Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may be kind of a random thought on my part but... in searching for a frontier and looking at online pics and seeing a few at dealerships I've noticed that in some the USB and aux port are in the center console or taking up one of the two D.C. Outlets on the center dash area. Can anyone shed light onto why they seem to be in different places and why it seems anyway that some years it's in on and others it's moved but then seems to go back and forth? I test drove a 2016 p4x today and it was in the center console but then at the car show the 2017 had it up in that dash area... I suppose this isn't a huge deal but I'm just curious about it.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Trying to understand "Infinite Wisdom" is a daunting task.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
my 2017 SV has it in the dash near the passenger side up font in a spot that one would think would be for a 12V

and in the center console it is a 12V...lol

I am thinking about moving/swapping the two
I will have to lengthen the wire a bit though

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my 2017 SV has it in the dash near the passenger side up font in a spot that one would think would be for a 12V

and in the center console it is a 12V...lol

I am thinking about moving/swapping the two
I will have to lengthen the wire a bit though

That's what I mean. I've seen them in both places. It seems random too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not aware of it going back and forth beteeen years, although I'm a been here on the Frontier. I did notice the difference between it being in the console on the '15 and '16 models I looked at, versus dash area for the new '17. I prefer the move. My Mazda had the USB and aux in the console. Anything plugged to them was typically NOT in the console.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
They just move it to move it, maybe it's related to trim level or option package (?)

My '14 has the VTP and had two 12v receptacles in the center dash (passenger side to the right of the 4WD switch), another 12v receptacle in the center arm rest console, and a USB audio/charge port in the center arm rest console. the 3.5mm audio was on the head unit itself, IIRC. However, a 2016 Frontier S that my cousin rented last year had the USB audio/charge port in the dash, 3.5mm in the console... so who knows.

BTW I said "had" because I swapped my dash ones out for 2x USBs, 3.5mm Aux, and HDMI.

·
Registered
544 Posts
They just move it to move it, maybe it's related to trim level or option package (?)

My '14 has the VTP and had two 12v receptacles in the center dash (passenger side to the right of the 4WD switch), another 12v receptacle in the center arm rest console, and a USB audio/charge port in the center arm rest console. the 3.5mm audio was on the head unit itself, IIRC. However, a 2016 Frontier S that my cousin rented last year had the USB audio/charge port in the dash, 3.5mm in the console... so who knows.

BTW I said "had" because I swapped my dash ones out for 2x USBs, 3.5mm Aux, and HDMI.
Don't seem to be no rhyme or reason as to where they will be as my 16 SV-VTP is like your's with 2 power outlets in the dash and 1 power outlet & the USB/Aux port under the armrest...

I'll change one of the power outlets to a dual USB sooner or later but I don't carry passengers much and don't need it for myself as I only use the power outlet in the armrest.

what does the VTP stand for that i keep seeing posted in threads?
SV V6 Value Truck Package
RearView Monitor and Rear Sonar System
Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control (ATC)
Six speakers (King Cab® only)
Auto-dimming rearview mirror, digital compass, and outside temperature display
Factory-applied spray-on bedliner
Utili-track® Channel System with 4 tie-down cleats
Fog lights
Vehicle Security System
Heated front seats, carpeted floor mats, and in-cabin microfilter
Sliding bed extender
Tow hitch receiver, Class IV5

·
Registered
374 Posts
However, a 2016 Frontier S that my cousin rented last year had the USB audio/charge port in the dash, 3.5mm in the console...
Totally agree with ya @raine. I have a AUX in my center console but no USB audio/charge port in the dash. Interesting. I always wondered about the usb in the cigarette light plug also. weird?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd like to see some pics of the usb port mounted on the dash in place of the second 12v. Ive been thinking of swapping out one of those for a dual USB with a 2.1 amp port so I can charge my iPad if need be. It seems that based on what some of you have seen, it may be possible there is a factory or oem setup that would make it more plug and play. I haven't opened the dash yet to see what the 12v plugs connect to, so I'm not sure how much work it would take to adapt an aftermarket USB port to work properly.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I'd like to see some pics of the usb port mounted on the dash in place of the second 12v. Ive been thinking of swapping out one of those for a dual USB with a 2.1 amp port so I can charge my iPad if need be. It seems that based on what some of you have seen, it may be possible there is a factory or oem setup that would make it more plug and play. I haven't opened the dash yet to see what the 12v plugs connect to, so I'm not sure how much work it would take to adapt an aftermarket USB port to work properly.
Here's my current setup:

TopHDMI connector goes to the back of my head unit. Upper USB is a combo charge/flash drive port, also connected to my head unit.
3.5mm is connected to the audio-input of my head unit. Second USB is dual purpose - right now it is connected to my DSP, so whenever I plug in my laptop to tune audio I don't have to reach under the seat to plug a USB cable in. However I rigged a voltage step-down underneath the cup holder area, if I really need a second USB up front to charge, I can pull the cupholder out, unplug the cable leading to the DSP and connect it to the voltage step-down.

And since we're talking plugs, if I ever need an actual 12v receptacle, I still have one in the center armrest area:

That's factory - 12v plug up top (with another USB charger in it for rear seat peeps) and a USB audio/charge port underneath. The extra cable coming out next to the USB panel is the cable for my Firestik CB antenna.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here's my current setup:

TopHDMI connector goes to the back of my head unit. Upper USB is a combo charge/flash drive port, also connected to my head unit.
3.5mm is connected to the audio-input of my head unit. Second USB is dual purpose - right now it is connected to my DSP, so whenever I plug in my laptop to tune audio I don't have to reach under the seat to plug a USB cable in. However I rigged a voltage step-down underneath the cup holder area, if I really need a second USB up front to charge, I can pull the cupholder out, unplug the cable leading to the DSP and connect it to the voltage step-down.

And since we're talking plugs, if I ever need an actual 12v receptacle, I still have one in the center armrest area:

That's factory - 12v plug up top (with another USB charger in it for rear seat peeps) and a USB audio/charge port underneath. The extra cable coming out next to the USB panel is the cable for my Firestik CB antenna.
I wonder if its possible to hook up an HDMI to the factory audio system? I'm assuming yours is aftermarket. And where did you get those ports for the dash? I wanna get one that covers up like that to kind of mimic the factory 12v ports. Not really worried about the audio function for those, just want extra USB ports, with hopefully a 2.1 amp port.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I wonder if its possible to hook up an HDMI to the factory audio system? I'm assuming yours is aftermarket. And where did you get those ports for the dash? I wanna get one that covers up like that to kind of mimic the factory 12v ports. Not really worried about the audio function for those, just want extra USB ports, with hopefully a 2.1 amp port.
First Part: Well brainstorming here... you'd need the OEM HU with a screen first. Then you'd need a way to connect a video signal to the OEM HU as a separate input. Then you'd need a way to switch the display when you are using that video input. I guess you could hack into the OEM rear camera harness somehow.

Second Part: Yeah I wanted the ports on the side to look OEM too, with covers to keep dust out. These are connected to an aftermarket HU, I got them from Amazon.com. If you want to add USB charge ports you would need a different type of device, since these are basically just port extension cables.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
just get a charger that's pictured in his 3rd pic. it turns any 12v socket into a usb charger.
I purposely used a regular plug-in USB charger on that 3rd one just in case I ever need the 12v receptacle (since I no longer have the OEm two up front)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 17 pro 4x has the usb/aux port on the dash. I wish it was in the center console so I could just leave my ipod plugged in. Eventually guess I'll just move the port.

See that's what I was wondering and it seemed odd to move it there. I just got the '16 and it's in the console and I like it there for the same reason as you. Although I'm going to try loading up all my music on a little flash drive and going that route. That's cheaper to replace than my iPod that they don't make anymore. Damn Apple only makes the iPod touch and it's too small to hold all my stuff. I'll be super bummed when my 128gb dies.

·
Registered
74 Posts
See that's what I was wondering and it seemed odd to move it there. I just got the '16 and it's in the console and I like it there for the same reason as you. Although I'm going to try loading up all my music on a little flash drive and going that route. That's cheaper to replace than my iPod that they don't make anymore. Damn Apple only makes the iPod touch and it's too small to hold all my stuff. I'll be super bummed when my 128gb dies.
Haha yeah, I have an old 120gb classic that I love and don't want to get rid of. The iphones have killed the ipods which sucks, I have way too much music to put on my phone, even though it has 120gb too ::grin::

Flash drive isn't a bad idea, my wife keeps one in her vehicle with some music on it. Lot cheaper to replace if lost/broke/stolen.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 17 pro 4x has the usb/aux port on the dash. I wish it was in the center console so I could just leave my ipod plugged in. Eventually guess I'll just move the port.
Just an observation, there might be a difference in your console over the '16s. Something to look into before just to know:

The part that the usb is mounted to protrudes out past the coin holder.

The 12v plug is flush with the front of the coin holder, and no USB/audio protruding out past it.

Could be that the changes were made to increase storage space in the center console. Can't be sure though. You might have a blank space protruding past the coin holders. But just a detail I noticed in the pics the other guys posted. I suppose you could swap the positions of the USB/audio from the dash, and the 12v outlet from the console.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Just an observation, there might be a difference in your console over the '16s. Something to look into before just to know:

The part that the usb is mounted to protrudes out past the coin holder.

The 12v plug is flush with the front of the coin holder, and no USB/audio protruding out past it.

Could be that the changes were made to increase storage space in the center console. Can't be sure though. You might have a blank space protruding past the coin holders. But just a detail I noticed in the pics the other guys posted. I suppose you could swap the positions of the USB/audio from the dash, and the 12v outlet from the console.
Yeah there's definitely some differences, If they moved the USB to the dash on '16 that would explan the "flush" part in the armrest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts