Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm hoping for a bit more towing power as I'll be semi-regularly climbing some mountains. I've got a 2003 Frontier, 2wd, 4cyl, manual. I'm thinking that pulling 2800lbs frequently over mountains is just going to kill the engine or transmission. I know I'm rated for 3000lbs. Reading some of the other posts it seems like the truck would do great on the flats but that they get bogged down with hills and have a lot of strain put on them at that point.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has dropped a 6cyl into their originally 4cyl Frontier. Can it be done? Is it cost effective? What other things beside a 6cyl would I need to replace (axle, transmission, etc.) to take advantage of the 6cyl's increased towing capacity?

Thanks all!

Forgot to mention, I have searched the forum looking for information about this and haven't come up with anything. Searched for "engine swap." It didn't like "v6" because it was less than the 3 character minimum.

Perhaps finding nothing on it is indicative of the ridiculousness of the idea. Just trade it in and get a V6?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
your best bet is to trade it in on a v6. you can snag a first gen v6 for around 7k dollars now, you could even get the superchargered engine for cheap too. 2nd gens are dropping in price and that vq40 is a good engine. or you could keep your 4 cylinder and buy a well priced v8 fullsize, nothing too fancy. ball is in your court i just think it would be cheaper to either get a v6 frontier or an older v8 full size then to just swap a v6 in your current frontier.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wouldn't be worth the time or money at all. Even the 3.3 V6 that was in my 99 Frontier didn't tow my trailer (2500-2800lbs) very well at all.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I agree with everyone else. A swap for an OEM engine isn't worth it since they didn't put out too much power nor did they get really good MPG. If you are set on a swap thou, it may be nice to do a custom engine build and drop that in. That way it is not a stock motor and will be a nice project for you to tackle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
by the time your done with that you'll be better off buying another truck, if you plan to pull a lot step up to the plate and slap down 48K and buy a diesel you'll never look back especially with 4x4 cc.. i get 16mpg all day long with no mods, 18 + on the highway.. and i can pull my house down no problem........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey mustard23 where did you get those fenders? they are sweet looking i've been looking for them for quiet a while now lol

·
Registered
690 Posts
by the time your done with that you'll be better off buying another truck, if you plan to pull a lot step up to the plate and slap down 48K and buy a diesel you'll never look back especially with 4x4 cc.. i get 16mpg all day long with no mods, 18 + on the highway.. and i can pull my house down no problem........
That's the truth too. Once you tow something with a diesel you will never want to drive a gas truck again. Hook up and go, never even know it's back there.

However, an 05+ Frontier can be found in a decent price range and can tow 3000lbs pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the unanimous "wouldn't try it." I don't think I will. Not at a place to get into a new truck at the moment. Once I'm there I'll probably go for a used diesel. I'm finding them in them 7-8K range.

As for still towing with what I've got I'm going to reduce the weight I'm towing. Get down to 2000lbs rather than pushing the max capacity. It's the difference between a 17-19' boat and a 14' boat. I would imagine the truck should handle that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts