Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rotate my tires at every 3000 mile oil change to prolong their life, but noticed that the front tires always seem to have unusual wear. They seem to wear more on both the inside and outside sections when on the front of the vehicle. I had the truck aligned and it tracks straight, so I know that the alignment (Caster, Camber & Toe) is within specifications, but was just curious if other owners noticed the same issue.

The tires wear even again after I put them on the rear of the truck.

I was thinking that the unusual tire wear might be due to the front end geometry. The front tires seem to have unusual geometry when turning from lock-to-lock, so maybe the unusual wear cannot be avoided.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I rotate my tires at every 3000 mile oil change to prolong their life, but noticed that the front tires always seem to have unusual wear. They seem to wear more on both the inside and outside sections when on the front of the vehicle. I had the truck aligned and it tracks straight, so I know that the alignment (Caster, Camber & Toe) is within specifications, but was just curious if other owners noticed the same issue.

The tires wear even again after I put them on the rear of the truck.

I was thinking that the unusual tire wear might be due to the front end geometry. The front tires seem to have unusual geometry when turning from lock-to-lock, so maybe the unusual wear cannot be avoided.
mine wears like this too its worse on the inside.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
noticed this as well when i had my stock front end, but now even with my alignment off im not getting this... always chalked it up to a qurk of the beast....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tire pressure is frequently checked, so that is not the cause.

I believe that it is just an inherent design flaw of the front end geometry on this generation Frontier. If you turn the wheels full lock to the right, take a look at the left front tire. The tire looks like it is rolling over on the outside and appears to have excessive positive camber.

The scenario of reversed on the right front tire with full lock to the left.

All I can do is keep rotating the tires every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could have a worn tie rod. It will cause "feathering" on the tire tread as the wheel wobbles. Being in correct alignment is great, but if the tie rod is worn, the wear will occur.

Also, the tire spends a very small part of its life turned at full lock. Most of the time it's rolling straight, so I wouldn't worry about geometry.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
what tire pressure are you putting into the tires. Are you reading the pressure off the drivers door and off the max pressure on the tire.

Mine are 35psi all four tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Probably the type of tires you are running. I had Goodyear wranglers do the same thing you are describing and it drove me nuts. My BF Good all terrains wore the exact opposite, tons of tread on the sides and none in the middle. I always kept pressure at 34psi.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've always had to keep my front tires at 40psi or so to keep them wearing square. Inner and outer edges wearing is low air pressure. Inner wear is negitive camber, which is a factory spec, on the '01s anyway. Gotta rotate a lot to keep 'em square.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
My first thought was tire pressure not right. Unless your running OEM replacements, I would go with the pressure on the tire, not what nissan says to use. I run my at about 50 when I know Im towing or hauling, 40 otherwise.

my left is feathering bad. I guess I need to do some frontend work when it warms up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My tire pressure philosphy is a combination of both suggestions. I run it higher than the recommended amount on the door sticker, but not at maiximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall.

I start at the door sticker pressure and keep increasing it by 2 pounds until the ride is too hard. So, I'm probably at 36 psi front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts