Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever heard of or used these? I need new front pads and rotors and this seems like a great deal with good reviews for the few that it has. I can't seem to find any info on them besides the Amazon/eBay stuff.

Just makes me wonder about the quality....

Its cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads for the fronts all for $62 shipped

Compare this to what I initially was going to buy:

A basic kit from Centric that is standard rotors with ceramic pads for $66 + shipping
More Information for CENTRIC 90842030

Since it is brakes, I'd like to know that they are not going to fail unexpectedly.
What do you guys think of that kit? Worth a shot? or don't chance it?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after doing some more reading and finding some horror stories online about some other discount brands from Amazon I decided to go with the known good brand...

Ended up upgrading to the middle grade stuff as it meets QS and ISO quality standards. $100 for better rotors and pads is cheap compared to the cost of failure.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7206480&cc=1434650&jsn=402

·
Registered
701 Posts
We are a vendor on this forum that offers aftermarket rotors and brake pads for the Frontier. If you're interested or have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are a vendor on this forum that offers aftermarket rotors and brake pads for the Frontier. If you're interested or have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out.
I did check you guys out first because you are a site vendor but the prices I saw were a bit much for what I was looking for. It does look like you have a quality product line though and if I were looking for an upgrade with a bit more to spend I probably would have contacted you.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I have those exact centeric set up. Very pleased with them. Seem like they could bite a little harder, but never an issue with stopping. The elctro coating is nice, still look nice and black through one salty winter. At least they are smooth and vib free!

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
I did check you guys out first because you are a site vendor but the prices I saw were a bit much for what I was looking for. It does look like you have a quality product line though and if I were looking for an upgrade with a bit more to spend I probably would have contacted you.
On the other hand I have the R1's, over a year now with no problems. So like you said - if in the future you do decide to upgrade, you can't go wrong with the R1's.

·
Registered
534 Posts
R1's are pretty good considering the price. These are the "Premier" line, I found them on Amazon at $150 for the fronts with pads. They shipped the wrong ones the first time but corrected it quickly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just finished doing the install on the truck with the Centric parts. I had considered returning them and going with R1 Concepts as I had the site rep PM some prices on what he could do and they were very close to what I paid for the Centric stuff.

I ended up doing a bunch of reading about drilled/slotted vs blank for a truck, with off road and towing in mind. The general census seems to be that drilled/ slotted do more harm than good off road and can* help while towing but the need for them has long since passed due to better pad technology. Now days they are mostly for looks and can actually hurt heat dissipation.

So after that I decided to just install the Centric kit. Initial impressions are good but we'll see tomorrow on my commute. I had a hot spot on my rotors prior and it caused a pulsing for the last 5-10k but besides that I got 101k miles out of the OEM front pads (rears were done at 80k). The wear indicator had just started to touch and make noise.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
Just finished doing the install on the truck with the Centric parts. I had considered returning them and going with R1 Concepts as I had the site rep PM some prices on what he could do and they were very close to what I paid for the Centric stuff.

I ended up doing a bunch of reading about drilled/slotted vs blank for a truck, with off road and towing in mind. The general census seems to be that drilled/ slotted do more harm than good off road and can* help while towing but the need for them has long since passed due to better pad technology. Now days they are mostly for looks and can actually hurt heat dissipation.

So after that I decided to just install the Centric kit. Initial impressions are good but we'll see tomorrow on my commute. I had a hot spot on my rotors prior and it caused a pulsing for the last 5-10k but besides that I got 101k miles out of the OEM front pads (rears were done at 80k). The wear indicator had just started to touch and make noise.
Hot spots suck!

Good to see you selected what you felt was right for you.

Regarding the "general consensus" IMO I'd say that proper brake pad bedding is a key detail that many people don't do, which easily makes any brake upgrade feel crappy - you can glaze a standard rotor just as easy as a drilled/slotted one! (Not saying you will glamis, just saying)

All I know is that every time I come back down the 330 from Big Bear I've never noticed any signs of fade on the R1's (2 summer seasons so far) and I honestly go down that road fairly fast.
:surprise:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts