Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 06 with a Nismo package and I was out earlier going for a drive up the canyon by my house. The road get fairly rocky and rough up a ways and on the way back i realized i'd never really tried out my hill descent control. I was in 4 high coming down a hill that wasn't really steep, but had a fair grade to it and I stopped and turned on the HDC and the icon by my gauges went solid like i should and I started down the hill. The HDC was definately working but when I let it get up a little speed say above like 6-7 miles per hour it would start making really weird noises, almost like a grindy type of noise that definatley didn't sound good, but then it would go away once i hit the brakes so it was only making the noise when i was allowing the HDC to hold the truck back. Is this normal? I have never used it before and have no idea how the system works so i have no idea, but anyone who can help i appreciate it :noworries:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Mine is quite noisy and took a little while to get used to. What you describe sounds to be normal. I wouldn't call it a "grinding", but more of a pulsating/pumping sound alternating between all four wheels or ABS.

Word of advice, keep it in control. I mean, don't get yourself into a position the system can't handle like in a down hill turn until you are more familiar with it and sure it is operating correctly. If the factory warranty is still good, take it in.

Read the manual, take your time and practice using it.

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
yeah otherwise yours friends will be running when your truck isnt operating correctly haha , that was definatly scary

·
Registered
148 Posts
hill descent is a sketchy feature i believe, but that's just me, i've seen it malfunction and send trucks bouncing down the rocks man. when i go wheeling i find it best to just use your lo gears and breaks well. that way you are actually in control of the car, not leaving it up to the machine. i honestly wouldnt knwo much more about it, but taht's my two cents

·
Registered
154 Posts
According to the manual the HDC was designed to assist on steep grades when towing or carrying a heavy load. I have ben wondering about using it on trails, especially steep, very rocky trails. In these situations I find my ABS is constantly working hard and I worry about wearing it out. Anybody else have experience using HDC while off-roading?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I really dont know if that would be a feature that I would use either....
4Lo and 1st gear in my manual transmission creeps me down steep trails no problem.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
Back in NC I know Super6Turbo4 used it at Uwharrie a few times when I was riding passenger with him. I don't really remember it making any noise. I actually think I have video of us going downhill when he was using it once. I'll see if I can find it and post it up for you. You might try PMing him since he doesn't really frequent the forum much anymore and ask him about it.

Found it:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i used it a few times on steep down hill trails. including that same down hill that sexy6chick posted, about 5min after them. usually in 4lo but once i turn the HDC on i dont even touch the breaks going down. it keepes me at a slow speed and always in control. if one of the wheels loses traction i feel it slow the truck down and the wheel regains traction.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have attached a link to a video of my using HDC at Hard Rock in Ocala, FL. You can hear the grinding in the video and as far as I know, that is what it's supposed to sound like as your ABS is working to slow you down and limit wheel slip. I found that it works best for me when I'm in low gear and allowing the engine to slow me down as well (unlike in the video). If used properly, you just keep your foot off the brake and steer.

HardRock3 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts