Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. prob been discussed but I have a few questions. I have been on uprev's site. I understand generaly how the Osiris Standard works. Now, my first question:

Is uprev that much better than the other hand helds? I will probably not be able to dyno tune my truck as dyno's are few to none around me. In this case is uprev still better? Or would a Superchips or others be adequate?

Second, if I purchase the uprev Standard, do I need a laptop???

Third, is relevant to the second question. If I am a very big newb with computers, and computer side of tuning vehicles, will I be able to figure out uprev for myself?

Any info would be awesome. I did search but just get a little overloaded sometimes trying to sift through all the info.
Thankyou.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Can't comment on the uprev but I just installed my superchips over the weekend and have liked it so far. Can tell the difference between stock, performance, and gas saver modes on the butt dyno and with the data acquisition system that is built into the superchip unit.

I didn't need a laptop but I did need a computer with Internet for it though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
All the handheld tuner are just general off the shelf tuning that dont tune to your specific modifications. They come with preloaded maps that are already created for the truck based on a stock trucks configuration. With uprev, they custom tune it taking into account all your modifications and correct your AFRs etc. That way you can get every last drop of performance out of your mods. You dont need a dyno, you can datalog your truck with the cipher cable and email it to them. They will look it over and optimize it for you. You need a computer (a laptop would be easier then hauling a desktop out there) but other then that, you dont need to know how to tune it as they do that for you with osiris standard. Thats the next thing i gotta save for. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
yea uprev is more specific about the tune which makes it better for your application. i met the uprev guys when i was in austin last year and they are a great bunch of people that really know their stuff. the Osiris software is pretty slick too. it's better if you have access to a laptop since you can take it with you...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
uprev is on my mod list. if you are thinking of tuning, go with uprev. handhelds are general tunes as mention, although a bit cheaper. but osiris standard used to be 700.

i would do it if i were you

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Thanks for all the great info. That was so much easier than sifting through and figuring out past posts.

Don't need laptop, but would either need reeaally long cables for PC or move PC out to truck. Correct?

Regardless I will likely go in the Uprev direction. Im putting on DT Long tubes, intake(prob Volant), and currently have 2 Hi flow rear cats, custom Y pipe, and a generic Magnaflow 3" in 3" out muffler. So I would think they would be best option. Im just a little intimidated by computers and the idea of messin up my truck. My luck is that something will be wrong/off with the tune, and I won't know any better, and BLAMO, there goes another motor. HAHA.

Well. Thanks guys. Guess this will be my next purchase then. Maybe I can borrow a buddys laptop when it comes time, but I'll worry bout that when I get there. Will definetly post up and let everyone know how things turn out. Won't be for a few weeks tho, as I still don't have a motor, and even if I did it wouldn't go in til UPS drops off my headers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Once you add LT headers and HF cats, the handhelds are out of the question. There is just too much flow for their generic maps to work with.

UpRev is the way to go. Laptop is almost a must. You have to have a way to log as you go so a long cable won't work and I doubt you want to drag the desktop out and use an inverter to run it in your truck.

Also, you have 2 options. You can either tune it yourself or have them do it for free for the first initial ones or 50 bucks each down the line. I would buy the edition that allows you to do it yourself so you can make mods as you go and if it is just too far off, send them a log and 50 bucks and you will be hooked up.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Like dubie said. The more mods you do, the more obsolete the handhelds become and the larger benefits you will gain through uprev.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Once you add LT headers and HF cats, the handhelds are out of the question. There is just too much flow for their generic maps to work with.

UpRev is the way to go. Laptop is almost a must. You have to have a way to log as you go so a long cable won't work and I doubt you want to drag the desktop out and use an inverter to run it in your truck.

Also, you have 2 options. You can either tune it yourself or have them do it for free for the first initial ones or 50 bucks each down the line. I would buy the edition that allows you to do it yourself so you can make mods as you go and if it is just too far off, send them a log and 50 bucks and you will be hooked up.
Yup! If you plan for basic mods - handhelds.

If you want to go farther like cams, highflow parts ect.. You NEED uprev.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before I start. I was just poping back on quick to edit my last post.

DT Long Tubes are here. WOOOOHOOOOO. (I don't know how to put up a picture)

Now onto business.

Perfect. That's the kinda info im looking for. Now the tunes are wher I get a little worried. Once I have the tune "uploaded" to the truck, I don't know about specifics like Air/Fuel ratios and the such. This is why I ask if a newb would be over their head?

So scenario would be: I order Uprev, I use laptop to connect it to my truck, and it tells me what to do from there???? Then if something not right I "data log" , then send uprev that info?? Im really sorry if I seem really dense.:comphead:

And just out of curiosity sake. Why would someone order more than one tune?? Aside from fuel grade tuning?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Once you get uprev. Hook it to your truck and do a datalog. Then send the log to uprev and they will make you a custom tune. then take that tune and load it to your truck and your good to go. You don't have to mess with anything. It comes with 5 maps that can be for different octane, towing, performance, valet etc. Hope this helps. When you gonna put in your headers? Gonna try do em this weekend.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Uprev is dope. 5 maps that you can switch on the fly @ any time. Its funny.. I let the woman use the truck on valet mode (45mph top speed and cannot rev past 2.5k rpm) she thought she broke it :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Uprev is dope. 5 maps that you can switch on the fly @ any time. Its funny.. I let the woman use the truck on valet mode (45mph top speed and cannot rev past 2.5k rpm) she thought she broke it :laugh:
lol..........LOL my tune 93 10psi, tow tune, crap gas tune, kid tune 3k rpm limiter, 70 mph. anti theft 10 miles an hour.....I run 12mph

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
959- Rite one, good info, I feel a little more at ease about the computer aspect now. Unfortunaltely it will likely be a couple weeks til mine go in. I blew up my motor a couple months ago and have yet to actually get a used one. Fig I should just wait til I pull dead motor to install headers, would be easiest. I wish you best of luck in your install, hope it goes smoothly. Instructions don't make it seem so bad but ????? I can't wait to hear how they make our trucks sound. I hope real gnarly.

Shinermiller- That's the F'in funniest thing i heard all week.

Brutal- Ahhhh, I get it, 93 tune for daily/fun driving then like an 87 tune incase only low grade available. Thankyou.

And Thankyou all very much. You make me feel a little smarter today. HAHA

·
Registered
693 Posts
Glad it helps! Your lucky in a way (except for the blown motor part) that youll be able to take you time while you work on your truck. Mines a daily so having it down for a long time is not possible. Oh well, take your time on it and you should have a BEAST!

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
lol..........LOL my tune 93 10psi, tow tune, crap gas tune, kid tune 3k rpm limiter, 70 mph. anti theft 10 miles an hour.....I run 12mph
LMAO. Bill you shut up with that 93oct 10psi stuff!! You might find your truck on cinderblocks :nana:

all that boost must give you the extra two mph on anti-theft mode hahaha

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
LMAO. Bill you shut up with that 93oct 10psi stuff!! You might find your truck on cinderblocks :nana:

all that boost must give you the extra two mph on anti-theft mode hahaha
NO I meen "I" run 12 mph in tennis shoes. well but not as far as I used too:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts