Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will try and get video up today. I wasn't going around trying to listen. It actually just started happening. I will post video later today Big Dog. The sound bugs the crap outta me. I got appointment for Thursday at dealer they will probably tell me to leave. Thing is door must be closed for me to hear it but at times I swear I'm driving a small diesel.

·
Registered
741 Posts
VIAS valve in the intake manifold tapping like crazy? It's pretty harmless and pretty common.

The bullydog and those types of tuners DO NOT reflash the ECM. They take the signal from the ECM and modifies it downstream to the component. They DO NOT leave a "trail". And even if they did, Nissan can not void your warranty for using the product unless it is directly responsible for said failure. Check out the Mangusson-Moss act. It states clearly what a dealer has to do to deny coverage. FWIW, I hear the same noise on mine.
Who told you this? It is very much incorrect. While it is a minor reflash, it *is* a reflash. At least, for the BD it is...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My phone won't pick it up like yours. But that is exact same sound. Are you going to take yours to dealer? Mine does it worse when the weather was cooler the other day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went to dealer today and cranked up 2 new ones. They don't sound like that and mine only has 2900 miles. Got appointment for Thursday.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I went to dealer today and cranked up 2 new ones. They don't sound like that and mine only has 2900 miles. Got appointment for Thursday.

My noise was not there until around 1000 miles now it has 3000 miles.
I did go back at around 1000 miles started up a new one and the same noise was there.
Dealer told me injectors. Although they said they really did not hear any noise other than the noisy 4.0 engine.
I am guessing like others

• Timing will effect the exhaust note
    Thin walled converter
    Injectors

Let us know how you make out at the dealership.
    Anyone else. Out there willing to post up a video of there truck interior noise?:surprise:
    Warmed up in drive
    Windows up ac fan off and radio off
    Sounding more and more like dynamat is the only answer. Or louder exhaust::grin::

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Okay finally found something that makes at least a little sense as to what this noise in the interior is seems the fuel supply line from the gas tank up to the injector rail has the same frequency and same noise almost all the way through out but it is louder at the injector rail this supply line is voltage to the firewall although it appears to be insulated probably not insulated as well and or isolated I should say as well as some others maybe the noise more than likely

·
Registered
11 Posts
Idk...all I know us when the weather was colder the other day it was even louder. I can handle the sound at 80 degrees outside. But when I was in the 40s the other day it was twice as loud. I guess I will take it and they won't know then I drive the darn thing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Finally Found Where the noise is coming from!!!

::smile::::smile::
Well as I mentioned in a previous post I found that the noise I have been hearing in my interior which is a tapping/ ticking noise seemed to be coming from the fuel supply line.
I noticed with My mechanics stethascope that the noise could be heard from the inside by touching the firewall.
I followed the fuel line down from the injector rail passenger side and sure enough it goes behind a steel cover that is bolted to the firewall.It is insulated by 4 rubber busings but only two of the 4 are actually bolted to the firewall.
I disconnected both nuts and pulled off both washers that also go inside the rubber then touch the firewall.
Sure enough the noise is gone.
Put them back on noise is back .Tried back and forth a couple of times that was it.
I will try an post up some more pictures later these are the nuts and washers in question .
Hope this helps others now and in the future to finally know what this noise is coming from.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would appreciate if you take some pictures. Mine sure sounds like the engine though. Did you leave nuts disconnected?

·
Registered
11 Posts
::smile::::smile::
Well as I mentioned in a previous post I found that the noise I have been hearing in my interior which is a tapping/ ticking noise seemed to be coming from the fuel supply line.
I noticed with My mechanics stethascope that the noise could be heard from the inside by touching the firewall.
I followed the fuel line down from the injector rail passenger side and sure enough it goes behind a steel cover that is bolted to the firewall.It is insulated by 4 rubber busings but only two of the 4 are actually bolted to the firewall.
I disconnected both nuts and pulled off both washers that also go inside the rubber then touch the firewall.
Sure enough the noise is gone.
Put them back on noise is back .Tried back and forth a couple of times that was it.
I will try an post up some more pictures later these are the nuts and washers in question .
Hope this helps others now and in the future to finally know what this noise is coming from.

What all do I have to remove to get to this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Greg 40 if it's the same exact Sound tapping ticking that I am hearing. You can try this to see if the noise goes away. I was able. To drive both front wheels up on some boards just to get it about 3“higher then if you look up and follow back where the fuel. Line goes back to the firewall and drops down to the frame rail you will see a metal cover over the fuel lines attached to the bottom Of the firewall driver side. There are four rubber grommets to the fire wall but only two. Are actually bolted to the firewall. If you take off the two nuts then pull the two washers off that actually go into the two diagonal grommets. I am betting the noise will be gone. Once you take these off with a 10 mm ratcheting wrench and 1/4"dr 10 mm socket. You will be able to put them on and off in 5 to 10 minutes. At least this way you can test to see if the noise goes away. Mine did. I can't however recommend to keep these nuts off even though I doubt you would have a problem you never know.if they had just isolated the lines to the metal or to the firewall better this woukd not be an issue. Just glad. To know it is not the engine ticking.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greg 40 if it's the same exact Sound tapping ticking that I am hearing. You can try this to see if the noise goes away. I was able. To drive both front wheels up on some boards just to get it about 3“higher then if you look up and follow back where the fuel. Line goes back to the firewall and drops down to the frame rail you will see a metal cover over the fuel lines attached to the bottom Of the firewall driver side. There are four rubber grommets to the fire wall but only two. Are actually bolted to the firewall. If you take off the two nuts then pull the two washers off that actually go into the two diagonal grommets. I am betting the noise will be gone. Once you take these off with a 10 mm ratcheting wrench and 1/4"dr 10 mm socket. You will be able to put them on and off in 5 to 10 minutes. At least this way you can test to see if the noise goes away. Mine did. I can't however recommend to keep these nuts off even though I doubt you would have a problem you never know.if they had just isolated the lines to the metal or to the firewall better this woukd not be an issue. Just glad. To know it is not the engine ticking.

You are a genius. I took truck to dealer today. They messed with it for hour. Brought it out front and said it's just sound of engine coming thru cabin. I showed them what u said do. They did it. And no more sound. They said they were gonna address the problem with nissan and try to find some nylon washers or something. But you know that bracket wouldn't budge with the nuts and washers off. Maybe going down the road eventually it would. Thank you very much. How come we got lucky with the only 3 frontiers that have this problem? Thank you very much for the help

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You are a genius. I took truck to dealer today. They messed with it for hour. Brought it out front and said it's just sound of engine coming thru cabin. I showed them what u said do. They did it. And no more sound. They said they were gonna address the problem with nissan and try to find some nylon washers or something. But you know that bracket wouldn't budge with the nuts and washers off. Maybe going down the road eventually it would. Thank you very much. How come we got lucky with the only 3 frontiers that have this problem? Thank you very much for the help
That's great to hear::grin:: glad I could help.
I have to admit that sound hand me worried as in the motor was going bad and it sounded to me like it would not be a major problem until after the warranty.
I am sure you where as happy as I was when you started it up with the nuts and washers off and the sound was gone::grin::
I agree that shield is going no where it's still held in there with the studs. I was thinking the same. Myself either nylon nuts or steel nuts with the nylon insert put on just enough to be on there but not enough to put pressure on the rubber washers to push against the firewall. Or loctite on the stock nuts just enough to be there to hold outward pressure.
I am guessing the sound is louder on these trucks when it's colder due to the rubber getting harder and therefore transmitting more noise.
I am sure there are a lot more of these making that same noise. Honestly that noise is quite I just found out compared to what Tacoma owners listen to. I just drove in one and It sounded like I was looking under the hood.
Let us know if the dealer comes up with anything or if Nissan puts up a tsb. My dealers answer to the sound was they all sound that way and they get worse as it gets colder out.
Hope you are finally enjoying your truck Like I am now without that noise.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh man, BigJacksAuto! Thank you and welcome to the Cursed with Hearing Engine Noises club! I just bought a new 2016 Frontier with the V-6 about two weeks ago and the first time I ever drove it, I took it right back to dealer for that exact same noise. I too did the stethoscope thing and traced it to the cats. From there, I was at a loss, but this thread helps a whole lot! That noise is definitely there and it was on mine with 22 miles on the odometer. So, if nothing else, I am glad this is "normal" if a little unnerving. My last new vehicle purchase was in 2003 and I still have it and it drives like new with 265k miles and tons and tons of maintenance and TLC and I am hoping for at least 300k out of this Frontier, so noises on day one are, well, terrifying. lol. Thanks again for giving me a little peace with your thread, BigJack!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Solution take nuts and washers off then put just nuts with nylon I Serta tighten lightly noise gone?
I have had dealer put all new bracket and all on. Noise still there. I'm calling Nissan Consumer Affairs because even the dealer says they can't fix it. They said they wouldn't do nothing until dealer exausted all options. They have so Nissan is gonna hear me. I'm not paying that high of payments for this mess

21 - 38 of 38 Posts