Nissan Frontier Forum banner
161 - 180 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
How do you know if the gasket from MagHyTec will fit the frontier? Their website only mentions the titan. It says some frontier rear ends, but how do I know the difference?

Depends on what axle you have. I have the Nismo model, and it has the locking differential M226 which is the same differential cover gasket (MagHyTec) as the Titan one, then it will fit. If you have the C200 (non locking/non Nismo) axle, then this MagHyTec gasket will not work.

My set up is Mag Hytec gasket (part # 2004-Present Nissan Titan Gasket) with the unpainted Stillen differential cover. I have had great luck with Stillen products.

CPS

·
Registered
854 Posts
Do you have to drain the trans before pulling the bolt out and replacing with the sensor?

It looks low enough to spill out if I pull it.

I've got everything for an install this weekend, just want to shore up the corners.

Going to install a H20 temp too, any ideas other than upper hose?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you have to drain the trans before pulling the bolt out and replacing with the sensor?

It looks low enough to spill out if I pull it.

I've got everything for an install this weekend, just want to shore up the corners.

Going to install a H20 temp too, any ideas other than upper hose?
No need to drain. Some fluid will run out but just be quick about it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
No need to drain. Some fluid will run out but just be quick about it.
Same here, it drizzled out an ounce or so, not enough to be concerned.

I did discover through the use of a variable-resistance-to-ground (gauge tester) that my new sender is, in fact, defective. I had both grounds installed, but anyway...that really makes me mad because I had it all wired up killer clean then had to undo it for testing. I just didn't believe the new sender was bad.

Anyway, I'll try to get some pics up this weekend if it helps.

·
Registered
811 Posts
OK, three months later, lol, and I finally got some time to post a reply. Long story short I used a Sport Comp II gauge.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

I selected it because it closely matched the instrument cluster, black face, white numbers, red indicator with black center and silver bezel.

Appropriate adapters

Routed the paired two wire from the gauge ground and sender tabs on the gauge to the trans ground and sensor hole underneath the body with adel clamps and body clips.

I used a angle ring adapter from Autometer BUT, I had to use the plastic retainer that came with the gauge and file it down at a 45 degree angle where it met the back of the gauge. If I used the aluminum angle ring retainer, it would ground out the gauge. Once that was good, and all the wiring listed above by the OP, all was well with the world again.

If I were to mount it straight with no angle ring, I couldn't see it very well, it was obscured on account of the downward angle of the center console where the black plastic cap is located.

THANKS cps!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm looking at this gauge. Anyone have experience with Glowshift? I think the yellow lighting scheme with the red needle would match the Frontier's gauges pretty well.

Gauge + wiring + thread adapter + fuse expanders runs about $80 shipped.

Or possible this one and save about $10. Not as flashy though.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting a very old thread. I am installing two Glow Shift gauges (water temp and oil pressure gauge on a pillar mod in my 2005 Nismo. I got my gauges today and was contemplating the most suitable location to get the power and was doing a global search on this forum and ran into this thread. I plan on doing a step-by-step

Many thanks to cps who initiated this thread long time ago and provided an excellent idea for the using the trailer wiring near the OBD adapter.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Sorry for resurrecting a very old thread. I am installing two Glow Shift gauges (water temp and oil pressure gauge on a pillar mod in my 2005 Nismo. I got my gauges today and was contemplating the most suitable location to get the power and was doing a global search on this forum and ran into this thread. I plan on doing a step-by-step

Many thanks to cps who initiated this thread long time ago and provided an excellent idea for the using the trailer wiring near the OBD adapter.
Very nice! And no problem at all, my gauge is still working just fine and I have no leaks. Please do post your step-by-step. This will also help out others.

By far one of the best mods I have done for my truck!

CPS

·
Registered
811 Posts
I posted in the other thread, too, but just wanted to make sure you knew the power on the electric brake tap is constant. For switched power, you're going to want to use the 12v power outlet in the dash or another switched source unless you want it on all the time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It was not hard at all. I just unbolted the top of the cooler and tilted it forward. The hardest part was running the wires inside the cab. I ran two wires inside, one for the ignition and one for the over ride. I used the switched wire off of the lighter for both. One ran straight out and the other ran through a switch. Here is the link to the fan.Derale 16508 Derale Tornado And High Output Electric Fans and here the link to the fan switch. Derale 16759 Derale Electric Fan Accessories
NJ, the 2 parts you linked in this post, are they the only 2 items you installed?

If I bought these without a gauge, will it auto on/off with a preset temp?

Do you have a pic of the switch? (just wanted to see what it looked like)

I am interested in putting a fan on my cooler but don't want to spend too much. Just put a new radiator in and did the trans bypass, so I want to make sure the trans cooler stays cool. Thanks in advance!

Can anyone answer these? From the way I see it, if the switch has preset temps for the fan to kick on/off, then there is no reason for a gauge.(no towing, just a little off roading and some rush hour traffic)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
my biggest concern with my truck after joining this site has been the transmission possibly failing prematurely, i have a 2012 4x4 frontier with 20k on it now and would like to keep an eye on the tranny temps so this thread is awesome. looking at buying everything the op did for the install except i like the autometer digital gauge 6349, just easier to make a quick glance at the gauge and get the temp. any possible issues with a digital gauge vs a analog gauge? thanks guys

and i noticed a few people say that they did not notice a difference in temp after the tranny fluid bypass, i live in NY so half the season its winter and the other half its warm but rarely ever over 90. is the bypass worth it, or should i get after market small cooler to hook up for the bypass?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
my biggest concern with my truck after joining this site has been the transmission possibly failing prematurely, i have a 2012 4x4 frontier with 20k on it now and would like to keep an eye on the tranny temps so this thread is awesome. looking at buying everything the op did for the install except i like the autometer digital gauge 6349, just easier to make a quick glance at the gauge and get the temp. any possible issues with a digital gauge vs a analog gauge? thanks guys

and i noticed a few people say that they did not notice a difference in temp after the tranny fluid bypass, i live in NY so half the season its winter and the other half its warm but rarely ever over 90. is the bypass worth it, or should i get after market small cooler to hook up for the bypass?
You have no valid reason to need to do the bypass on your truck. If you've seen the number of threads on the topic and have taken the time to read more than just a few of the replies you'd see that the years affected were 05-10. Drive and enjoy your truck.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·

Glad to see this thread is still alive!
As far as analog or digital, there is no real difference, just a matter of preference!

Enjoy,
CPS

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trans temp gauge

2016 CC I'm going to put in a trans temp gauge in the 4x4 switch spot. I have not decided which one. I like the resolution of the digital gauges give. I've read the adapter gotcha thread also, thanx.
Question: Anyone have an opinion on whether this installation would void the warranty?
Question 2: How much of a PITA to get the gauge lights to dim properly with the rest of the dash?

Thanx,
Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did a rough install today of my Autometer Z Series transmission temperature gauge. Hooked everything up and went for a quick drive. Stop and go temps were around 165 with an ambient temp of around 90 here in Arizona. Now it's time to button her up and choose a mounting option!

Big thanks to CPS and everyone else for the informative thread. Install was a breeze.

161 - 180 of 229 Posts