Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This information is for all of you who have installed or are thinking about installing an aftermarket transmission temperature gauge. I installed an Autometer Phantom II gauge (2 1/16") in the round blank port for the NON four wheel drive Nismo CC. There has been alot of people on here that say the 1/8" NPT sending unit fits the pressure port next to the IN and OUT cooler lines on the transmission. I have done all of the research and have listed the CORRECT adapter and sending unit needed to correctly install an Autometer gauge.

Autometer Phantom II Trans. Gauge 2 1/16" (part # 7549)

Autometer Short Style Sending Unit (part # 2259)

Autometer Metric Adapter M10-1.0 to 1/8" NPT (part # 2265)

The sending unit that comes with the gauge is too long for the transmission, so you will not be able to use it at all. You have to purchase the short style sending unit to fit into the metric adapter.

SO EVERYONE KNOWS, 1/8" NPT IS NOT THE SAME AS M10-1.0 AND THEY ARE NOT COMPATABLE. IF YOU DO USE 1/8" NPT ON OUR TRUCKS IT WILL LEAK WITH TIME.

I hope this will help everyone out in there future installs and corrections.

If you notice in the picture I moved my "Diff Lock" switch over to the last port. I just didn't want the wires to be to close together. Different look!

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
got any pics of your install?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Good call on the adapter! shouldn't need the short sensor with it tho'.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Part #2266 is the M12-1 to 1/8 NPT adapter according to Autometer's website.

Part #2265 is the M10-1 to 1/8 NPT adapter according to Autometer's website.

But thanks for the info on the adapter. This is just one of the mods on my list.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
correction on Autometer Part #

Yes you are correct, the adapter part number is 2265 (not 2266). As far as pictures go I will try to take some this weekend and get them posted. I edited my first post and changed the metric adapter part number.

Devius1, the metric adapter's center hole is not large enough for the probe end of the sender to go through, so Autometer makes a short sender version that does away with the long probe. It just fits into the end of the adapter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you're ever bored, how about giving us a step-by-step install with pics???

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reply HyperX2002

Step by step pics would have been nice when I put it in, but I have a 3 month old son who keeps me busy ALL day long. I did all of this work between the hours of 11:30 pm and 3:00 am.

The one thing that was important to me was to do this entire install without splicing into any of the factory harnesses. I did this by buying a trailer electric brake wiring harness that plugs in to a male plug under our dash. I took apart the harness and changed some of the pins around and took out the ones I did not need. I got a constant power 12V, switched power 12V, ground, and a TRUE 12V illumination wire. This last one is very important because all of the dash lighting is LED and doesn't need a full 12V. When you by an aftermarket Autometer gauge it requires a full 12V even though it is also LED. If I remember correctly I was reading 1.43V when I checked LED power source for the radio.

I will try to write up more but its time to feed my son. Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
403 Posts
awsome idea of getting a wiring harness to tie into, but where is the plug located under the dash? Thanks for the tip and I would love to see a picture of the harness wired up and of the dash zoomed out. I have the autometer #6349 that I'm going to put in soon.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I have to say this is an awesome thread. It has everything but a write-up. I like the fact that it has the PNs and why certain thing as needed.

I also like the fact that it fixes the blank where the 4wd selector would go if you are not 4wd.

I have to ask the OP thou, how are the temps reading? Also, did you do this because you tow or just because you wanted a working gauge?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have to say this is an awesome thread. It has everything but a write-up. I like the fact that it has the PNs and why certain thing as needed.

I also like the fact that it fixes the blank where the 4wd selector would go if you are not 4wd.

I have to ask the OP thou, how are the temps reading? Also, did you do this because you tow or just because you wanted a working gauge?
Dubie2003 the gauge is reading about 165 degrees on the highway and about 180 degrees in traffic. It is also 94 degrees where I live. I have also done the radiator bypass on my truck. And yes I pull a small trailer every once in a while, pulling temp reads about 190-195 degrees

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

awsome idea of getting a wiring harness to tie into, but where is the plug located under the dash? Thanks for the tip and I would love to see a picture of the harness wired up and of the dash zoomed out. I have the autometer #6349 that I'm going to put in soon.
The plug is taped to the OBD II wiring harness under the right side of the dash above your right shin. By using this plug, the gauge is truly a plug-in-play install and it can always be removed. I will get some underdash pics for you this weekend.

I ordered the Universal Brake Control Wiring (part # 20266) from etrailer.com it was around $10

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This information is for all of you who have installed or are thinking about installing an aftermarket transmission temperature gauge. I installed an Autometer Phantom II gauge (2 1/16") in the round blank port for the NON four wheel drive Nismo CC. There has been alot of people on here that say the 1/8" NPT sending unit fits the pressure port next to the IN and OUT cooler lines on the transmission. I have done all of the research and have listed the CORRECT adapter and sending unit needed to correctly install an Autometer gauge.

Autometer Phantom II Trans. Gauge 2 1/16" (part # 7549)

Autometer Short Style Sending Unit (part # 2259)

Autometer Metric Adapter M10-1.0 to 1/8" NPT (part # 2265)

The sending unit that comes with the gauge is too long for the transmission, so you will not be able to use it at all. You have to purchase the short style sending unit to fit into the metric adapter.
SO EVERYONE KNOWS, 1/8" NPT IS NOT THE SAME AS M10-1.0 AND THEY ARE NOT COMPATABLE. IF YOU DO USE 1/8" NPT ON OUR TRUCKS IT WILL LEAK WITH TIME.

I hope this will help everyone out in there future installs and corrections.

If you notice in the picture I moved my "Diff Lock" switch over to the last port. I just didn't want the wires to be to close together. Different look!
I have also included a pic of the adapter w/new short style sending unit and the exact spot where I ran the wire through the floor of the truck (right above the drive shaft) ****VERY IMPORTANT****The adapter comes with a crush washer (you will not use), you will need to remove the rubber "O" Ring from the original factory transmission plug and reuse it on the new Autometer adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got you more pics!

Passprotection....here are the pics that you requested. My finger is pointing to the white plastic harness. It is the one with the red, black, and blue wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Pics of other mods I have done...

Got a few pics of other mods I have done in the past.

1) Stillen differential Cover with MagHytec reusable gasket
2) Differential breather relocation (relocated behind passenger tail light)
3) Custom made diamond plate larger oil filter access panel (I don't have small hands to remove oil filter)

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem "Offinthedistance"....The spark plugs are really not that hard, just takes a little time and TLC. You should check out my next posting, I am supplying all ClubFrontier members with OEM Nissan part numbers for the Do-it-yourself members. I put together a spreadsheet which I will post shortly.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts