Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not very informed when it comes to switches and wiring.

I recently got rid of the back up sensors in my bumper, I was thinking of replacing the button on the dash with another heated seat one. And then wiring my Rigid lights to it. I have a combo white and amber so it is a two(or three?) position switch, similar to what the seat heater is. As in middle nothing up white down amber. Would this work, and is their any source for the OEM switch but having a different icon on it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I have these switches in my truck .... Up to 6 so far :)
https://www.otrattw.net/

I recently got rid of the back up sensors in my bumper, I was thinking of replacing the button on the dash with another heated seat one. And then wiring my Rigid lights to it. I have a combo white and amber so it is a two(or three?) position switch, similar to what the seat heater is. As in middle nothing up white down amber. Would this work, and is their any source for the OEM switch but having a different icon on it? Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just bought an S-pod 6 switch kit for my lighting?
4x4spod.com

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts

Use the OEM Nissan "Off Road Lamps" switch, in the photo it's in the driver's side dash, but it's the same size as the center lower console switches and it drops right in:

more pics here.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use the OEM Nissan "Off Road Lamps" switch, in the photo it's in the driver's side dash, but it's the same size as the center lower console switches and it drops right in:

more pics here.
Do you know if that switch has three positions? Off up for white and down for amber?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the heated seat switches won't work for what you are needing. When the top of the heated seat switch is pressed, two lines of power are supplied, one for the bottom of the seat and one for the lumbar support. When the botton is pressed, only one line of power is supplied, for the bottom of the seat.

I've attached the power schematic. Hopefully, you'll understand why it can't be used for that....

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the heated seat switches won't work for what you are needing. When the top of the heated seat switch is pressed, two lines of power are supplied, one for the bottom of the seat and one for the lumbar support. When the botton is pressed, only one line of power is supplied, for the bottom of the seat.

I've attached the power schematic. Hopefully, you'll understand why it can't be used for that....

With what you just said, I think it can be done with a relay and 2 diodes.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Not sure you even need the diodes...

This should work:

The switch isn't shown exactly like the one in the truck. The top pin is the off position. The center pin is the low position (should be active when switch is in either position - heating the seat bottom). The bottom pin is the high position (active to heat the lumbar area of the seat).

The power is sent to the relay switch common whenever the switch is turned on (high or low). The relay is only engaged in the high position (determining which output is energized). If your light bar uses less current than the seat heaters, you can connect them directly. If not, you may need some bigger relays to support the current draw of the lights on the output of this circuit.

Hopefully I explained it well enough. Never quite know what a persons knowledge level is for these type of questions.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
...and here you go, unless I missed something then this should work. You'll need 1x relay and 2x diodes in between the OEM seat heater switch and the two aftermarket lamp relays. Note the direction of the diodes, that's the important part.

- Basically with the switch "up" 12v+ is sent to the relay input 30, straight through the relay, then out 87a to the white lamp relay only.

- When the switch is "down" it sends 12v+ to both 30 and the relay coil 85. Relay coil activates, flicks the relay output to 87, which exits to the amber lamp relay only.

- The two diodes are needed to keep switch "up" and switch "down" circuits isolated

- You're using the switch "down" 12v+ to provide power to the amber lamp relay AND activate this relay coil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts