Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, today I decided to wing it with installing a rod holder/rack on the Utilitrak system of my frontier. After two trips to the hardware store and some minor drilling on the rod rack I was successful. Some of the other guides I saw included hardware you will most likely not be able to find offline.

The hardware required was:
2x 1/4" diameter 2 1/2" length bolts
4x 1/4" hole fender washers (a washer that will fit inside the Utilitrak)
2x 1/4" diameter thumb nuts or any other nuts

The only reason I had to do some minor drilling is because the rod rack was originally designed to be screwed into a boat with a 3/16" diameter screw, the smallest hardware stores go is 1/4". So I just bored the holes out to 1/4" diameter to fit the bolts. I'll post some pictures to hopefully give you guys some ideas on how it went...

Rod holder.jpg
I picked this up at West Marine for about $30. If you guys can find one for cheaper and possibly with bigger mounting holes it will obviously work out much better.

RACK PIC.jpg
This is just some diagram that I made in like 5 minutes for anyone that is not too savvy with hardware names and all.

image1 (1).jpg
Here's the finished product, by only putting the bolts on the top two mounting holes and leaving the two bottom holes empty it gives the rack a slight angle facing the rear so that when there are rods in the holder they will be at an angle rather than standing straight up. Although it's not like I really had a choice haha.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
lol, last night I was think about doing this, I have MY aftermarket utilitrac (wanna be)
and may do that as a place to hold my rod while i am on the beach but my more horizontal mounts will be used while highway driving

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mind posting a close up pic of how yours are installed? I would prefer mine to be swept down more like that but there's really not any places where I'd have clearance issues except for when I go to the McDonald's drive thru after I don't catch any fish!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts