Nissan Frontier Forum banner

V6 Interior engine Noise Help on new frontier 4.0l

15K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Greg40 
#1 ·
This will be a noise that is hard to explain.
I believe it is normal for this vehicle but was hoping for some help.
When engine is warm at idle in drive or in park. Windows up radio off and heater or ac totally off.
I am hearing a very very mild tapping sound inside the truck that appears to be coming through the firewall. I really have to struggle to hear it but it's there it's a new truck and of course the dealer will say it's normal.
Can you guys tell me if you hear any engine or exhaust noise at all with windows rolled up not near any traffic etc. With radio and blower motor of?
You Must hear something. I am hearing what sounds like a distant muffled very mild tapping sound.
I build race car motors and do a ton of mechanical work. Just want to be sure this is normal for this truck. Best I can tell with a stethoscope is it is a sound coming from the exhaust.
Please describe what you hear.
Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks. I agree they do have a lot of vibration. This very very mild noise I am hearing gets faster if your bring the rpms up a little to say 1000. So I would say it is not from a vibration. Just hoping others can check there's and chime in saying yes there is a slight tapping clicking noise at idle when the radio a d blower motor is off. Could be an injector etc. Just seems to need more sound deadening.
So if anyone can check that I would appreciate it.
Thanks

#4 ·
For my sanity I contacted my salesman.I he said to bring it into the service department.I told him I was positive they would say normal noise and honestly inside of a service department your not going to hear this noise, He checked with Service they said its most likely the injectors.
Luckily I have an awesome salesman,I asked If I could come out and listen to the frontier that he let me originally take for a day to see if I liked it before I bought it.I fell in love with the way the truck drove in the first five minutes.
Anyhow He could not hear the noise I could easily hear the same noise in the passenger seat.It was a little quiter in the driver seat but still the same noise and same frequency.
At least I know its there on a new one sitting on the lot as well. As I mentioned its very very quiet I honestly think most people cannot hear it. I am cursed with better than normal hearing but I am getting older now so hopefully that will go away a little lol. Thanks again and if anyone else happens to hear that let me know . Now on to dreaming of what mods I can and cannot afford lol.

#5 ·
Well, I know on mine: @ startup there is a few moments of valve tick as oil pressure pumps up. Then I can hear a slight tick that I can 'tune out' with my BullyDog by either advancing timing or increasing rpm idle speed. not sure if its valvetrain/timing or if its exhaust side noise, but its there. Ive read others (in hte BDGT threads) they also hear the 'timing tick' and they get better performance by advancing 2deg with the bullydog. I've played with both, and they reduce the vibration and hte noise, but I don't worry too much about the noise. the GOOD dealer near me, they showed me a customer's truck ('08) that was in for work (head gasket) and there was very little wear in the cylinders or cam lobes. mileage was high and owner did Blackstone labs sample every ~40k

#6 ·
Mtyler
Thanks for confirming that the timing tick or whatever is causing the noise is there at idle. I have no doubt it's there on most if not all of these frontiers with the v6. Just very hard to hear at times.
The timing being part of this issue makes sense.
I listened quickly yesterday again and it really sounds as if it is the same noise that I hear under the truck in the rear drivers side cat. So timing makes sense.
While under the dash looking around I found that a dime sized plastic body plug was not installed from the factory the hole can be seen by opening the driver side door and looking by the hinge.
As far as the bully dog tuner goes I assume that if they dealer wanted to they can detect it has been used and void the warranty if they want to?
I am very familiar with the sct tuners on the mustangs and I know they leave a trail that the dealers. Can detect is thay the same with the bully dog? Thanks again for. Confirming the noise is there.

#13 ·
The bullydog and those types of tuners DO NOT reflash the ECM. They take the signal from the ECM and modifies it downstream to the component. They DO NOT leave a "trail". And even if they did, Nissan can not void your warranty for using the product unless it is directly responsible for said failure. Check out the Mangusson-Moss act. It states clearly what a dealer has to do to deny coverage. FWIW, I hear the same noise on mine.

#16 ·
Are you certain about that? because the tune works whether the display unit is plugged in or not. Same with Superchips. It doesn't even display anything when the truck is running. You just plug it in, update, and unplug. BD can be done the same way, they're just trying to justify to you why you should pay $300 for each licence & display head, when you can get something like Torque on your cellphone and a $30 thingy that plugs into your OBDII.

#7 ·
i have a ticking as well. I knew it was a valve noise and i tried to quiet it with Lucas, thicker oil, ext. it doesn't go away. It is just a part of the motor. as far as the tuner yes. no matter where or what you do. as long as you mess with the computer it can be seen by the dealer. that being said if you return it back to stock when you go 9/10 times you won't have an issue unless they have to look into your computer for something specific cause you have a prolonged issue or a specific issue with the motor that they can not solve.

#8 ·
I figured I would bring this back up. We have been getting some colder mornings low 30,s.
Odd thing is that the tick I can slightly hear with windows up and in drive seems to be a little louder now when it is warmed up than a month ago. Probably since the electric coolant fan is not running. I listened to the injectors with my mechanics stethoscope. They are very loud as everyone says
The frequency of them seems to match the only engine related noise I can hear in the cab at idle and that is the mild ticking / tapping.

I made a quick video recording of the interior noise at idle in drive. I will try to upload the link. If anyone else can do me a huge favor and record with there phone and post it up I would appreciate it.
I am betting most newer phones will pick this noise up.
Thanks in advance

#9 · (Edited)
Here is a quick sound clip of course it does not sound exactly like this but it is definentley louder when I put the phone down near the steering column.
Sounds worse on the video than it does by ear. I am Assuming the phone can hear better than me lol

https://youtu.be/xhXGPbZjYoI

here is the same sound when the phone is up near the speedometer. you will have to turn the speakers up to hear it.
https://youtu.be/UiogC_FEdZk

#14 ·
If the phone clip is an accurate recording of what you hear (phones are notorious for not capturing what we Actually hear) I wouldn't sweat it. Yours is softer than mine. If it lasts only a short time (30 sec when cold) and then subsides, its just the engine getting the oil everywhere & then just injector noise. I was honestly a little spooked when I first got the truck for similar reasons. Even though my other car ('04 Hyundai since new) is injected it isn't as loud with the injectors and the old truck was carb'd so when I could hear a tap, I knew it was time to run a can of motor flush in the engine. Incidentally I had spoken to the dealer when I first got it and asked about oil pressure, so they hooked up a mechanical guage, started it from cold, took ~10 sec to come up to idle pressure (IIRC 20lb) and part throttle was plenty (IIRC >45lb)

#10 ·
I can say, having worked as a mechanic for 18 years, that I've had people
that are used to carburated engines spooked by the tap of fuel injectors
over and over. They associate the sound with bad lifters.

Could that be what you're doing? If you're trying that hard to hear it...
it might be. You might get a stethoscope and see if the sound you hear
might be the same.

#11 ·
Little bull. That appears to be what I am hearing is the fuel injectors. Oddly enough the front left cat. Appears to be what I am hearing possibly. Simply the exhaust through the converter. Kind od like hearing a set of headers but only one tube.
I have been rebuilding cars. Carburetors. And build and tune high performance engines.
So yes I am probably so use to the carbureted engines I am hearing the injectors.
Just hoping someone else can take a quick recording with their phone near the steering column to see if it's there as well.

#12 · (Edited)
bigjacksauto I cant hear anything in your 4 sec video, beside a engine barely making any noise and if anything it's purring. Get a CAI and a catback and you'll hear a lot more stuff.

I have a CAI and catback and I can't hear anything in my video, I do have high frequency hearing loss. If I wear my hearing aids while driving I do hear all sort of stuff. But my truck is 11yrs old and I've been working on cars 20 some years.

https://youtu.be/UHprq5GZgFc

#15 ·
Littlebull, he said in post #8 he used a mechanics stethoscope listening to the injector tapping.

bigjacksauto I cant hear anything in your 4 sec video, beside a engine barely making any noise and if anything it's purring. Get a CAI and a catback and you'll hear a lot more stuff.

I have a CAI and catback and I can't hear anything in my video, I do have high frequency hearing loss. If I wear my hearing aids while driving I do hear all sort of stuff. But my truck is 11yrs old and I've been working on cars 20 some years.

https://youtu.be/UHprq5GZgFc
Blue devil thanks for the video I hear my noise when it's in drive not so much when it is in park or neutral

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Good to hear that I am not the only one hearing this ticking rapping noise at idle
Blue devil. We are not going around listening under the dash. First I heard a noise that sounds like a bad motor. So then I started listening.
I build motors and tune high performance cars.
So I am always listening no matter what car I am working on or driving in.
I am just looking to confirm that this is a noise that is there on others.
At this point my guess is that it is an injector noise or even the the exhaust noise in the thin walled catalytic converter. If Nissan put a little more sound deadening on the firewall I would not hear it. Or a little less and I would be hearing more than just one of the louder ticks.

Thanks again for all of your input on this
If anyone could post. Up another YouTube video of the sound that would be great.
My phone is a note 4 and it picks up the sound very well.
Guessing that all frontiers do this.
I am sure this post will help others in the future.
Great truck except for gas mileage. And of course the tick at idle lol

#19 ·
What are you guys doing under the steering wheel? No really all joking aside, I can't figure out how or what to ask? There's no engine light, there isn't a problem, stop sweating unfamiliar engine noises.

#21 ·
I will try and get video up today. I wasn't going around trying to listen. It actually just started happening. I will post video later today Big Dog. The sound bugs the crap outta me. I got appointment for Thursday at dealer they will probably tell me to leave. Thing is door must be closed for me to hear it but at times I swear I'm driving a small diesel.

#26 ·
My noise was not there until around 1000 miles now it has 3000 miles.
I did go back at around 1000 miles started up a new one and the same noise was there.
Dealer told me injectors. Although they said they really did not hear any noise other than the noisy 4.0 engine.
I am guessing like others

• Timing will effect the exhaust note
    Thin walled converter
    Injectors

Let us know how you make out at the dealership.
    Anyone else. Out there willing to post up a video of there truck interior noise?:surprise:
    Warmed up in drive
    Windows up ac fan off and radio off
    Sounding more and more like dynamat is the only answer. Or louder exhaust::grin::

#27 ·
Okay finally found something that makes at least a little sense as to what this noise in the interior is seems the fuel supply line from the gas tank up to the injector rail has the same frequency and same noise almost all the way through out but it is louder at the injector rail this supply line is voltage to the firewall although it appears to be insulated probably not insulated as well and or isolated I should say as well as some others maybe the noise more than likely

#29 ·
Finally Found Where the noise is coming from!!!

::smile::::smile::
Well as I mentioned in a previous post I found that the noise I have been hearing in my interior which is a tapping/ ticking noise seemed to be coming from the fuel supply line.
I noticed with My mechanics stethascope that the noise could be heard from the inside by touching the firewall.
I followed the fuel line down from the injector rail passenger side and sure enough it goes behind a steel cover that is bolted to the firewall.It is insulated by 4 rubber busings but only two of the 4 are actually bolted to the firewall.
I disconnected both nuts and pulled off both washers that also go inside the rubber then touch the firewall.
Sure enough the noise is gone.
Put them back on noise is back .Tried back and forth a couple of times that was it.
I will try an post up some more pictures later these are the nuts and washers in question .
Hope this helps others now and in the future to finally know what this noise is coming from.

#31 ·
::smile::::smile::
Well as I mentioned in a previous post I found that the noise I have been hearing in my interior which is a tapping/ ticking noise seemed to be coming from the fuel supply line.
I noticed with My mechanics stethascope that the noise could be heard from the inside by touching the firewall.
I followed the fuel line down from the injector rail passenger side and sure enough it goes behind a steel cover that is bolted to the firewall.It is insulated by 4 rubber busings but only two of the 4 are actually bolted to the firewall.
I disconnected both nuts and pulled off both washers that also go inside the rubber then touch the firewall.
Sure enough the noise is gone.
Put them back on noise is back .Tried back and forth a couple of times that was it.
I will try an post up some more pictures later these are the nuts and washers in question .
Hope this helps others now and in the future to finally know what this noise is coming from.

What all do I have to remove to get to this?

#32 · (Edited)
Greg 40 if it's the same exact Sound tapping ticking that I am hearing. You can try this to see if the noise goes away. I was able. To drive both front wheels up on some boards just to get it about 3“higher then if you look up and follow back where the fuel. Line goes back to the firewall and drops down to the frame rail you will see a metal cover over the fuel lines attached to the bottom Of the firewall driver side. There are four rubber grommets to the fire wall but only two. Are actually bolted to the firewall. If you take off the two nuts then pull the two washers off that actually go into the two diagonal grommets. I am betting the noise will be gone. Once you take these off with a 10 mm ratcheting wrench and 1/4"dr 10 mm socket. You will be able to put them on and off in 5 to 10 minutes. At least this way you can test to see if the noise goes away. Mine did. I can't however recommend to keep these nuts off even though I doubt you would have a problem you never know.if they had just isolated the lines to the metal or to the firewall better this woukd not be an issue. Just glad. To know it is not the engine ticking.

#33 ·
You are a genius. I took truck to dealer today. They messed with it for hour. Brought it out front and said it's just sound of engine coming thru cabin. I showed them what u said do. They did it. And no more sound. They said they were gonna address the problem with nissan and try to find some nylon washers or something. But you know that bracket wouldn't budge with the nuts and washers off. Maybe going down the road eventually it would. Thank you very much. How come we got lucky with the only 3 frontiers that have this problem? Thank you very much for the help

#36 ·
Oh man, BigJacksAuto! Thank you and welcome to the Cursed with Hearing Engine Noises club! I just bought a new 2016 Frontier with the V-6 about two weeks ago and the first time I ever drove it, I took it right back to dealer for that exact same noise. I too did the stethoscope thing and traced it to the cats. From there, I was at a loss, but this thread helps a whole lot! That noise is definitely there and it was on mine with 22 miles on the odometer. So, if nothing else, I am glad this is "normal" if a little unnerving. My last new vehicle purchase was in 2003 and I still have it and it drives like new with 265k miles and tons and tons of maintenance and TLC and I am hoping for at least 300k out of this Frontier, so noises on day one are, well, terrifying. lol. Thanks again for giving me a little peace with your thread, BigJack!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.