Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has the Utili-track sliding tool box or better yet a smaller aftermarket tool box for the utilitrack system?

I plan on adding a hard fold up tonneau cover soon, so I don't want a big obnoxious bot that will get in my way. I carry some tools from time to time and I'd like to be able to have a midsized or smaller tool box that works with the Utilitrack system to keep it still, (See the attached hand held toolbox, this is ideal, but only if it works with the Utili-track system). The box on the Nissan website is a little too big for what I do. I travel the north half of Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire and Southern Maine investigating and inspecting damaged vehicles for my employer. Whenever possible I repair them on the spot to mitigate financial losses. I'd like to carry a set of combination wrenches, 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet sets, screw drivers, dykes, pliers and a few other small items etc. I don't need a contractor sized tool box, I don't carry tools in cases, just a smaller one with drawers if possible.

Any tips or aftermarket stuff I don't know about would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Worst case scenario, I might just cut down two anchors and build a rack for a handheld toolbox.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where in the bed do you want to mount it?
I'd like to be able to slide it back toward the tailgate when I'm using it, then forward over the rear axle when in transit.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
I'd like to be able to slide it back toward the tailgate when I'm using it, then forward over the rear axle when in transit.
Will this toolbox clear the wheel well? IOW, is it sliding on just one side rail?
Or, are you wanting a box that slides w/in both side rails while the box itself resides b/tw the two side rails?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think this is an excellent idea of a custom sliding box. My recommendation would be to make a base plate bottom of which had rails that slide on the track. Then you can bolt the box of your choice to the plate. This way you only have to drill 4 or so holes at the bottom of the tool box so you can bolt it to the base plate or a clamping mechanism if you dont want to drill holes for bolts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will this toolbox clear the wheel well? IOW, is it sliding on just one side rail?
Or, are you wanting a box that slides w/in both side rails while the box itself resides b/tw the two side rails?
That depends on what's available. From the few items I've found, I'm likely going to cut, machine then tap two utili-track brackets and build a wooden rack to sit across both bottom rails, then use wood to build a support to bolt a tool box to. I haven't seen what I'm looking for yet, so I may have to make it. If you have any suggestions or boxes in mind please share them, there might be other people looking for tool storage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this is an excellent idea of a custom sliding box. My recommendation would be to make a base plate bottom of which had rails that slide on the track. Then you can bolt the box of your choice to the plate. This way you only have to drill 4 or so holes at the bottom of the tool box so you can bolt it to the base plate or a clamping mechanism if you dont want to drill holes for bolts.
That's pretty much the idea if I can't buy what I want, I may even buy a rattle can spray on bed liner to finish the frame with. If I have to build it, I'm planning on taking two aluminum Nissan brackets, flattening the top via cutting and sanding to remove the loops with enough room to bolt two bolts into each utili-track bracket. I'll probably use a 1x4 or a 1x6 length of wood if I can't find a decent aluminum shelf/bottom support. If I go with wood, I'll support it with whatever fits between the floor of the bed and the board that connects both rails on each side of the aluminum Nissan bracket so that it won't bend with a load on it. I was a mechanic for 10 years before I got into estimating, I'm handy with everything, I did my first place from the floors up, plumbing, switches and outlets, sheet rock, trim etc. I still have all my tools and my bolt box. I have the hardware in my bolt box all I'll need is some wood and a tool box with drawers. Most hand held tool boxes have a device to lock the drawers closed when the top is closed, I'd like to have a ratchet and extension drawer, wrench drawer, hand tool (screw drivers, pliers, dykes, etc) drawer, and put my sockets and misc tools on the top. I might even try to secure a small pancake compressor, an air line that I'll run off a power converter, I already have one, might be 1000w, don't remember.

When I get to this when it gets warm up here, I'll take photos and share when I'm done.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the sliding tool box, my wife got it for me. Its pretty nice to have it set in the track, but if you plan on having a cover on the bed, the factory one isn't the way to go. It sticks up too high. Do you plan to have it mounted on the side tracks, or the ones on the bottom of the bed?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the sliding tool box, my wife got it for me. Its pretty nice to have it set in the track, but if you plan on having a cover on the bed, the factory one isn't the way to go. It sticks up too high. Do you plan to have it mounted on the side tracks, or the ones on the bottom of the bed?
I plan to build my Gerry rigged toolbox on the rails on the bottom of the bed.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've kind of been thinking about getting a box that is just like a storage box, that I can bolt down to the Utilitrack setup on the drivers side and hug the wheel well, or some kind of setup that goes over the wheel well but stays lower than the edge of the bed. When I have the soft cover on it will stay covered, and when I have need to tow one of my motorcycles I still have the ability to use the side rail cleats in front, and the floor cleats on the rear, and then just have the motorcycle shifted to the passenger side of the truck. Then again I guess I could just do a lower box towards the front of the bed and get a trailer for hauling the bikes. I just like the fact that when I have my NT650 or DR650 loaded in the truck I can haul across country and still get 21 mpg most of the time so the trailer things always made me concerned it would kill mpg's, but it would be nice to be able to tow and still have the soft bed cover on and store some gear in the bed without filling up the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am exploring how to add a second smaller box in front of factory tool box for occasional additional storage.

There was discussion a while ago (I of course can't find thread now) about using generic Northern Tool tool box mounts to mount items on Utilitrack
A quick search shows "Better Built Grip Rite Truck Box Mounting Kit - No Drill, Model# 29510402 on eBay, that might work too.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has the Utili-track sliding tool box or better yet a smaller aftermarket tool box for the utilitrack system?
Autoanything runs a sale on Undercover Swing Cases from time to time. You can PM them (one of our sponsors) for the best price (here in FL no tax and free shipping). It is a small, removable box with a minor theft deterrent using a padlock and top lid comes with a lock/key (I use two of them with my spare in the bed).

Another option I had explored for additional storage, but not sure it fits your needs, are portable tool boxes from HD. Agree would get a bed cover.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the sliding box, based off your description it does not meet your requirements. I would just use home made cleats, and drill two holes into the bottom of a box/ toolbox and mount it to the floor rails

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did you ever get around to doing this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts