Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Fronty XE 2.4L A/T

Well, on occasion my wife would tell me that the truck makes a unusual noise sometimes and I never caught it until the other day. Basically, sometimes when I am driving I feel a vibration, I don't really hear it just feel it. It doesn't do it at any specific time other than when I am slowing down. When I am slowing down it does it almost all the time now. The vibration has not caused a change in RPM's or speed. It seems to be a humming type vibration; no chatter, grinding, or clunking.

I read all through here and didn't find anything that really pin-pointed my issue. I live in Germany for now and do all my auto work myself. I also have an OBD II scanner and there were no codes when I checked my truck. The worst I found was a couple of guys that had to change out some bearings on the A/T. I changed the transmission fluid a year and a half ago which was about 12k miles ago. Could it be a valve or some sort of pump? I have never had to work on an A/T other than change the fluid and filter.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks and take care.

-GT

"10 months left, then coming back Home."

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
hmm this makes me think your tires are out of balance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would think that also however; I noticed today that it does it around 1500-1600 RPM's and sure enough when I am slowing down and the motor hits that range. I appreciate your time, guys. I just noticed that today. My wife drives the truck mostly. I get our beater Audi, lol.

Hmmm... what now?

-GT

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I would think that also however; I noticed today that it does it around 1500-1600 RPM's and sure enough when I am slowing down and the motor hits that range. I appreciate your time, guys. I just noticed that today. My wife drives the truck mostly. I get our beater Audi, lol.

Hmmm... what now?

-GT
i would go get a full out check up like get an alignment tires rotated and have them check the balance. i bet thats your problem

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV4x4, CCLB, Pioneer DMH-1500NEX, Pro4X wheels, power rear-slider mod, Bambi-mode
233 Posts
In neutral, fully warmed up and sitting in place, no lights, AC/defroster or other electrical loads, try VERY slowly bringing the revs up from idle. Do you notice a rough spot/vibration around 1200-1600 RPM? This is somewhat typical of the VG33. New NISSAN (not aftermarket) cap and rotor will probably help somewhat, but not cure. The engines like to eat caps and rotors, btw. The can be scraped clean once or twice, but usually do not last more than about 10k miles... Had a 300 ZX w/VG30 and now Frontier w/VG33. Same with both. No problem.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'd check out your u-joints. They could be dry or starting to get flat sides in the needle bearings.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I ruled out the motor and tranny. It's definitely something that you guys are pointing too. It's getting worse too, something seems loose. I just got off work and I will look at it tomorrow. It's freezing out and snowing right now. Thanks guys for all your help. Take care.

-GT

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Yeah, I ruled out the motor and tranny. It's definitely something that you guys are pointing too. It's getting worse too, something seems loose. I just got off work and I will look at it tomorrow. It's freezing out and snowing right now. Thanks guys for all your help. Take care.

-GT
slide under the truck and give the drive lines a good shake, could be your carrier bearing or u-joints

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, everything seems fine around the wheels and a-arms. The splash-guard for front passenger wheel-well was hanging down and caught on the tire. Not sure when that happened. I know that it's not the cause, just all I found. I went down the drive shaft for the heck of it and saw this carrier/bushing, or whatever it is. Is there supposed to be a bearing in this? The way the black rubber is shaped it seems as if it is to allow some play. Honestly, I have no idea if a bearing is in it or not. There is some play when I move the drive shaft around, however, only at this point. Also there is a light sort of crunchy sound when I move the driveshaft around inside of it. Sounds almost like when a bearing is shot. But again, perhaps dirt and sand? Does anyone know for sure if a bearing is supposed to be in it? This is an area that I have never messed with on any vehicle. Thanks again for all your help guys.

-GT

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
yes, there is supposed to be a bearing in it. The bearing is mounted inside the rubber part to eliminate vibrations in the drive line.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, there is supposed to be a bearing in it. The bearing is mounted inside the rubber part to eliminate vibrations in the drive line.
I know now that there is supposed to be. I found out just after typing all that up and then I went to edit it. My wife started talking, then my laptop shut-off while talking with my wife. So I didn't edit it in time. I hate when that happens. Sorry that you had to answer that but, thank you. Basically, I think the bearing is going out if not shot. It doesn't sound too bad but, a little crunch. I am kinda thinking "What the heck, the truck is only 6 years old?", I mean I don't drive rough. I know now it's the "Driveshaft Center Support Bearing" and looking up the part and price. I really don't feel like changing this out. I'll keep you guys posted for FYI and all. Thanks again for all your help.

-GT

·
Registered
293 Posts
6 years for a center bearing is pretty good if you ask me. My old dodge I had ate one up almost every year. Did that straight from the dealership. Never did figure out why. At least it will be only a couple hundred dollar fix than a couple grand. Should look into getting your u-joints changed out at the same time, if one is sticky, it could have put more strain on the center bearing. Good luck!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
dang, $54 for a ujoint. I used to change those out annually on my 71 chevy truck for $15 each.
The carrier bearing shouldn't move (I need to check mine tho). Ive got 155K on my original bearing. Its just a rotating part and not usually under much of a load other than the weight of the shaft which isn't much for a bearing that size (smaller bearings in the wheels). Alot of the wear seems to have been due to the bearings themselves. Over on TUNFS, alot of people complained a few years ago about bearings going out fast.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was just using that link to make sure I had the right idea. I know what is what now and Auto Zone has everything that I need. Thanks again guys.

-GT

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I was just using that link to make sure I had the right idea. I know what is what now and Auto Zone has everything that I need. Thanks again guys.

-GT
havent been keeping track of this thread, so what is it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like I thought after I posted that photo, the driveshaft center support bearing is probably going out if not shot. There is a light crunching sound when you move the driveshaft around at that location. I have had bearings go out on other machines and it's always when there is an uneven/unbalanced force to one particular side of the bearing. For instance if something isn't aligned right or centered. Also, if you do alot of off-roading (me not so much, unless I go riding) that can knock things out of center a bit over time and cause it along with constant stress, force, and vibrations. In this case, as Mathster point out, it could be a bad u-joint that caused it. Whatever the case it was either what I have mentioned or just a lousy bearing. Either way I am going to go with the bearing and u-joint. I'm glad that Auto Zone ships to APO's and for free, otherwise getting the parts would be more difficult and CourtesyParts.com want's your bank account for a bearing. High five to Auto Zone. Take care.

-GT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you replace that yourself? I'm pretty sure that's what's wrong with mine. Thanks for the link. Is this bearing accessible without removing the rear trans housing? I have schematics for replacing the rear seal but it doesn't show a bearing there. OR Is the bearing you're talking about the one where the two sections of drive shaft join?

Oops. I just read back through and saw we you did indeed mean the one that supports the middle of the drive shaft. My mistake. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I also have a drivehaft support bearing that is shot...am I correct in assuming that I should not be able to move the front of the (rear section) driveshaft up and down at all by hand? There seems to be about a half-inch of play and I hear (and feel) a rattling noise at highway speed, with a low speed rumbling...
Can someone walk me through the steps for replacing i?
Does the bearing need to be pressed off/on the driveshaft yoke?
Thank you for the help...need to tackle the job this weekend on my back in the snow...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.