Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I want to put a truck body on my Frontier. I was all set to trade up to a 2500 HD GM truck to be able to get the box I wanted for my business, then as fuel prices have taken a sharp increase and the fact the 6.0L GM trucks barely break double digits for mpg, I decided to look into this Chevy Colorado.

Problem is the Colorado rode & drove like garbage, the trans is junk and feels like it's going to fall out of the truck, the interior looks and feels like something out of the 80's but I love the work box! I called the company that makes the box on the back and asked if they could put one on my Frontier. I was informed they can't on any foreign truck?? Reason being because of liability, the foreign truck companies apparently have not crash tested their trucks as a cab/ chassis so therefore the truck body company won't install one on my Frontier. I asked if they would just sell me the box and shipped it to my shop? they said yes. My question is... if the box fits a Colorado, shouldn't it just drop right onto my Frontier chassis? Or would it turn into a big custom job to fabricate brackets and such to make it work with a Frontier?

Off the cuff I know I would need to rig up a longer fuel filler neck assy (Possibly Titan part???) but would everything else should just just bolt up right? I really need one of these boxes for my work, and don't want to have to buy a GM or Ford just to get it so any help appreciated. Also much could I reasonably expect to sell my mint condition 6ft oem Frontier box for? It's white, no dents or scratches, factory sprayed in liner, utilitrack with it etc.. just trying to get an idea on what a take off box is worth?? Not ready to sell it yet until I've done all my homework.

Also I know it will make my Frontier look ugly, but my truck is used 99% time for work, so function is needed above form in my case.

Heres what I want on my Frontier...

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
that would be a HUGE PITA. nothing is going to line up. i doubt the wheel arches will line up, then theres the mounting holes. depending on how it fits on the frame of the colorado the frame for the frontier is WAY different. you would be better off having a wielding shop or someone make you a flat bed and build work boxes on it. the AU guys have some nice flat beds for there Navara to give you an idea.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
They have them in AU.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well damn, I wonder whats involved in shipping this to the states. That first one and the bottom example would certainly work for me.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Since you are a CC LB you would probably need to use the one for the KC or the last one. Your best bet is to call/email the company and see what they say. Also make sure you have your measurements from the rear of your cab to the center of the wheel arch to make sure its in the correct location for you. Shipping would suck thou since it is heavy but it may be cheaper to go thru AUS then to have it custom made in the US.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What about the Titan? You might be able to find something for that truck, being full-sized and all, and if you use it all the time for work that's the way I would go. Fronty is great for multi-purpose use, but for work only it seems it would wear out pretty quick. JMO tho, good luck, post results when it's all done.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts

·
Banned
6,781 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
They have them here, I saw a couple on a lot. Of course I am commuting the other direction right now, so I can't help you out with a brand name.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about the Titan? You might be able to find something for that truck, being full-sized and all, and if you use it all the time for work that's the way I would go. Fronty is great for multi-purpose use, but for work only it seems it would wear out pretty quick. JMO tho, good luck, post results when it's all done.
That's one of my issues, I don't want the mpg impact of a full-sized. The Titan is the biggest fuel consumer, worse or equal to a 2500 HD w/ 6.0. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though our Frontiers were made from the same hardware as the Titan, the only limiting factor being the hp difference between the VQ & VK?

I would think a Frontier could haul just as much, or work as hard all day as a Titan? I've used my Gen II as a work horse since day one, never broke it in easy like most of you do. It's been hauling, pulling and working tough for the last 38K miles and has only blown through the left & right motor mounts, a horn assy and a tire pressure monitor. The horn was my fault crossed a creek where the water got high enough to short the horn out. In contrast I completely wore out a Dodge Ram by 36K miles that I didn't drive nearly as hard as my Frontier.

Last couple of years have been good business wise so the Fronty has needed to haul more, get to job sites quicker than usual etc.. now I'm just looking for a more useful tool box and don't want to have to "down grade" to a domestic to get a truck I can put a utility box on. IMO the foreign manufactures specifically Nissan & Toyota are missing out on a big segment in the industry. Heck Toyota sold one ton mini-trucks in the 80's & 90's in cab/ chassis or with service bodies or dual rear wheels. Now they don't and those trucks today are worth their weigh in gold.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Contact your local Truck Equipment Dealer. They will do everything for you, remove your bed, and install your new box.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's one of my issues, I don't want the mpg impact of a full-sized. The Titan is the biggest fuel consumer, worse or equal to a 2500 HD w/ 6.0. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though our Frontiers were made from the same hardware as the Titan, the only limiting factor being the hp difference between the VQ & VK?

I would think a Frontier could haul just as much, or work as hard all day as a Titan? I've used my Gen II as a work horse since day one, never broke it in easy like most of you do. It's been hauling, pulling and working tough for the last 38K miles and has only blown through the left & right motor mounts, a horn assy and a tire pressure monitor. The horn was my fault crossed a creek where the water got high enough to short the horn out. In contrast I completely wore out a Dodge Ram by 36K miles that I didn't drive nearly as hard as my Frontier.

Last couple of years have been good business wise so the Fronty has needed to haul more, get to job sites quicker than usual etc.. now I'm just looking for a more useful tool box and don't want to have to "down grade" to a domestic to get a truck I can put a utility box on. IMO the foreign manufactures specifically Nissan & Toyota are missing out on a big segment in the industry. Heck Toyota sold one ton mini-trucks in the 80's & 90's in cab/ chassis or with service bodies or dual rear wheels. Now they don't and those trucks today are worth their weigh in gold.
I feel that. I love my Fronty and use it a lot as my daily worker. It does have the same frame as the Titan but payload isn't the same. Do you do independant contracting? I'm in the union so I don't usually have to haul tons of materials, only for side jobs.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts

hate to tell you but adding a utility body to a frontier is going to kill your MPG's no matter what. your adding more weight, a LOT more weight. some of the hardware is shared but only some.

dont know where you got that but a mid sized truck will NOT do what a full sized one will. at 38k miles you shoundnt have had to replace a motor mount, much less 2. that right there should show you something.

no there not. if they were missing out on something do you think they would have stopped selling utility trucks? there is a reason they discontinued them, they didnt sell well enough.

I feel that. I love my Fronty and use it a lot as my daily worker. It does have the same frame as the Titan but payload isn't the same. Do you do independant contracting? I'm in the union so I don't usually have to haul tons of materials, only for side jobs.
the frame isnt 100% the same. the frontier frame is shorter and the rails are closer together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts