Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member on this forum (this is just my second post) and would like to say that I'm amazed by the helpfulness of people responding to threads on here. Thanks!

I recently bought a 2013 Frontier with a 6-foot bed so that I could install a camper in the truck bed to avoid having to camp in a tent on the ground all the time. I've ordered a pop-up camper (which I guess some refer to as a 'canopy') similar to the one in the pic below:

_Frontier+PopUpCamper.jpg

While the Utili-track channel system and sliding bed extender that came with the truck are obviously very useful accessories for most people in most circumstances, neither will be of any use to me with a camper sitting in the bed. So I'm considering removing the channels in order to sell them (along with the tie-down cleats, end stops/rail locks, and sliding bed extender) to help defray the cost of the camper I'm buying.

Searching the Classifieds area of this forum, it looks like sliding bed extenders, tie-down cleats, and end stops/rail locks are bought and sold fairly frequently. It also looks like some folks have removed and sold their Utili-track channels (which appear to be harder to source, since Nissan doesn't sell them as accessories).

I read in a prior thread that truck beds that did not come with factory-installed Utili-track channels lack reinforcement plates behind the holes where the channels would bolt on, so people who add Utili-track channels to such beds might consider reinforcing their bed walls or else be careful not to apply too much force to the channels.

I've also read in prior threads that some people have had trouble removing their factory-installed Utili-track channels because the torx-head screws used to attach the channels to the bed have threadlockers that can make it hard to pull the screws out of the bed liner (my truck has a spray-in liner).
I tried to remove a Utili Track side rail today from a 2014 Frontier. I loosened the torx-headed screw as much as possible, but couldn't pull it out. It was loose enough: something was holding it. Has anyone done this and knows about taking it off/putting it back on?
I removed mine because they didn't work with my bed cover. The bolts have a keeper on the back which keeps them from coming all the way out. mine were just stuck to the liner (almost like glued on) so I had to really work to get them off.
I removed a section [of Utili-track channel] on my Titan. There is blue threadlocker on the threads and was a bear to remove them. I had to buy new bolts to reinstall. Make sure you have a good quality torx bit [for] less chance of damaging the hole in the bolt. I ended up needing a vice grip on the bolt head to extract them.
I'm half afraid to remove the torx bolts in case there is a nut on the back that is going to fall off. I'm hoping there is a nut welded on the back of the bed but I can't tell. Anyone know what is there?
I have removed [Utili-track channels] on my 2007, there is no nut, it is a threaded insert and it is captured so no worries of anything dropping.
I'm trying to decide whether it makes sense for me to remove my truck's Utili-track channels before the camper is installed and I lose access to the bed. (The Utili-track channels pose no problem for installing the camper, which will sit on the bed floor and attach via drilled i-bolts.)

Does anyone else have experience removing the Utili-track channels, and is it straightforward and requires nothing more than a torx-head screwdriver and maybe some vice-grip pliers?

Are there any other considerations to think about before removing the channels? For example, could the open holes left in the bed after removing the screws that hold the channels increase the risk of rust or other potential problems?

And perhaps most importantly, any ideas whether there's any demand for the channels and what prices complete Utili-track channel systems have been bought or sold for? I'm trying to gauge whether it's worth the trouble. Of course if I ever removed the camper then the Utili-track system could still be of use to me, so I would only remove it if I could sell it for a decent price. Thanks!

The Utili-track system from my Frontier's 6.1-foot bed would include the following:
- 2 full-length floor channels
- 2 full-length floor channel covers
- 1 full-width front channel
- 4 half-length side channels (2 half-length channels per side)
- 4 tie-down cleats
- 2 end stops/rail locks
- 41 torx-head screws (5 for the front channel, 24 for the two side channels, 12 for the two floor channels)

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
Congrats on the new truck and welcome to this forum, the members here are great people and as you pointed out very helpful.
As my old post said I only removed one section of top rail as it wasn't properly aligned with next one so nothing could slide the full length without hitting a bump. The track is intentionally in two pieces so if ever rear ended the rail won't come into the cabin as the bed would fold. The one bolt gave me so much grief trying to remove. I'll just wish you great success in removing all of them if you decide to try. The open holes shouldn't cause any issue and if anything it would act as a drain in the floor. One helpful hint is start out with a brand new bit. Post how you make out in this. Lastly show us you camper when installed.

Clint

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only removed one section of top rail [...]. The one bolt gave me so much grief trying to remove. The open holes shouldn't cause any issue and if anything it would act as a drain in the floor. One helpful hint is start out with a brand new [torx-head screw] bit.
Does anyone else have experience removing Utili-track channels from the bed floors and sides? How difficult was it to remove the bolts?

And does anyone have an idea what I might be able to sell a complete Utili-track system for in this forum's Classifieds section?

It would include the following from a 2013 Frontier 6-foot bed:
- 2 full-length floor channels
- 2 full-length floor channel covers
- 1 full-width front channel
- 4 half-length side channels (2 half-length channels per side)
- 4 tie-down cleats
- 2 end stops/rail locks
- 41 torx-head screws (5 for the front channel, 24 for the two side channels, 12 for the two floor channels)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,440 Posts
I didn't try using heat and the screw bound up and the bit stripped out the hole.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Heat always makes removing parts easier...
Anyone can use the floor channels but the side channels require bed modification. In the stock location there is extra sheetmetal that the non-utilitrac beds don't have. The front channel can be used by anyone.

Do you plan to keep the truck till it dies? If you are the type that keeps cars till their dead and then resurrect them till they turn to rust pile its up to you to remove them. But if you upgrade periodically keep a mind to resale value. If the rails aren't in the way there's no pressure on you to remove them.

Removing the floor rails would give additional drainage holes but also additional ingress holes for mud/dirty water. The bed has small drain holes at the front of the bed.

If you do decide to remove the rails I'd like the front channel (front wall next to the cab).

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Obviously if you plan on selling it, remove it. But if they don't get in the way of installing the pop-up then why bother? Leave it in and you don't have to worry about rust and techniques for removal and all the other stuff you're concerned about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for all the helpful info & suggestions. I'm leaning toward keeping my truck's Utili-track channels in place, as they could be useful to me if I ever remove the camper (and as pointed out they could increase the truck's resale value if/when I sell it someday). I don't think it would be worth it for me to sell the components individually, and I would only consider going to the trouble of removing the 41 torx-head screws secured with Loctite threadlocker adhesive if someone was willing to pay at least $600 + shipping for all 7 channels, 2 covers, 2 end stops/rail lockers, and 4 tie-down cleats. It's not so easy to find the channels for sale, but I did find one online parts retailer listing all the individual components that I have for $1,090 (plus tax) as follows:

- 2 full-length floor channels = 2 x $125 = $250
- 2 full-length floor channel covers = 2 x $44 = $88
- 1 full-width front channel = $71
- 4 half-length side channels (2 half-length channels per side) = 2 x $89 + 2 x $90 = $358
- 4 tie-down cleats = 4 x $60 = $240
- 2 end stops/rail locks = 2 x $15 = $30
- 41 torx-head screws (5 for the front channel, 24 for the two side channels, 12 for the two floor channels) = 41 x $1.30 = $53
TOTAL = $1,090 + tax = $1,185 (at the 8.75% tax where I live)

I am considering selling the sliding bed extender (including the Utili-track mounting brackets) separately for about $200 (costs about $300 including tax from Nissan). To save me the hassle of disassembling & mailing, I'd prefer local pickup in San Jose, California - so I'll probably just list it locally on Craigslist.

Thanks again for helping me think this through.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Just being realistic here, you won't get anywhere close to retail for the whole utilitrack setup... I've seen the whole setup for sale on Craigslist for around $300 max. Same goes for the bed extender - if you can get $200 local pickup that's good, but they usually go for around $150ish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I was thinking someone might consider $600 (half the roughly $1200 retail cost) a decent deal if complete Utili-track systems are hard to find second hand, but that obviously wouldn't fly if they could find a complete setup elsewhere for $300. I doubt it would make sense to spend the time removing all 41(!) threadlocked torx screws and boxing everything up for mailing if I could only get $300 for all the channels, tie-down cleats, etc -- especially since an intact Utili-track system could be useful for me if I take the camper off my truck. And, if I kept my Utili-track system, then the sliding bed extender could also come in handy, so I'd have to think hard about parting with it for less than $200. But it's good to know what others have sold for so I can think it over.

I really appreciate the feedback everyone provided. Very helpful - thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was thinking someone might consider $600 (half the roughly $1200 retail cost) a decent deal if complete Utili-track systems are hard to find second hand, but that obviously wouldn't fly if they could find a complete setup elsewhere for $300. I doubt it would make sense to spend the time removing all 41(!) threadlocked torx screws and boxing everything up for mailing if I could only get $300 for all the channels, tie-down cleats, etc -- especially since an intact Utili-track system could be useful for me if I take the camper off my truck. And, if I kept my Utili-track system, then the sliding bed extender could also come in handy, so I'd have to think hard about parting with it for less than $200. But it's good to know what others have sold for so I can think it over.

I really appreciate the feedback everyone provided. Very helpful - thanks a lot!
The biggest problem with this is the side rails are a throw-away for anyone that didn't get the VTP (SV model) or Pro4X as there are special 'spacers' or reinforcements on the bedsides, leaving it to the floor & front channels only that would sell. The cleats & stoppers will sell and you will see them pop up here and on the FB Frontier pages every so often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...the side rails are a throw-away for anyone that didn't get the VTP (SV model) or Pro4X as there are special 'spacers' or reinforcements on the bedsides, leaving it to the floor & front channels only that would sell. The cleats & stoppers will sell and you will see them pop up here and on the FB Frontier pages every so often.
Hmmm, I guess I could consider selling only the front channel and the floor channels. Then I'd still have the side channels, tie-down cleats, and end stops, which would likely be the most useful components for me if I took the camper off my truck. I suppose I could try to sell the front and floor channels for about $200 + shipping, which is less than half what someone would pay retail, according to the following piecemeal retail prices I found online:

- 2 full-length floor channels = 2 x $125 = $250
- 2 full-length floor channel covers = 2 x $44 = $88
- 1 full-width front channel = $71
- 17 torx-head screws (5 for the front channel, 12 for the two floor channels) = 17 x $1.30 = $22
TOTAL = $431 + tax = $469 (at the 8.75% tax where I live)

But then I'd have open holes in the floor and front wall of the bed, making me wonder if it's worth the hassle, potential problems, and diminished truck resale value for just a $200 sale… I think probably not.

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful responses.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just stumbled across this I think you made right choice to leave well enough alone just FYI the sets pop up here an on craigs every now and then. When I brought my Frontier the entire setup was missing and I was able to snag a set while I was on my drive back home to TX in Maryland for $80bucks complete including cleats minus a couple of the screws

1 - 16 of 16 Posts