Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Frontier S Crew Cab 4WD 6cyl Short bed
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typed out the whole story of my trip over the mountains of Utah and Wyoming. How I'm towing for the first time, and the joy that came in jackknifing out of a parking lot and probing/re-splicing wiring & hind-and-go-seek with blown fuses.

All to ask why my oil temperature gauge didn't move while pulling a trailer for the first time over Utah and Wyoming mountains. The trailer is a 2010 Tracer Micro M-205 @ 23 ft & 3k lb (dry). Light enough that we can pull it in our half-ton Frontiers, but heavy enough that I would have expected some gauge movement.

It just sat at center with no change through the entire trip. As I'm typing this out, I'm realizing that the 2016 S may not have had an oil temperature sensor, and that I have an aftermarket SV cluster, without a sensor connected to it.

Still, I would think the wiring harness would be the same for the S & SV, and a bad or missing sensor would show a constant high or low reading on the cluster. No CEL codes pending on my bluetooth ODB-II, which displays coolant temperature (via the Torque App), but not oil pressure.

Any thoughts on why I'm not getting a change in oil pressure according to the gauge?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Sure it isn’t oil pressure gauge instead of a oil temp gauge?

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,324 Posts
I typed out the whole story of my trip over the mountains of Utah and Wyoming. How I'm towing for the first time, and the joy that came in jackknifing out of a parking lot and probing/re-splicing wiring & hind-and-go-seek with blown fuses.

All to ask why my oil temperature gauge didn't move while pulling a trailer for the first time over Utah and Wyoming mountains. The trailer is a 2010 Tracer Micro M-205 @ 23 ft & 3k lb (dry). Light enough that we can pull it in our half-ton Frontiers, but heavy enough that I would have expected some gauge movement.

It just sat at center with no change through the entire trip. As I'm typing this out, I'm realizing that the 2016 S may not have had an oil temperature sensor, and that I have an aftermarket SV cluster, without a sensor connected to it.

Still, I would think the wiring harness would be the same for the S & SV, and a bad or missing sensor would show a constant high or low reading on the cluster. No CEL codes pending on my bluetooth ODB-II, which displays coolant temperature (via the Torque App), but not oil pressure.

Any thoughts on why I'm not getting a change in oil pressure according to the gauge?
I think our oil pressure gauge is really just an indicator of whether or not we have oil pressure - not how much oil pressure there is. If it's working normally, it will move up to about the middle when you start your engine and stay there - regardless of engine RPM or load.

·
Registered
920 Posts
So your truck towed fine all through the mountains and your oil pressure gauge read normal? I also have an S model. Mine also drives and tows well and I have normal gauge readings. Probably something we should investigate further.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
The earlier Frontiers had an oil pressure sensor that was live. The needle moved with the pressure. About 2008, Nissan changed it to a pressure switch. Meaning the needle is nothing more than an idiot light.
This is correct. The only gauge that does anything is the fuel level. The engine temp and oil pressure guages are "idiot needles". Between cheap manufacturers and stupid drivers, the dumbing down of America continues. Folk get excited and nervous when their oil pressure and engine temp gauges fluctuate while driving. Well hey there Mr John Q Public, big insider tip, thats normal.
I installed true coolant temp and transmission oil temp gauges cause I'd like to see what my powertrain's doing before it blows up.

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SV KC 2WD V6 Auto
1,324 Posts
This is correct. The only gauge that does anything is the fuel level. The engine temp and oil pressure guages are "idiot needles". Between cheap manufacturers and stupid drivers, the dumbing down of America continues. Folk get excited and nervous when their oil pressure and engine temp gauges fluctuate while driving. Well hey there Mr John Q Public, big insider tip, thats normal.
I installed true coolant temp and transmission oil temp gauges cause I'd like to see what my powertrain's doing before it blows up.
View attachment 332740
I don't agree the engine temp gauge is an idiot needle - it will move up if the engine gets hot. The oil pressure gauge is an ON or OFF gauge..

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I don't agree the engine temp gauge is an idiot needle - it will move up if the engine gets hot. The oil pressure gauge is an ON or OFF gauge..
Oh, its still an idiot needle alright. If you get it to the top portion of its travel and don't shut the engine off in seconds, minutes at most, you've got a warped block and toasty cylinder heads. Head gaskets, hasta la veesta baby. Then you may feel like an idiot. The factory guage is pretty much useless, I never even look at it anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The guys are correct. Just "Idiot" Guage. I don't know if swapping to the older sending unit would make them functional! Anyone?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Oh, its still an idiot needle alright. If you get it to the top portion of its travel and don't shut the engine off in seconds, minutes at most, you've got a warped block and toasty cylinder heads. Head gaskets, hasta la veesta baby. Then you may feel like an idiot. The factory guage is pretty much useless, I never even look at it anymore.
We've had many owners with overheat situations report their needle at the top of the range. I think it is not an idiot needle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help, guys. I monitor my engine temp via bluetooth ODB-II / Torque because of a personal history of vehicles that ran hot, and the fact that having the scanner up has saved me from getting at least 2 traffic tickets (aaaaalmost 3). It's too bad that we can't get the transmission coolant temp without an aftermarket gauge.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys. I monitor my engine temp via bluetooth ODB-II / Torque because of a personal history of vehicles that ran hot, and the fact that having the scanner up has saved me from getting at least 2 traffic tickets (aaaaalmost 3). It's too bad that we can't get the transmission coolant temp without an aftermarket gauge.
Transmission fluid temperature? In the original post you asked about oil temperature.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Transmission fluid temperature? In the original post you asked about oil temperature.
It's been a long night.....
I suppose both would be good to track. My understanding is that the oil pressure (not temp, if I said that at some point), has a gauge on the dash, but from what's said here, it's not really useful information. The Transmission fluid temp would require a separate aftermarket gauge, I believe. Both numbers, along with engine temperature should be considered when pulling a trailer.

Does that sound right?

·
Registered
368 Posts
2015 no oil gauge either.
RYAND, where did u plug the oil and water gauges in?

I have trans gauge aftermarket that does work. Trans fluid goes through the bottom of the radiator. 150 degrees is normal, it will head towards 200, yet the coolant dummy gauge does not move.
WE need working gauges, when whater temps get high, thats when you roll down windows and turn on the heater, turn off the A/C or slow down, or check to see if fan clutch is working (or electric fan)...

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
2015 no oil gauge either.
RYAND, where did u plug the oil and water gauges in?

I have trans gauge aftermarket that does work. Trans fluid goes through the bottom of the radiator. 150 degrees is normal, it will head towards 200, yet the coolant dummy gauge does not move.
WE need working gauges, when water temps get high, that's when you roll down windows and turn on the heater, turn off the A/C or slow down, or check to see if fan clutch is working (or electric fan)...
Otruck0, I did a Chinese in-hose adapter from Amazon for water temps, the hose clamps were junk but the adapter body itself was very well machined, nicely CNC'd and the threads were perfect, didn't require any chasing w/ a tap, the supplied probe from Autometer threaded right in and tightened up nicely. Don't forget this adapter has a small ground lead screw on the body that must be connected to a solid engine or chassis ground or you will get ZERO guage readings.
For the transmission, I copied what several others on here had already done and used the Jatco pressure test port of the passenger's side of the transmission casing.

Autometer Water Temp Gauge 105-4437
Gauge Sender Adapter - fit upper rad hose perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=clubfrontierconvert-20

Autometer Transmission Temp Gauge 105-4457
Transmission Test Plug Adapter 1/8" NPT X M10 105-2265
Short Sender - std length supplied with gauge will not fit 105-2259
2-5/8" Diametre mounting cups 555-41256

I chose the 2-5/8" series cause they are bigger and easier to read for old eyes like me LOL ( I'm 55 ). I have a Pro4 so the Autometer part numbers are for the white face orange pointer gauges that match very well with the Pro's OEM white face gauge package. 2-1/8" gauges are available, as are black or carbon fibre face and then of course some prefer digital. Autometer senders will work with any of the same compatible series of gauges so the sender numbers I provided are applicable to a range of selected gauges to meet what your appearance desires are. NOTE that the Autometer gauges with an extra-wide pointer travel ( full sweep ) are NOT compatible with these senders.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks ryanD. I did the trans temp first when I got truck. I used the test port. Any ideas on how the test port represents the actual temps?
I will look into the water temp now. I happen to have that same part, but in a 38mm size, not 36. Anyone here use a 38 on these hoses? I wonder if I can just force it or will it rip the hose?

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Thanks ryanD. I did the trans temp first when I got truck. I used the test port. Any ideas on how the test port represents the actual temps?
I will look into the water temp now.
Seeing as how this port is supposed to be used for pressure diagnostics issues by a Jatco / Nissan tech, I would expect it to be just after the pressure pump and before the hot fluid goes to the cooler, which I would expect would be after it passes through the converter and band(s) to do the work the fluid does. So it should be the hottest spot in the transmission with the exception of the internals of the converter itself, which in my understanding, is hottest of all when unlocked and whipping the fluid into frenzy.

Reactions: 0truck0
1 - 20 of 24 Posts