Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey men and women of this fine forum, I've been having some trouble with my 3.3, I dropped the oil pan because I was told I have a leak in the gasket, I ordered the gasket sealant from my store (NAPA), removed the old RTV and washed the oil pan in a parts washer. I go to put the oil pan back up and now I can't for the life of me, get the holes to line up.
Ive tried fitting new rubber gaskets and using different sequences, Dropped the pan in the winter and now its getting to spring, am I just being dumb or is there something I needed to try? Im studying Automotive but, this engine just ain't it chief.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Have you check the factory service manual? There might be something you forgot. I have been told that they are tricky but never done the job myself. I paid someone to do mine. If you need a link for the manual:

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Just to make sure you know, the lip seals are supposed to be applied to the engine block first and then the pan is installed (as opposed to installing the seals on the pan and then installing the pan). If there is an inspection plate on the bottom of the bellhousing, that should have been removed prior to removing the pan and installed after installing it. To help line up the hole, get some 6Mx1.0 threaded rod or long 6Mx1.0 bolts. Install the long bolts a few turns and cut the heads off, or, thread in some pieces of the threaded rod into holes in the block, to use as alignment aids for the pan. They will help you line up the pan to the bolt holes so you can just push it up, get a few bolts started and then just take out the threaded rods and replace with pan bolts.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I've only done oil pan gasket on the 2.4l engine. But I want to chime in that for my 1988 Mazda truck, the factory service manual states to only use Permatex Ultra Grey on its oil pan - no gasket. So has anyone here done that?

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
The Nissan VG engine uses RTV sealant instead of a gasket, but it uses neoprene lip seals at the front and rear of the pan. The FSM just says to use genuine Nissan RTV sealant...but Ultra Grey will work just as well. In fact, they used gray RTV from the factory but the genuine Nissan RTV that was available to the dealers was red. I always liked the grey better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you check the factory service manual? There might be something you forgot. I have been told that they are tricky but never done the job myself. I paid someone to do mine. If you need a link for the manual:

Consulting it, thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Nissan VG engine uses RTV sealant instead of a gasket, but it uses neoprene lip seals at the front and rear of the pan. The FSM just says to use genuine Nissan RTV sealant...but Ultra Grey will work just as well. In fact, they used gray RTV from the factory but the genuine Nissan RTV that was available to the dealers was red. I always liked the grey better.
Picked up some bolts yesterday from my store, going to try to line them up that way soon, I've got you with the RTV. AISIN makes a RTV that came up as recommended in our system that I used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts