Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after searching all morning since 8:00AM HID is only an option if you retrofit and LEDS just scatter the light in the headlights. So for those the go to seems to be the silverstar ultras. I would like to do the Front turn signal/parking lamp bulb and Front side marker lamp bulb in LED. Should I go with the white bulbs or the appropriate color that is in now? For the rears I want to do the same, definitely do the cargo lights brighter than stock along with the lack up lights. Obviously the brake lights can remain white since the housing produces the red color. Any recommendations as far as brand or vendor or if the ebay LEDS will be fine?

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I am thinking about doing the HID replacements to my headlights, they are too yellowish compared to my Off-road flood lights

Reactions: v1ru5

·
Registered
549 Posts
Silverstars are all marketing. Sadly I have tried all versions of them with terrible results. They are not as useful as regular bulbs; the color temp is all wrong. Whiter and bluer light is not good for driving in poor conditions. Yellower light is better for that. They burn out quickly; you're literally throwing your money out the window. I had Silverstar ultras last less than a year. Same for friends who have used them.

The Sylvania Xtravisons are their best bulb overall. They are brighter but still have the lower color temp to see in bad weather. They last years and are cheap.

I suggest leaving your headlights alone. Get a good set of driving lights. I'm old school and use Hella FF75 driving lights. They are mounted on my roof rack. I'd prefer them on the bumper but I have a snow plow. I also have FF50 fog lights for reverse lights. Both lights perform great. They are small enough to fit just about anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
19,903 Posts
I had these for a few years before upgrading to projector HID. They were the best regular bulbs out of all of the brands I tried including PIAA and Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Had them in the headlights and fog lights. HID is the best thing I did for my truck's lighting. Also added some Morimoto LED fog lights.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be trying out those Phillips crystal visions as I just got my headlights sanded and cleared now to get some better bulbs n do the adjustment to raise the light beam. That site is smoking crack for what they want to sell the headlights for!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just received a set of test LED headlight bulbs that are supposed to match the stock beam pattern while providing lots more light. I'll be installing them Friday (plug and play) and following up with some rudimentary, but hopefully relevant, testing soon after. If they live up to their own hype they should be just as good or better than HIDs with better beam patterns at about 1/3 the price. Keep an eye on this thread if you're interested..

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/read-previously-lived-recently-329378/

·
Super Moderator
19,903 Posts
I just received a set of test LED headlight bulbs that are supposed to match the stock beam pattern while providing lots more light. I'll be installing them Friday (plug and play) and following up with some rudimentary, but hopefully relevant, testing soon after. If they live up to their own hype they should be just as good or better than HIDs with better beam patterns at about 1/3 the price. Keep an eye on this thread if you're interested..

They won't live up to their own hype. Just the fact that they are less expensive than HID should tell you something. The LED bulbs need to be engineered into it's own headlight housing just as HID headlights do. Instead of using the OEM headlight reflector bowl, they need to have their own bowl designed for LED bulbs. I have LED fog lights by Morimoto on both of my vehicles. They are designed for LED operation and perform exceptionally well.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Ill be sure to keep an eye out I am interested to see the results

They won't live up to their own hype. Just the fact that they are less expensive than HID should tell you something. The LED bulbs need to be engineered into it's own headlight housing just as HID headlights do. Instead of using the OEM headlight reflector bowl, they need to have their own bowl designed for LED bulbs. I have LED fog lights by Morimoto on both of my vehicles. They are designed for LED operation and perform exceptionally well.
How do you like the light output on those? I eventually would like to upgrade all the lighting on the entire truck and it seems that LED fogs would be a good way to go.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
@Foggy4X the lights in the link are custom made HID with high quality ballast. The only time ive seen them flicker is using shitty Chinese and not Japanese or America parts. I have yet to find a TRUE led headlight assembly for our trucks.... prolly wont happen until they upgrade the truck completely and have them as standard running lights like on the new tacomas.... which I think look really cool

Reactions: Foggy4X

·
Registered
348 Posts
@Foggy4X the lights in the link are custom made HID with high quality ballast. The only time ive seen them flicker is using shitty Chinese and not Japanese or America parts. I have yet to find a TRUE led headlight assembly for our trucks.... prolly wont happen until they upgrade the truck completely and have them as standard running lights like on the new tacomas.... which I think look really cool
Thanks Rob, thats good to know there wont be issues with the HIDs. I can't remember where my old kit came from but I thought it was from one of the more "reputable" sites back in the day (like 09). In theory wouldn't the projector light work well with the light output of an LED bulb? It looks like the pre-assembled kit comes with the HIDs but if there is every a problem say a couple years down the line it could be nice to just swap in LED bulbs if possible.

·
Super Moderator
19,903 Posts
Ill be sure to keep an eye out I am interested to see the results

How do you like the light output on those? I eventually would like to upgrade all the lighting on the entire truck and it seems that LED fogs would be a good way to go.
The LED fogs allowed me to drive safely on a dark road in Texas the last time I drove to Utah. One of my ballasts took a dump as soon as I switched on my headlights. I had a backup with me but wanted to wait until daylight to install it. Stopped at a rest area at dawn and got the ballast replaced. Those LED fogs saved the day for me. They provide a good light spread to help my old eyes see better at night.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The LED fogs allowed me to drive safely on a dark road in Texas the last time I drove to Utah. One of my ballasts took a dump as soon as I switched on my headlights. I had a backup with me but wanted to wait until daylight to install it. Stopped at a rest area at dawn and got the ballast replaced. Those LED fogs saved the day for me. They provide a good light spread to help my old eyes see better at night.
I will have to look into a LED fog kit for this. I live in Northern New Mexico and there is definitely a lot of dark roads

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
@Foggy4X check out the sponsor on here @diodedynamics they have an awesome LED fog light WITH a projector lense! Select the pure white 5000k color and bulb model Luxeon LED Replacement housing .... its $160 but the videos of these on youtube look pretty f'ing nice ...... for me , videos and pics are a must

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be trying out those Phillips crystal visions as I just got my headlights sanded and cleared now to get some better bulbs n do the adjustment to raise the light beam. That site is smoking crack for what they want to sell the headlights for!

how are those working out for you so far? is it plug n play?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey peeps, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. Upgrading exterior lighting is one of the first things I did on my new to me 2006 KC. I added Zevo LED brake/tails, JDM Astar 800 Lumen reverse and cargo lights, and I upgraded the stock headlights to Philips X-tremeVision 9007 bulbs.

I ordered factory style fog lights on eBay and those came with generic H11 bulbs. I then decided to try some LED bulbs in my headlights, what a damn mistake and waste of time that was. I then decided to do an actual HID retrofit. I used budget Nilight 2.5" projectors into new replacement headlight assemblies from Amazon and it worked out very well. I used a 6000K Innovited 55W HID kit. I will probably be upgrading the fogs to LED bulbs and then probably switch the front/rear turn signals into LED bulbs also. Any issues with hyperflashing? Thanks.

Art

I also added a cheap 22" LED light bar in the grill opening right above the license plate after I turned the LP bracket upside down to give me clearance. There are 2 factory holes in the bumper that fit perfectly. Just today, I realized the bar wouldn't turn on and realized that my relay had gotten water in it and it rusted the contacts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts