Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 2007 c/c 4wd.. And im not sure if the bearing is going out in it or if its my tensioner pully but im considering anything at this point.. My question is, if it is infact the bearing going bad in it I would like to stick one in with a little more a$$ to it .. So what other ones go on that are considered an upgrade?

I know with the hardbody and first gens you can upgrade to the Quest alternator cause ive done it and it requires a pulley swap but im unaware of one for the second gens

Any light to be shed on this would be great

Thank you

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
if it is infact the bearing going bad in it I would like to stick one in with a little more a$$ to it
According to the factory service manual, the original alternator in your V6 is capable of producing at least 82 amps at 1800 RPM, or 115 amps at 2500 RPM. (The alternator pulley has a smaller diameter than the crankshaft pulley that drives it, so it's spinning somewhere around 1800 RPM when the engine is idling).

Your engine isn't drawing more than 20 amps.

Throw in another 10 amps for heater/AC, 15 amps for headlamps, and another 20 for misc. accessories...

That's still only 65 amps.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Check out Rugged Rocks if your looking for a High Output alternator, they have some options.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the factory service manual, the original alternator in your V6 is capable of producing at least 82 amps at 1800 RPM, or 115 amps at 2500 RPM. (The alternator pulley has a smaller diameter than the crankshaft pulley that drives it, so it's spinning somewhere around 1800 RPM when the engine is idling).

Your engine isn't drawing more than 20 amps.

Throw in another 10 amps for heater/AC, 15 amps for headlamps, and another 20 for misc. accessories...

That's still only 65 amps.

Good to know.. Now considering everything i have has been turned to led and i do have a 34in light bar to add to.. I dont believe it is enough to strain, BUT i do notice my gauge moves a good bit when i use the windows at night (or when i have any of my lights on) so i would think if im going to replace it may as well have more then not enough .

·
Registered
886 Posts
This actually brings up some questions for me.

What about electric lockers, winch, radio, additional lighting. . . I mean, imagine having to winch at night needing all the light output you can get, and needing to lock both diffs. . . How much draw can you expect needing a heater running and all the lights, plus a winch?

Would a dual battery setup or a higher output alternator be a better bet?

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
I run dual batteries with the stock alternator. Ran off road lights for a good 12 hours with no problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run dual batteries with the stock alternator. Ran off road lights for a good 12 hours with no problems.
Lights is one thing but Skinny06 makes a point.. My father has a tacoma with a warn 12k lbs winch 6 KC daylighters and arb air lockers.. Has dual batteries but a stock alternator and the duals are just barley enough.. His next step would have to be the alternator for sure ..

But my question is what other nissan vehicles are interchangeable... I may have to do more digging on it but new mini vans are probably gonna be my bread and butter or even an armada.. All the additional heat seating, rear ac options, and 10 windows that are electric lol

Ill keep digging :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick check, has 20 more amps, and an extra ear on it but that can be taken off... would have to put them side by side to make sure the pulley is lined up but for 1 dollar more on good ol rock auto you would have an extra 20 amps at your disposal... but i will keep looking !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
Lights is one thing but Skinny06 makes a point.. My father has a tacoma with a warn 12k lbs winch 6 KC daylighters and arb air lockers.. Has dual batteries but a stock alternator and the duals are just barley enough.. His next step would have to be the alternator for sure ..

But my question is what other nissan vehicles are interchangeable... I may have to do more digging on it but new mini vans are probably gonna be my bread and butter or even an armada.. All the additional heat seating, rear ac options, and 10 windows that are electric lol

Ill keep digging :thumbup:
I was referring to your needs, not the guy with the winch.

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
If you have a good auto electric guy nearby who rebuilds alternators, you could always have him rebuild your original unit to a higher amperage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts