Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Long story short, I got a 2008 Frontier KC SE 2 days ago, TOTALLY STOKED:laugh: but to make all the $ etc work out, I wasn't able to get the Utilitrack.

After doing some research, it looks like the 2006 and 07 beds are different for a utilitrack vs standard...(with bolts being welded to the underside of the utilitrack truck beds).

I assume that the 2008 beds are the same (i.e. two different beds).

Question I have is this:

1. I've seen that the utilitrack is basically a Unistrut (c strut) design. Has anyone drilled and bolted a unistrut rail directly to their standard bed?

My thoughts are if I used a backing material (aluminum strip), threaded, and bolted the Unistrut to the bed w/backing beneath, it should be pretty dang sturdy (I would use for mounting light items, not heavy stuff).

Does anyone have any experience with this, or heard of anyone doing it?

I'm not too concerned w/drilling my bed up (I'd seal the holes etc), just didn't know the feasability of it, and could use some guidance if anyone has.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
the 3 upper rails are mounted to welded tabs that are only on the beds designed for the track system. several have bought the tracks only to find they couldnt use them. the floor rails should fit without any problems from what i have seen other post on here. as far as drilling into the bed sides i dont know how well that would go. it may be fine if you sandwich the rail but i couldnt swear to that.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I have pics of the tabs behind the tracks on the bedsides that I can post when I get home.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmm, curious......curiosly challanged! I've ordered a piece of unistrut from mcmaster, once it gets here I'll roll over to nissan and compare and see what I might be able to fab...hmmmm....disaster waiting to happen...or total awesomeness!

I'll definitely have to get out a calculater and some graph paper!:)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Hmmmmm, curious......curiosly challanged! I've ordered a piece of unistrut from mcmaster, once it gets here I'll roll over to nissan and compare and see what I might be able to fab...hmmmm....disaster waiting to happen...or total awesomeness!

I'll definitely have to get out a calculater and some graph paper!:)
You know you can buy that at Lowes/Home Depot, right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! I didn't know, I'll go buy some and see what dimensions etc are like and go from there. If I end up putting some bolts etc through I definitely will put up a "how to" and some photos etc.

My father in law and brother in law are both big time car gurus, both are handy with welding etc, so it may not be that impossible of a job.

Now I need to investigate the spray on liner first...

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
Hello,
Long story short, I got a 2008 Frontier KC SE 2 days ago, TOTALLY STOKED:laugh: but to make all the $ etc work out, I wasn't able to get the Utilitrack.

After doing some research, it looks like the 2006 and 07 beds are different for a utilitrack vs standard...(with bolts being welded to the underside of the utilitrack truck beds).

I assume that the 2008 beds are the same (i.e. two different beds).

Question I have is this:

1. I've seen that the utilitrack is basically a Unistrut (c strut) design. Has anyone drilled and bolted a unistrut rail directly to their standard bed?

My thoughts are if I used a backing material (aluminum strip), threaded, and bolted the Unistrut to the bed w/backing beneath, it should be pretty dang sturdy (I would use for mounting light items, not heavy stuff).

Does anyone have any experience with this, or heard of anyone doing it?

I'm not too concerned w/drilling my bed up (I'd seal the holes etc), just didn't know the feasability of it, and could use some guidance if anyone has.
RaginRabbi installed a small strip for his toolbox install.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To me, this is one of the biggest problems Nissan has. Why not offer the track on an SE? You can get it on an SE CC but not KC. What sense does that make?

I want the system so bad, but only for the sliding bed extender or divider. Haven't decided. I could care less about hook points and whatnot. I use my extender as like a mini trunk in my truck. I would like to change the size of that "truck" at times, plus, sometimes when I haul, I have no where to put the bloomin extender. With the sliding, you can put it up against the cab and it is totally out of the way.

I do hope you figure something out. Keep us posted.

ps....Utilitrack is standard on the new Equator.....??!!!!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
To me, this is one of the biggest problems Nissan has. Why not offer the track on an SE? You can get it on an SE CC but not KC. What sense does that make?
It makes good sense because they want to encourage you to "shop up" and get a more expensive model = profits for them.
Sux, but that's biz for ya.

·
Registered
141 Posts
How much is the utilitrack system from nissan? I thought it was standard on frontier although I have seen some without it.
KC it is standard on Nismo and LE.
CC it is standard on all. SE, Nismo, LE.

It is not available at all on the KC models XE or SE.

I understand it is a business decision, but I couldn't justify spending $4k more just for that and the bigger tires. I didn't care about the skid plates, fog lights, locking diff, stereo, or the yucky Nismo fabric. Plus, why offer it on CC SE but not KC. That is what bothers me more than anything. But, nothing I can do about it. lol.

Here is another option you could try protege26. It should do exactly what you want.

E-Z Load Cargo Gate and Bed Extender
Do you have this system or know someone who does? That looks very promising, I just have a few questions. PM me if you can help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Got the unistrut last night (McMaster shipped in 1 day), I'll do some poking around and get back here w/some measurements, thoughts etc.

The rail system discountramps.com looks very similar to my idea as well, and may be cheaper in the end. The only thing I can think of is that the strut i ordered is longer so I could do it custom sized, but theirs is looking like a cheaper option. I wonder what guage thickness their rails are?

Hmmmmmm...should get interesting here.

Found this on the titan side of things....at least its a start!

Utilitrack Parts - Source - Nissan Titan Forums

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Thanks tysoncook.

Cool. I just ordered channel nuts w/spring (3259T54) on page 1498 on the mcmaster-carr website.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I got a stack of them HomeDepo has them in there electrical section. You might have to cut the springs off them to get them to fit.

Thanks for the info! I will need more since I only ordered 1 pack to see what they were like. The spring feature neat cause I'm a lazy ***. I'll cut it down if its still to long to fit at full compression.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts