn't have to pay for this though.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I too was alarmed when I first took my Frontier on the Interstate because the steering was unexpectedly "darty". i.e. a slight turn of the wheel would result in a major course change and as you noted, I was "constantly making small corrections at highway speeds".

I'm used to it now however and rather like the precision. When steering around potholes and trash in the road at higher speeds, Frontier's steering is impressive. I think I recall that it's performance through cones was supreme in a magazine test against other mid-sizers.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
somethings not right. my 4x tracks straight as an arrow all day long. even under load/towing. the only thing i ever noticed was an obvious bump-steer, but its understandable and not like what you're describing.

anyway, welcome aboard. hope it all gets "straightened out"

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
i think he is blowing you off. i havent had this problem. they should take care of it for you if you bought it new, mention the "12/12" plan which is 12 months/12k miles to address customer satisfaction concern items. my steering feels pretty solid. you might wanna read brutal's wheel alignment sticky in the suspension section to understand how caster helps to track the vehicle straighter. all the nissan/alignment shops care about is to get your truck within "spec" and not really care how the truck feels to you on the road.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
This Is The Prime Reason On My Alignments Here I Always Recommend Putting The Eccentrics In The Rear (of The Front Lower Control Arms) Pointing At The Oil Pan. And The Front Eccentrics Pointed Straight Out, Again This Is The Best Compromise For What Many Want Here. Ie Move The Tire Forward To Increase Clearance For Larger Tires......and Drum Roll......gives The Most Postive Caster That Makes The Truck Want To Track Straight A Not Behave Like This. Yes On Lifted Trucks You Still Have Positive Camber, But Until You Are Around 2*+/- Camber, Wear Is Not An Issue If The Toe Is Set Correctly.....
Take It To Them Insist On An Alignment Increaing Caster And Restting Toe Making Sure They Comphensate For Suspension Deflection...if They Dont Know What This Is, Tell Them To Read Mercedes "how To" Align That Is Stored On Their Alignment Machine Paying Attention To "the Pressor Bar" Section, They Can Use Their Arms To Do The Same....

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have an 1005 with 55K miles, and it is 100% perfect at any speed. The darty and constint corrections your making is not correct. I would just take it to a diffrent dealer, The fact that the mechanic said "they all do that" is total B.S.! I had to have a pissing match with my dealer before the replaced my rear dif, and my transmission. Once I told them I wont take no for an answer, they looked into it and... well I have a new drive line.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Welcome to the club!
Sucks about your truck bro. I would take it to another nissan dealer if you have another close. There are two dealers by my house and both are dicks one is just a little bit better than the other. If you do not have another dealer I would go to an alignment shop or get mr tires free inspection coupon have them print up what you need done then show the dealer.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I have an 1005 with 55K miles, and it is 100% perfect at any speed. The darty and constint corrections your making is not correct. I would just take it to a diffrent dealer, The fact that the mechanic said "they all do that" is total B.S.! I had to have a pissing match with my dealer before the replaced my rear dif, and my transmission. Once I told them I wont take no for an answer, they looked into it and... well I have a new drive line.
Jordo, please post up some pics of your 1005 I don't believe I have ever seen one! :)

Sorry, no offense but I just couldn't pass that up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. I'm going to be contacting the service manager next week and get this resolved since I now know that 4wd Frontiers aren't supposed to steer this way. Again, thanks for all the advice and info.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
:confused:
Thanks for the info. I'm going to be contacting the service manager next week and get this resolved since I now know that 4wd Frontiers aren't supposed to steer this way. Again, thanks for all the advice and info.
I have Equator RMZ4 with 400 miles and it also is very vague on center, just like you describe. I originally thought it was the 40+ pounds of air they had in tires - lowered to 35 and although not as bad, still noticable. I am now guessing a bad tire, BFG Rugged Trail. I think you have Long Trails on yours so not just the tire characteristics. Please post here what you find out. I live 100 miles from dealership so will be awhile before I get mine in. I did notice today, driving on newly chip sealed highway, it felt alot better. The feel and constant steering is just not right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vague steering

I took my truck back to the dealership this week along with Brutal's reply. Once again, they tried the old "they all steer like that". I told them that was b/s and then they asked me to test drive another Frontier. It steered a little better than mine. The tech then told me that the trucks don't come from the factory with the eccentrics and that he could install them but could not do as Brutal suggested because the truck was under warranty. The truck does steer a little better but it isn't as good as it can be. At least the eccentrics are there so that my trusted alignment shop can get it straight. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well I still feel thats BS, since the factory doesnt get it right the 1st, or 2nd or... time. Otherwise they wouldn't need to provide a warranty or have tech service bulletins and recalls to fix things they thought would be right the first time and weren't. Another reason why factories have EPQR's (early products warning quality reports, in Jag, and Land Rover speak) These are reports that go directly to product investigations and engineering. These are what drive TSB's and recalls. And you know who does them? Techs that work on the vehicle. Its our job to fix an issue, not just blindly do the same thing time after time expecting a different result.(definition of insanity) This 6 years ago is what I filled out and worked with Jag tech support to change alignment specs for Stype Jags. The tires were getting chewed up inside, and we were putting on tires and doing the same alignment the factory spec'd. Well the tires tell the story, so I did a EPQR changed the toe in spec I was using on the alignment to give more toe in. And it fixed the problem, so they issued a TSB and changed the factory toe spec for an alignment. So in short their statement on " its under warranty so I cant do that" is again total BS. But at least now you have eccentrics, and can have the alignment changed somewhere else by someone that will understand the suspension and how its works, changing it to give you what you want rather than just trying to let a machine tell them what to do...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Thanks for the info guys - I will post if I find any solution to mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts