Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I realize now i would have been better served buying a Pro-4x as a stock 4x would meet my needs a bit better than the SV 4x4, that said with the money saved i am hoping to get the SV to the same or perhaps a slightly higher performance level.

My goal is to stiffen up the suspension a bit and make it more suitable for off road driving, and add about 1" -1.5" of lift to facilitate this. I also want to preserve it's road manners as much as possible, since that is where the truck lives 90% of the time and it is my DD. I really do not believe i need more than that extra 1-1.5" for my applications, which would put it near the 4x lift.

I understand the spring rate on the 4x is higher and it uses a bilstein 4600 shock. Would simply swapping to a 4600 or 5100 on all 4 wheels get me to my goal or would i need to also upgrade the springs? I'd love to do this for under $600 dollars and i am not after a hardcore setup, just after something a bit closer to the 4x and perhaps a tad better.

Thanks in advance for any input. I am blown away with the enthusiast knowledge here.

I've already swapped the tires out which made a massive improvement and added the 4x's skid plates, which is the level of protection i felt i required(except for the engine one, that thing is sad). I'm also planning to add an eaton E locker to the vehicle this summer. I have the 6MT, which i am glad came with the Dana 44 style axle. That was dumb luck as i simply prefer manuals.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Manual transmission vehicles are hard to find (at least in upstate NY were I am/was) when shopping....so I used the $$ saved as my justification to put better components on my SV than what the P4x comes with stock for off-roading and about the only thing I wish I had was the 8-way power drivers seat (but I don't like leather since it scuffs easily and is very slippery when you take care of it properly (so it lasts long))...

There's lots of info regarding suspension mods/builds here; decide on what you want so you can do it right the first time!

I'm adding armor first (skids, rock sliders and hopefully a good bumper) before I work out my suspension upgrades so I know the extra weight I'm dealing with.

Good luck with your decisions!

Reactions: tidinnc

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The pro 4x is no higher (save for the tires that are a 1/2 taller, so really only gaining 1/4" of ground clearance) than the SV. If you only want a small lift and you spend 90% of the time on road why not go with a small spacer and block or shackle? Will cost the least amount. Otherwise you can get the Adjustable bils and set them on the first setting. If you do an add a leaf in the back you will lift it 2". Block or shackle is the only option for 1-1.5 in the back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pro 4x is no higher (save for the tires that are a 1/2 taller, so really only gaining 1/4" of ground clearance) than the SV. If you only want a small lift and you spend 90% of the time on road why not go with a small spacer and block or shackle? Will cost the least amount. Otherwise you can get the Adjustable bils and set them on the first setting. If you do an add a leaf in the back you will lift it 2". Block or shackle is the only option for 1-1.5 in the back.
I was really considering just waiting a while and getting a full OME system for 1200, that would raise everything by 2" and give me a really nice system. How much improvement is an OME system over a set of 5100's and an AAL? Has anyone had experience with both? I'd rather do it right the first time, even if it is more expensive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was really considering just waiting a while and getting a full OME system for 1200, that would raise everything by 2" and give me a really nice system. How much improvement is an OME system over a set of 5100's and an AAL? Has anyone had experience with both? I'd rather do it right the first time, even if it is more expensive.

I have the full OME setup waiting to be installed. I just assembled the struts/coils tonight and hopefully will finish it all this week. Will keep you updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
See Pathung's build thread as he has the complete OME kit, with the addition of a small spacer up front. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/pathung-s-build-210217/

Since you have already added the stock skids, consider a set of sliders to protect your rocker panels and act as steps. Pat has the White Knuckle Off Road sliders (as I do on my X) and they make an excellent product with superior customer service. The version built with DOM tubing are very well made to take almost any abuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts